From DR to Cuba?

Feb 15, 2005
No IL62s after the engine explosion shortly after take off from Santo Domingo a couple of years ago. They can't fix it anymore, no parts available :) Now they use Tupolev 204. Every flight with Cubana can be your last flight, so I prefer Copa with connection in Panama, for the same price.

Thanks. How did you purchase your tickets. Can a someone with a Dominican passport passthru Panama?

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Thanks. How did you purchase your tickets. Can a someone with a Dominican passport passthru Panama?
You can purchase your tickets online or in Copa's office, you also need to buy a visa (well, it's not a visa, some kind of a tourist card), you can buy that visa in Cubana's office, not sure if you they have it in Copa's office. You can pass thru Panama's airport transit area with Dominican passport, no problem.

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
Cuba is really beautiful : Pi?ar Del Rio, Matanzas, Trinidad, Cienfuegos, Santa Clara, La Havana. Vi?ales is a wonderful place to see.

The only problem in Cuba is quality food... but the place is Safe ( nothing related to the DR), and they are the best musicians of the Caribbeans...love cuba

Feb 15, 2005
Cuba is really beautiful : Pi?ar Del Rio, Matanzas, Trinidad, Cienfuegos, Santa Clara, La Havana. Vi?ales is a wonderful place to see.

The only problem in Cuba is quality food... but the place is Safe ( nothing related to the DR), and they are the best musicians of the Caribbeans...love cuba

Sounds like a wonderful place to take a Dominican national with few alternatives to visit another country.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Sounds like a wonderful place to take a Dominican national with few alternatives to visit another country.
If that Dominican national has no US visa, Colombia can be a good alternative, Cartagena (and some islands near Cartagena) and San Andres are good tourist destinations, other cities in Colombia are good too.

Cuba is a wonderful place to see how idiotic is communist system.

Feb 15, 2005
If that Dominican national has no US visa, Colombia can be a good alternative, Cartagena (and some islands near Cartagena) and San Andres are good tourist destinations, other cities in Colombia are good too.

Cuba is a wonderful place to see how idiotic is communist system.

It'll be for an unforgettable life experience for them, which I want to provide. So you think Cartegena above Cuba? I've heard Cartegena or I think Barranquilla was mentioned as being awesome.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Uruguay is a nice country for a Dominican to visit without a Visa. Argentina was great until they made Dominicans get a Visa, Uruguay is right next door. You can take Copa through Panama to get there. Long trip, but worth it.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
- DR is really more beautiful
- Cuba is at this moment really much more safe
- You can find good food in Cuba, but need to look for it
- Salsa is perfect, but you won't find a cuban girl who can dance bachata. Well, maybe, but she has learned it in Europa.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
It'll be for an unforgettable life experience for them, which I want to provide. So you think Cartegena above Cuba? I've heard Cartegena or I think Barranquilla was mentioned as being awesome.
It's better to see both. Cartagena has very beautiful Walled City, it's sad that Dominicans can't keep Zona Colonial in the same shape like Walled City. You can travel to some beautiful islands like Isla Palma from Cartagena. And Cuba is good to see old cars, idiotic communist system, and relax on the beach in Varadero.

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
La Havana is great for the monuments, the malecon, the old american cars and the salsa clubs. On the other hand Varadero is great for his beach ( wowww that beach is nice ). I am planning to visit all the Eastern side of Cuba this year with my wife. I want to see Santiago de Cuba ( great place for music) and listen some Changui in Guantanamo.

Cuba is great, for culture, history, music , people and his vegetation ( soroa is a stunning place)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
So for US citizens who traveled.. how did that go for you? Did you bring dollars? I understand that the dollar exchange rate is not good. Or was the trip fully paid for? Or what? Is there any way that the US government can find out if you fly out of the US and are a resident here? I understand that the Cubans do not stamp US passports,. right?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
La Havana is great for the monuments, the malecon, the old american cars and the salsa clubs. On the other hand Varadero is great for his beach ( wowww that beach is nice ). I am planning to visit all the Eastern side of Cuba this year with my wife. I want to see Santiago de Cuba ( great place for music) and listen some Changui in Guantanamo.

Cuba is great, for culture, history, music , people and his vegetation ( soroa is a stunning place)

Varadero has always been a DR also-rean experience... a peninsula of beaches (nice beaches yes) that caters all-inclusive packages to the Canadian/Euro crowd. It is a few hours drive from La Havana and doesn't offer any real Cuban experiences, apart from the excursion to Matanzas, with maybe a fake saunter ceremony thrown in.

For a Dominican to visit for a few days - the most condensed experience and interesting parts would be found in the Capital. La Habana Vieja is a beautiful old Colonial city - it was the Spanish capital in the Carribean and it shows ... the fortress across the bay is very interesting, offers great views, good meals and the salute ceremony, a visit to EL Capitol is great to see an exact duplicate of the Capital but just a fraction smaller, the best restaurants and hotels are in LA Habana... then the clubs, they are great with good atmosphere and live music...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
So for US citizens who traveled.. how did that go for you? Did you bring dollars? I understand that the dollar exchange rate is not good. Or was the trip fully paid for? Or what? Is there any way that the US government can find out if you fly out of the US and are a resident here? I understand that the Cubans do not stamp US passports,. right?

Take anything but US dollars. Exchange for Canadian dollars in the DR before you go. They do not stamp any passports not just US. Do not take any American credit cards. I don't think you can fly out directly from the US best to go from the DR. Have fun :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Last time I went to Cuba they used US Dollars as currency and had bills that were "Convertible Pesos that equaled dollars. This was about 15 years ago. So it could be different now, but then US Dollars were what you wanted to have.

As for being an American, there is no problem going from the DR or Nassau with a US Passport. Cuba will not stamp your Passport ever. Go and enjoy. After all it is Free World, even if the US thinks different.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
The fine for Us citizens is $7500 .. so I am not that tempted.. but curious how others did it

and still americans dare to dream that their country has a democracy, USA is a huge prison that lives a dream built by Hollywood, it is a real Evil Empire.