Frozen Meat in Carry On Allowed?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
..................... Then I stumbled on the small frozen turkey breast as ice remedy....which I now use exclusively.............

Not much of a turkey breast fan but will try a Perdue oven stuffer roaster next time. I do understand your reasoning as frozen poultry seems to take a year and a day to defrost. I have had years of success of just putting all the frozen meat inside a tightly sealded cardboard box inside my checked luggage. Travel time for me is freezer USA to freezer DR never more than 8 hours.

i prefer doing the checked luggage method. Never had a problem clearing customs at SDQ, got some strange looks but they never confiscated a thing.

Jan 9, 2004
Not much of a turkey breast fan but will try a Perdue oven stuffer roaster next time. I do understand your reasoning as frozen poultry seems to take a year and a day to defrost. I have had years of success of just putting all the frozen meat inside a tightly sealded cardboard box inside my checked luggage. Travel time for me is freezer USA to freezer DR never more than 8 hours.

i prefer doing the checked luggage method. Never had a problem clearing customs at SDQ, got some strange looks but they never confiscated a thing.

I am guessing a chicken may work as well.....although the legs and wings would likely unthaw fairly quickly....thus why I use the frozen turkey breast 3-5 pounds. Those things take forever to unthaw.....and thus the reason they make an excellent ice substitute. Besides, when I am ready, I can also have a nice turkey dinner.....

My freezer to freezer time is about the same as yours....usually around 8 hours.

Carryon or checked is usually a space available decision for me. Normally, I am also bringing whole wheat bread, bulkies, or hamburg rolls (Dominican bread is awful in my opinion)....and those items definitely survive the trip better in carryons.

While I too have never had a problem with Customs, but as you likely are aware, you are supposed to declare any plants, vegetables, fruits, meat, fish or poultry.

Bon Apetit.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
......... I am also bringing whole wheat bread, bulkies, or hamburg rolls (Dominican bread is awful in my opinion)....and those items definitely survive the trip better in carryons.......

Whew, i can rest now knowing i am not the ONLY one bringing down sliced bread, burger and hot dog rolls......... LOL

Jan 9, 2004
Whew, i can rest now knowing i am not the ONLY one bringing down sliced bread, burger and hot dog rolls......... LOL

And I also feel better that I am not alone in thinking Dominican bread is awful lol.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
You start out just bringing in some corn beef and pastrami, and then it becomes steaks and chops and you end being a mule for your local butcher. They have clinics that can help you with your addiction. Please get help or god knows what you will be bringing in next? Kosher half dill pickles? I feel your pain.

Kosher half-sours would be a problem, as you can't freeze them. But I can make them, so for the number of times I eat a pickle, I can live with it.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
My apologies to everyone - Must have been a seniors moment but I thought the OP asked about bringing meat etc INTO the DR.
Not within the USA. It is only the country you are entering that you should be concerned with, not from where you are leaving.
And yes if you are bringing a 50 Lb rib eye into Canada - give me a few weeks to get hired and please tell me the flight number you are on.

As an aside, I don't care if you have to much tobacco products but be sure to triple up on the rum allowance so I can marinate the steaks.
One of these days, very soon, when you go through Immigration your travel record will show that you are not a 10 day tourist, and "OMG I got pulled over for a secondary inspection and B***'s took all my food stuff and detained- J**** I may end up in jail!!!" Esto nunca pasó antes!

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
My apologies to everyone - Must have been a seniors moment but I thought the OP asked about bringing meat etc INTO the DR.
Not within the USA. It is only the country you are entering that you should be concerned with, not from where you are leaving.
And yes if you are bringing a 50 Lb rib eye into Canada - give me a few weeks to get hired and please tell me the flight number you are on.

As an aside, I don't care if you have to much tobacco products but be sure to triple up on the rum allowance so I can marinate the steaks.
One of these days, very soon, when you go through Immigration your travel record will show that you are not a 10 day tourist, and "OMG I got pulled over for a secondary inspection and B***'s took all my food stuff and detained- J**** I may end up in jail!!!" Esto nunca pasó antes!

What are you talking about? Senior moment, or after bar moment?

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
OK I must be wrong... but please let me know (and all of us), what happens when to tell the guy that takes your DR declaration, that he needs to read it and check your luggage because you are bringing in two 50 lb suitcases of meat and dairy products.
I promise to come visit you in the Higuey jail.If you get away with it - I expect a dinner invite.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
OK I must be wrong... but please let me know (and all of us), what happens when to tell the guy that takes your DR declaration, that he needs to read it and check your luggage because you are bringing in two 50 lb suitcases of meat and dairy products.
I promise to come visit you in the Higuey jail.If you get away with it - I expect a dinner invite.

Well then for you, and "all of us" who happen to think like you, you are absolutely right my friend. What could I have been thinking? I must have had a senior moment myself. No. No, I would never think of bringing meat and dairy products to the DR. I wouldn't want to wind up in the Higuey jail. And by the way my friend, what is the proper name of the jail in Higuey?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Well then for you, and "all of us" who happen to think like you, you are absolutely right my friend. What could I have been thinking? I must have had a senior moment myself. No. No, I would never think of bringing meat and dairy products to the DR. I wouldn't want to wind up in the Higuey jail. And by the way my friend, what is the proper name of the jail in Higuey?

Don't worry if you end up in jail as i will bring you down some nice steaks on my next flight.

May 29, 2006
US meat may not be a problem, but they massacred most of the pigs on the island in the 70s when some pork from Europe started an outbreak of Africa Swine Fever. 99% fatal to pigs and highly contagious.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Whatever meat or dairy I bring with me will be in my stomach long before the Men In Black come to take me away to the "Higuey jail".

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We and our meat and cheese arrived without incident.

Stopped at the Downtown Center in SD to activate phones and Internet, nice mall! Even nicer bathroom, toilet seats, paper and Toto brand toilet and sink. I had to laugh.

Jan 9, 2004
We and our meat and cheese arrived without incident.

Stopped at the Downtown Center in SD to activate phones and Internet, nice mall! Even nicer bathroom, toilet seats, paper and Toto brand toilet and sink. I had to laugh.

Thanks for checking in. We were worried you might be in jail....in Higuey.....and CB would have been very depressed lol.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Many times, contrary to public belief,
life here is easier than predicted...... I find.

But the drama keeps us occupied

glad you did it and reported it.

I can almost guarantee the same conversation when somebdy asks the same question in the future

haha
old habits die hard

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Were they still there when you left?
:classic: mob

Yep, and if I can figure out how to load photos from this new phone, I have proof. This is my first non IPhone in about 10-12 years, and I don't speak Droid. RubioHiguey, this is that Honor phone Amazon Prime offered months back that you recommended

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
IMG_20170121_144531.jpg

Here's one