Gaspar Hernandez, Sosua, Trip.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
It certainly isn't my cup of tea. It might be the last town on the North Coast I would choose to live, but even worse in Nagua.

Nagua should be inserted in the song Jimmy Buffett once sung about Dallas on his A1A album, "If you ever get the chance to go to Dallas, take it from me, pass it by"

Second that. I once stopped there to buy a coke when we were driving back from Cabarete and I can confirm it's a dump.

How, by helicop

How, by helicopter? More like two hours. That road going down to Tenares is not in very good shape and about the best I can make Santiago from the east side of Cabarete going over Hwy 21 is 1 hour and 45 minutes.

Agreed. I thought Bob knew a different faster route but if you have to go back towards Cabarete and over the mountains to Santiago then we're definitely looking at two hours. Each way. When you're not feeling well and need to see a doctor. Or want to buy pesto or anything else that they don't sell in your only supermarket.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
How, by helicop

How, by helicopter? More like two hours. That road going down to Tenares is not in very good shape and about the best I can make Santiago from the east side of Cabarete going over Hwy 21 is 1 hour and 45 minutes.
I wasn't thinking about the road to Tenares, I was thinking highway 21 or hwy 5.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Until you do...my closest,best friend died of a heart attack in Sosua two weeks ago,57 years old,he was as healthy as anyone I know at his age (on the outside),exercised everyday etc.,etc.. We're all healthy until we're not.
Very true, I’m sorry to hear about your friend.
I have a couple decades until I’m 57 but you never know.

Reactions: Tom0910

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I wasn't thinking about the road to Tenares, I was thinking highway 21 or hwy 5.
I'm only 5 minutes from Hwy 21 in Sabaneta, so a good 10-15 minutes closer to that point than someone in GH. When I say "Santiago", I'm referring to the monument. Add or subtract what you want depending on where in Santiago you're going. It's a big city and the traffic has gotten much worse. I'm thinking it might even take me 2 hours now(?).

Hwy 5 to Hwy 25, or all the way through Puerto Plata? Those will probably take you 2 and a half hours or more those routes(?).

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
we must have visited a different G.P cloths shops? I know they have several shops where you can buy those loudspeakers.
We must have. There are at least ten clothes shops on the main street. They may not display the designer evening wear that you and your friends favour when dining out, but clothes shop a-plenty there are.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yes, there are plenty of clothing and other types of stores along that stretch. Good luck finding a parking spot though. If you live there, don't waste your time driving. Just take a moto into town or walk.

Reactions: bob saunders

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I'm only 5 minutes from Hwy 21 in Sabaneta, so a good 10-15 minutes closer to that point than someone in GH. When I say "Santiago", I'm referring to the monument. Add or subtract what you want depending on where in Santiago you're going. It's a big city and the traffic has gotten much worse. I'm thinking it might even take me 2 hours now(?).

Hwy 5 to Hwy 25, or all the way through Puerto Plata? Those will probably take you 2 and a half hours or more those routes(?).
Timing is everything with traffic in Santiago, but yes, it is much more congested that it was even two years ago. The point I am trying to make is a town of around 50,000 people with two highway connections and two major cities within 50-60 miles is hardly isolated.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Timing is everything with traffic in Santiago, but yes, it is much more congested that it was even two years ago. The point I am trying to make is a town of around 50,000 people with two highway connections and two major cities within 50-60 miles is hardly isolated.
No, it's not small or isolated. About 1/2 hr to RSJ and 15 minutes to a good supermarket(Marinero) in Sabaneta/Veragua.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
We must have. There are at least ten clothes shops on the main street. They may not display the designer evening wear that you and your friends favour when dining out, but clothes shop a-plenty there are.
Yes I do not wear second hand spandex cloths made in China. I do like the town on the north side of the highway up in the hills. There was a poster here that would share G.H experiences. I don't think they lasted long. You may be able to withstand the lack of infrastructure in that town, I cannot

Reactions: MariaRubia

Big

Apr 24, 2019
I would often go to the cockfights in Sabaneta and in the mountains on the way to Santiago. Not anymore, traffic now makes it a half day investment.

Reactions: MariaRubia