Future DR Rail System

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Very interesting. I didn't know that. Was this railway built in the Trujillo era?
Before.

It's an interesting history. The tunnel near Puerto Plata on the way to Navarette was originally a train tunnel.

Trujillo was upset with some North coast folks at one point and had all of the tracks removed.
Here's an earlier post on DR1:

The railway was inaugurated on 16th. August 1897 by then President Ulises Heureaux (Lilis). It ran from Puerto Plata to Santiago and was managed by a state company, the F.C.D. (Ferrocarril Central Dominicano). It was originally financed by a Dutch bank but in 1892 debts were passed to the Santo Domingo Improvement Company of New York. In 1906 Ramon Caceres signed the contract for the line extension to Moca. Most of the work was carried out under President Horacio Vasquez, and the extension became operational on the 24th. of October 1909. The tunnel that people going from PP to Santiago are familiar with was built sometime in the early 20th century.

It was used for transporting agricultural produce from the Cibao to the port at PP for export and imports shipped to PP were taken from there by train to Santiago.

The PP station itself is now the Civil Defence HQ on Avenida Colon. Station buildings were originally brought in from Germany. I think the railway ceased functioning around 1952.

Last edited:

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Dominican_Republic_rail_map_1925.jpg

Here's a railway map of Dominican Republic from 1925. Such a shame that everything got closed in the 1950's.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I recently went on the Bavaro Express bus from SD to Punta Cana airport and it was horrible getting out of SD. Luckily I went the day before my flight. So I am also for it.
We did this once couple of years back, and the terminal in SDQ is just in an awkward place, you have to drag your suitcases on a pavement and yes, almost the first 1.5 hours we were just stuck in the capital... We also had plenty of time so no problem... The bus/service itself was top-notch...

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
We did this once couple of years back, and the terminal in SDQ is just in an awkward place, you have to drag your suitcases on a pavement and yes, almost the first 1.5 hours we were just stuck in the capital... We also had plenty of time so no problem... The bus/service itself was top-notch...
Josh, I don't know if you know or not, but you didn't have to go into the capital, ie, cross the bridge. You could have taken a taxi or guagua to SDEste at Sabana Largo where there is a station for Bavaro Express. I've done it once so far and it worked nicely.

XQT

Dec 7, 2022
Puerto Plata
do you how railroads and mountains work... well not very well
Ever heard of the CP Railway completed in 1885 through Canadian Rockies and BC mountains?

Of course there are more modern examples.
The Chunnel

Can you imagine that tunnels also run beneath the oceans?

How is this related to the DR?
Strangely the DR is linked to what happens off island in the modern world.
All advanced technology comes to the DR from the outside in the form of investments and aid.

If a rail network is ever build in the DR it will be done with outside tech, investments and help.
If there was a will it would be relatively easy to build a few main rail trunk lines on this small island.
PUJ-SDQ-STI-POP

Can you imagine the effect this would have on DR pollution, public, tourist, commercial transport?
The effect of less traffic and traffic deaths.

With the right long range plans and international partners the DR government could move the DR into the future.
Tourism, commerce, public transit.
In the developed world electric trams, light rail for shorter distances and fast long distance rail is a reality.

These are existing realities, achieved through proper planing and expenditures.
Even the DR could do it!

If you don't close your mind and operate with blinders, you will see how the outside world is connected to the DR and what happens here.
More than just the limited view of the price of DR rice and beans and somewhat more interesting.

Time to shed the narrow focus, the future is here!

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
What sort of a dumb arse comment is that. Haven't we been digging for tunnels through mountains and under rivers since well before you were born? This is not new technology.
If it's so easy to dig tunnels through mountains, why aren't there any on either Hwy 21 or Hwy 25? You're not in Kansas anymore.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You're comparing "apples to oranges", Hijo. Why do you think they cancelled the Ambar Highway? Too expensive!!!

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
If it's so easy to dig tunnels through mountains, why aren't there any on either Hwy 21 or Hwy 25? You're not in Kansas anymore.
Let me explain: The DR won't build a tunnel for a train because the contractors around the globe that do this sort of work refuse to participate in another Odebrecht scandal. Now we can't find someone to kick back 30%, and we certainly won't do it ourselves because that would mean giving up rum and dominoes on many Saturdays, Sundays and various saint holidays. Thank you for your time!

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
A few years ago the Swiss completed a 38 mile tunnel under the mountains. Took almost 20 years

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Let me explain: The DR won't build a tunnel for a train because the contractors around the globe that do this sort of work refuse to participate in another Odebrecht scandal. Now we can't find someone to kick back 30%, and we certainly won't do it ourselves because that would mean giving up rum and dominoes on many Saturdays, Sundays and various saint holidays. Thank you for your time!
Wrong. The DR doesn't have the money for a project like that. If it doesn't work economically for vehicles, it certainly doesn't make sense for a passenger train. If it is ever built, it will go the route shown on the map.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
No comparison. The alps are real mountains. In this country they can't even build a 120 foot bridge without low spots and dips and high spots over a small creek. Never gonna happen here.
But that's not the point. Of course the Dominicans aren't going to build it. Did they build Punta Catalina? The Dominicans don't have the expertise or equipment to build a train tunnel. China will do it. Owing China for the tunnel fits right in with Chinese model!

Reactions: NY-DR Commuter

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I think that's pretty much why they are suggesting going to Santiago and then onwards to Montecristi. And across to Punta Cana and over to Pedernales. That pretty much joins up everywhere the rich families own assets and need to move people and freight.