Gangs and Politics in Haiti

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I have been told that same thing by various white Haitian acquaintances in the past. Pretty like the DR was 50 years ago when a few families controlled the country.

50 years ago? Don't you mean right now? I think I read somewhere that the top 50 Dominican families owned something like 95% of the assets.

Reactions: Auryn

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Not true. Read some world history.

Haiti doesn't have a great track record of managing a country.
perhaps you could give some examples. Haiti has been a disaster for most of its history. Some of the USA's policies and actions have made Haiti even worse. Embargo on cooking gas, killing of Haitian pigs and importation of American rice.....etc. The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not true. Read some world history.

Haiti doesn't have a great track record of managing a country.
The record shows that of the 51 times the United States and Great Britain attempted nation-building by force over the past 150 years, they left behind an enduring democracy in only 14 cases, or 27 percent of the time. https://www.independent.org/news/article.asp?id=2083

A .270 batting average on nation building.

But this is about Haiti. There is no chance of building a nation there.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
How much did Haiti pay the french that enslaved them 22.5 billion for its freedom? What should be the justice for this type of injustice since you seem to be pro mistreatment of nations of people that where forced to build nations and wealth for you guessed it light skinned people 😉. So let's here what should the justice be for all the people around the world that built nations and wealth for other people while being stripped of their true heritage, wealth, power, respect, dignity, and strength. Sometimes you people shouldn't comment because honestly if all these people around that world stood up and did to the nations, what was done to them, then you would be in chains and not able to type!!!
Absolutely hilarious. How long do you want to keep beating a dead horse. I guess the sins of my great great great grand parents are still festering in your mind and world. I see no point in trying to explain to you how he world used to work and the outcome of past wars fought, and how the spoils went to the victors, as from what you wrote you will always be a victim.

You need to quit blaming white people for Haiti's problems. Whatever happened 50 years ago or 500 years ago is done. It's time to move on. I hope the Haitian people will one day take control of their situation and eradicate the gangs that are running out of control. They are a cancer and need to be wiped of the face of the earth. But until then keep going around and using terms like "you people" because most of us people are used to being blamed for your problems.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
A .270 batting average on nation building.

But this is about Haiti. There is no chance of building a nation there.
That math is skewed because the author is biased. The US doesn't invade by force for the sole purpose of nation building. Example, Iraq rolled into Kuwait first then they got the beat down.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That math is skewed because the author is biased. The US doesn't invade by force for the sole purpose of nation building. Example, Iraq rolled into Kuwait first then they got the beat down.
So the US actually does much worse at nation building? I hope my home country stays out of Haiti. It could bankrupt the nation.

Reactions: Big

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
The Chinese are way too smart to put money in that sink hole. It holds nothing for them.
I agree. The Chinese are deep thinkers. I would be very surprised at the Chinese wanting to put millions of dollars into Haitian infrastructure. First, the Chinese would have to liquidate the gang leaders and gangs. A power takeover would fuel speculation that the Chinese want to bring communism into the island. The U.S. would jump stiff-legged. Highly unlikely that Chinese want to be bothered with dismantling gangs, which is a polite way of saying that thousands would have to be killed. A dirty business that the Chinese will avoid. That is not to say that Haitian gang leaders and gangs do not need to be eliminated.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Absolutely hilarious. How long do you want to keep beating a dead horse. I guess the sins of my great great great grand parents are still festering in your mind and world. I see no point in trying to explain to you how he world used to work and the outcome of past wars fought, and how the spoils went to the victors, as from what you wrote you will always be a victim.

You need to quit blaming white people for Haiti's problems. Whatever happened 50 years ago or 500 years ago is done. It's time to move on. I hope the Haitian people will one day take control of their situation and eradicate the gangs that are running out of control. They are a cancer and need to be wiped of the face of the earth. But until then keep going around and using terms like "you people" because most of us people are used to being blamed for your problems.
Yes, square one, Melphis. 200 years ago is 200 years ago. This is now. Nothing changes in Haiti until the criminal gang leaders and their gangs are eliminated either through execution or imprisonment. Nothing else matters when one can't open the door of his house without fear of being beaten, robbed, stabbed, or killed. Absolutely nothing works. Dominican President Abinader is right. The D.R. can't handle Haiti all alone. The D.R. needs international support. I'm concerned this Barbeque G9 gang leader or 400 Mawozo leader will be embolded to muster a gang force of two or three thousand gang members and attempt to cross and raid a border town of Dajabon, Jimani, or Pedernales. Suicidal perhaps, but not too far fetched with Barbeque thinking he is already the new boss of Haiti.

Reactions: melphis and Big

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Abinader has begun a series of bi partisan meetings to see if they can reach a consensus on what the DR should do to counter the threat from Haiti.

Good that they are talking --and good that some recognize the very real threat to the DR. Still not reading anything about how trade from the DR to Haiti has been impacted? Any news on that? There is always plenty of narco-money in the DR but perhaps the actual USE of cocaine has gone down? It was getting bad before I left in '16. The real money was in The Laundry. But when there are a lot of poor people, there will always be an easy target for corruption.

I think that the DR can probably hold the border against an influx of Haitian refugees but I am not so sure that they will be able to hold onto order if the gangs really turn into narcos. So far, there have not been reports of narcotrafficers -- BUT -- as one of my Haitian friends put it.. there has always been a big profit to be had in kidnapping and drugs.

Please keep us posted

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
One of the things that are currently commented by some people is that a few days ago a part of politicians from the Haitian government went to a plaza with a statue of Dessalines (considered the founding father of Haiti) or to his tomb (if it still exist) with flower arrangements. The purpose was commemorating one more anniversary of his birth.

Well, BBQ wanted to do the same. He and his gang arrived at the place and through multiple firing of bullets interrupted the ceremony, the Haitian politicians quickly scattered and left for their safety. In the end, BBQ et al was the one that commemorated Dessalines' birth.

If that truly happened (have yet to verify,) is this a sign that the ones truly in charge of Haiti are the Haitian gangs and not the Haitian government?

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
One of the things that are currently commented by some people is that a few days ago a part of politicians from the Haitian government went to a plaza with a statue of Dessalines (considered the founding father of Haiti) or to his tomb (if it still exist) with flower arrangements. The purpose was commemorating one more anniversary of his birth.

Well, BBQ wanted to do the same. He and his gang arrived at the place and through multiple firing of bullets interrupted the ceremony, the Haitian politicians quickly scattered and left for their safety. In the end, BBQ et al was the one that commemorated Dessalines' birth.

If that truly happened (have yet to verify,) is this a sign that the ones truly in charge of Haiti are the Haitian gangs and not the Haitian government?
Yes... that happened...https://insightcrime.org/news/haiti-legacy-murdered-president-defended-violent-gang-boss/ also reported in Jamaica Gleaner... Twitter, /// etc///// Indeed the Gangs are in charge...