Fulcar: Thousands of Bibles and hundreds of classics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Biblias-en-las-escuelas-Diario-Libre.jpg

Education Minister Roberto Fulcar announced on Wednesday, 15 September 2021, that thousands of Bibles will be distributed this new school year to students in public schools of the Dominican Republic. Fulcar made the announcement when launching the Ministry’s “Dominicana Reads,” a national plan for the promotion of books and reading.

“We are going to distribute hundreds of classics and thousands of bibles, because we want reading in its broadest sense, because we want reading as an exercise of freedom, as a free exercise, as an exercise of love and as an exercise of self-confidence. Let no one tell us that this or that book should not be read,” Fulcar said in making the announcement.

During the launching of the plan at the Pedro Henríquez Ureña National Library, the Minister added that reading builds generations of free, transforming and tolerant men and women.

The...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have a problem with this idea. The Bible is one of the most difficult books to read and to understand and for young people it has to be taught properly or there is a problem with Christian fundamentalism. I think that it is a waste of time and money to just dish Bibles out. What are the classics in Spanish except for Don Quixote ? I can think of many classics from England, France and Germany but none from Spain .

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I have a problem with this idea. The Bible is one of the most difficult books to read and to understand and for young people it has to be taught properly or there is a problem with Christian fundamentalism. I think that it is a waste of time and money to just dish Bibles out. What are the classics in Spanish except for Don Quixote ? I can think of many classics from England, France and Germany but none from Spain .
That might be the case and you might know many classics from England, France, Germany and god knows where else...however the subject thread addresses a statement from the Minister of Education. (In the DR). To introduce your "there is a problem with Christian fundamentalism? " goes against the TOS on this board...I believe.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
They don't have to be Spanish authors just translated into Spanish and yes it should be 100s of bibles and thousands of classics. We have little women, uncle toms cabin, Grim ferry tales....etc in Spanish.

Aug 21, 2007
What good are Bibles if the population is basically illiterate? Many here in Jamao walk around with their Bibles, although they cannot read a single word. It is just a symbol, a costly one, at that.

Also, I wonder if this is necessary? Many churches give out Bibles once a year. I hear announcements that anyone who wants a Bible can come pick one up.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
I'm all for trying to improve the education in the RD, but getting kids to try and read and understand the bible.........really ?

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
This country doesn’t seem to be progressing at all with anything. Education should be the highest priority and they don’t give a fuck. The bible. Ridiculous.

Reactions: scot_tosh

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Thanks for the kind words but the online church I goto does use the KJV and I know many other churches that use the same. Personally I don't like it.

The issue though is that if there is a Spanish version, in other words, is there something comparable to Old English, aka Old Spanish? That's what I'm trying to understand. The reason I am concerned is that it needs to be a modern version, not the old out of date version. Giving out old Spanish versions won't help that many people.
The bibles that the young people use in la Romana are written in good polite Spanish with correct use of the subjunctive. I am almost sure they are from the USA .

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
This thread is locked because people cannot manage to stay on topic and off the forbidden topic of religion.

I will work on cleaning this up and then see if if reopening is tenable.

Reactions: aarhus
Status
Not open for further replies.