Gangs and Politics in Haiti

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Please give us your personal take on Haiti, in your own words. Current, re: gangs, rationale for kidnappings, whatever but your thoughts.
Here's my opinion.
Haiti is a sh*thole and it's their own doing.
That said all of my Haitian friend's have told me the exact same thing when the topic of how screwed up Haiti is has been discussed among us.
"Haitian problems need to be solved by Haitian people on Haitian soil."

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Here's my opinion.
That said all of my Haitian friend's have told me the exact same thing when the topic of how screwed up Haiti is has been discussed among us.
Oh oh wasn’t this how you got banned as this rhetoric escalated?

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona
Here's my opinion.
I'm not sure that history completely agrees with you, although clearly there have been times in history when Haitian political leaders, of Haitian descent, on Haitian soil have not been looking out for the common people. A lot if not most of their issues, as I remember them, have been due to outside influences, invasions, dictators, etc.

I don't see a fast, easy or even likely path out of this mess for them in my lifetime. Could be generations away without real assistance from a major country as protector, financial backer, investor and friend. The Chinese want it, I suspect, and would be happy to pay for it through upfront investment but Haiti will lose out long term. It might be better for them in the short and even medium term though.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Deal HD

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I have only been once and it was to Cap Haitian. I went in Caribe Tours and stayed at Cormier Plage.
I have a friend who grew up in Miami, got deported after 2nd DUI and now lives in Cap Haitian
with his uncle who runs a transportation company. The north does have problems but it's not as
bad as the area around the capital.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

OldSkool

Banned
Aug 31, 2021
Barahona
Why not Haiti?
I see now that you're just trying to get me killed LOL

No one without an urgent need, and even then, has any business in Haiti especially around the capitol at this time and for the foreseeable future. I know many from Haiti, and it seems many others here do as well, and none of them have returned since covid, since the last earthquake and hurricane and have no plans to. Many have said they will probably never be able to return. It's sad.

I would have loved, and almost did, go to Haiti but it was always questionable for safety and in the end I passed. I doubt that I will ever get to explore it like it deserves.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would agree that the probability of it happening is under 50%. It's not impossible.
less than 1% , but yes, that is under 50%. Let's see what happens over the next 100 years. 😇
People will still think there will be a chance where there isn't.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
OK, Windy. $100 bet on 10/28/2121. Start saving!

I think it will take less then 50 years. At this point, their only hope is a benevolent dictator. Somebody will eventually come along and step up.

The problem is that a dictator needs a standing army to back him up. That doesn't really exist right now in Haiti.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I think it will take less then 50 years. At this point, their only hope is a benevolent dictator. Somebody will eventually come along and step up.

The problem is that a dictator needs a standing army to back him up. That doesn't really exist right now in Haiti.
I don't think there have been many benevolent dictators in world history. Even if they start off with good intentions, they soon go off the path of good.