Fruits to satisfy your soul

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Hillbilly said:
DEAL!!!

We can do a barter: Hot sauce for Presidente or Hot Sauce for Cigars, or hot Sauce for Organic Coffee. You name what you need...

HB

CIGARS? Did you say Cigars?
I have 6 humidors in my house. I usually maintain a running stock of 300-400 at all times! You have a deal. Just no Cuban cigars ok? It's a political thing!

Tony C.

bluepool

Feb 16, 2002
Thank you for your lovely post, although it did serve in making me miss the DR even more! :) How did you come to live in Santiago? My uncle and his family live in Jarabacoa and I'll be moving there (finally) sometime this year. It has been 5 years . . . . I will stay as long as I can.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Who you talkin' to Willis?

"Me or AZB???

Love jarabacoa, especially now that the golf course if nice and fixed up and the road there is nicer.

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Bluepool, I am a big fan of jarabacoa. Whenever, i get a chance, i drive up there to get away from santiago.
When you will move down there (jarabacoa) please invite me to your house. I would love to make some friend there. In return, you will get a bag full of mangos whenever i show up at your door step.
deal?

Esteban

Feb 22, 2002
I've had almost every fruit the caribbean and North America has to offer but sometimes people have no idea what I'm talking about. Here's a quick translation guide for some of the more common fruits used in DR.

Guanabana=Soursop
Mora=Blackberry
Lechosa=Papaya
Zapote, Mamey=Zapote
Guineo=Banana
Uva de Playa=Sea Grape
Cereza=Cherry
Fresa=Strawberry
Frambuesa=Raspberry
Guayaba=Guava
Granadilla, Parcha, Chinola=Passion Fruit
Tamarindo=Tamarind
Toronja=Grapefruit
Ciruela=Plum
Naranja, China=Orange
Limon verde=Lime
Albaricoque=Apricot
Melocoton=Peach

There's actually a pretty complete guide with the more common herbs and vegetables at: http://www.nappo.org/span-dic_s.htm

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
DR Fruits

I thought that I would share a little of my knowledge on fruits found in the DR.

There are many varieties found in the DR. The most famous and sought after is the Banilejo. Which has smooth texture, sweet and very tasty. Bani has the best climate (dry & hot) in the country for growing Mangos and also has excellent soil. If you are thinking of buying a small mango tree for planting make sure it is grafted with a Banilejo.

Citrics- The DR has an excellent climate for growing citric trees and has the future potential of being a major export product. Unlike Florida the DR never suffers from winter frosts. There are several types of oranges found. 1. Washingtonia- as it is known here, is a variety that is sweet and is peeled and eaten. 2. Valenciana- is is more bitter and used for Orange juice. 3. Criolla- which has a distintive local taste and is also usually used to make juice. 4.China Agria- Is a very bitter orange that is used to prepare or season meats such as chicken.

There are two types of lemons commonly found. Limon agria which are small round fruits and Limon Persa which resemble the American yellow variety in size and shape but are green. They are excellent for making juice.

Then you have Mandarins that come in both large and small varieties. Grapefruit or Toronga come in both pink and white varieties.

I have a few Carambola or Star Fruit trees that produce an excellent juice. I am also a great fan of Chinola or Passion Fruit. Also Lechoza with lemon!! Caimito is another favorite. There are many others..

If anyone wants some advice on planting tropical fruit here in the DR or where to get the trees from, drop me a line at:

mokelly@hotmail.com
Caribbean Landscape

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
DR Fruits

I thought that I would share a little of my knowledge on fruits found in the DR.

There are many varieties found in the DR. The most famous and sought after is the Banilejo. Which has smooth texture, sweet and very tasty. Bani has the best climate (dry & hot) in the country for growing Mangos and also has excellent soil. If you are thinking of buying a small mango tree for planting make sure it is grafted with a Banilejo.

Citrics- The DR has an excellent climate for growing citric trees and has the future potential of being a major export product. Unlike Florida the DR never suffers from winter frosts. There are several types of oranges found. 1. Washingtonia- as it is known here, is a variety that is sweet and is peeled and eaten. 2. Valenciana- is is more bitter and used for Orange juice. 3. Criolla- which has a distintive local taste and is also usually used to make juice. 4.China Agria- Is a very bitter orange that is used to prepare or season meats such as chicken.

There are two types of lemons commonly found. Limon agria which are small round fruits and Limon Persa which resemble the American yellow variety in size and shape but are green. They are excellent for making juice.

Then you have Mandarins that come in both large and small varieties. Grapefruit or Toronga come in both pink and white varieties.

I have a few Carambola or Star Fruit trees that produce an excellent juice. I am also a great fan of Chinola or Passion Fruit. Also Lechoza with lemon!! Caimito is another favorite. There are many others..

If anyone wants some advice on planting tropical fruit here in the DR or where to get the trees from, drop me a line at:

mokelly@hotmail.com
Caribbean Landscape

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
You have never tasted fruit til you eat it here! I ate fruit all the time in EE.UU. Expensive or not. But now I've had it here I'll never eat fruit again when in America. Just watch out for the mangos and some of the more fiberous friuts..have dental floss handy of you'll be picking at your teeth all day! The only thing good about that is you get a little burst of flavor throughout the day as each morsle escapes from between the teeth!! jejeje