Generalization of dominicans

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Randy1;

I think what you are seeing in the Taxi driver is that these people don't READ!
The ones I'm speaking about are the ons whom you meet on the street, in the Colmados, Etc. The "others" are educated and know what the world is all about. The Taxi driver type don't get beyond the Desportes Section of any paper they pick up so haven't the perspective that is acquired through extensive exposure to the written word in books, magazine articles and the like. in short, these people are expressing uneducated verbage about something they really don't understand or, for that matter, are interested in. Their interest span is extremely narrow and usually confined to what they pick up through others of their ilk.
I agree thatit is a very sad commentary on the Dominican People who, as individuals, are very nice people---as long as you don't touch on subjects, in conversation, that they have an emotional platform about.
It has been my experience that the less formal education a person has, the lower they are on the economic scale, the more likely they are to be bigotted and descriminatory toward others. Such must be a form of defense mechanism which they really aren't aware of.
That being said, I tend to think we all suffer somewhat from such. A great deal depends on what the atmosphere was at home as one was growing into the "age of reason" and what sort of social environment one was exposed to.
There are those of us who changed our overall attitudes through interaction with a higher level of society once we were outof the confinement of what we were raised in. Then, too, there are those who don't change no matter how exposed. They see only what they want to see negatively and totally disregard the positive as an anomoly.
Just my 2-cents worth.

Texas Bill

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Exxtol,
It took 17 days for someone to take your bait concerning your post #51. This is a little advice to not go there with a reply.

Randy1,
Don't go there. The vast majority of the conversation going on in this thread is being done by Dominicans about their country with no negative responses concerning racial matters. Conversations concerning skin color in this country spoken by people of this country is something specific of this country and has no room from outsiders to inject their take of the conversation when it deviates from the OP.

Rick

“As a scientist Throckmorton knew that if he were ever to break wind in the echo chamber, he would never hear the end of it.”

aradomini

Nov 17, 2007
You know whats even funnier? That people still think that skin color is = race... The have been geneological studies in brazil and other countries that have disproved this. You could be a black skin person and have more european genes than a white skin person, visa versa... Perfect example is this lovely morena here...Bellazon.org - Ildimara Silva.... They found out that her genes were 71 % european and only about 19% or so african.. Pretty crazy when you think about it... People are just judging others by phenotype and nothing else when in reality you are judging the same vehicle with a different paint job... The genes responsible for color are quite insignificant....LOL.... So remember race not = color! Lets stop being judgemental and lets start being realistic; We are ALL just humans! End of story!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Quite an old thread, but very good.

Since the title is "Generalization of Dominicans", can we discuss the prevailing notion among some people that all Dominicans are uneducated?

Of course, many Dominicans, perhaps most, are not the brightest most wordly people; but my my, the faces people make the moment they begin to talk with a Dominican that can actually hold a conversation!

Some of the worst generalizations are not even created by foreigners, but by Dominicans.

Take for example, the assumption that many Dominicans have that a "real" Dominican needs to speak very bad Spanish dropping letters from every other word, etc.

Its ridiculous.

And people actually ask themselves why educated Dominicans prefer to not mix with the uneducated bunch.

It appears that we live in an age where mediocrity is celebrated and excellence or aiming towards excellence is discouraged.

Unbelievable.

-NALs

Last edited:

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Te entiendo.......

Quite an old thread, but very good.

Since the title is "Generalization of Dominicans", can we discuss the prevailing notion among some people that all Dominicans are uneducated?

Of course, many Dominicans, perhaps most, are not the brightest most wordly people; but my my, the faces people make the moment they begin to talk with a Dominican that can actually hold a conversation!

Some of the worst generalizations are not even created by foreigners, but by Dominicans.

Take for example, the assumption that many Dominicans have that a "real" Dominican needs to speak very bad Spanish dropping letters from every other word, etc.

Its ridiculous.

And people actually ask themselves why educated Dominicans prefer to not mix with the uneducated bunch.

It appears that we live in an age where mediocrity is celebrated and excellence or aiming towards excellence is discouraged.

Unbelievable.

-NALs
Camarada, I know exactly what you are talking about....BUUUUT

I think that MOST of the generalization are done by foreigners....MOST FOREIGNERS, especially those who speak our same language.

If I had a penny every time a Hispanic person (especially Puerto Ricans) have said to me "What, but you don't sound Dominican" or "Yeah right, you don't look Dominican", Bill Gates would have NOTHINING on me. LOL.

See, some of these people only befriend the uneducated and "different color" Dominicans and when they see someone who is educated and is of a different color, they behave like "chickens with their heads cut-off".

I dated a girl from Pakistan, about "100" years ago, and to this day, her father do NOT believe that I am Dominican..... To this day, when I call to say hi to the family, when he answers the phone, he says "Hola my son, the Dominican wanna-be".

MOST of these people think that ALLLLL Dominicans are the same.

Little do they know that there are a bunch of Dominicans who came to this country and sacrificed themselves, workings like dogs, so their kids had a chance at a better life and education....

Let me tell you something, Nals......It never gets boring educating some of those fools!!. I actually LOOOOOOOOVE it!.

Btw: Yes, old thread.....But I don't care.....It's interesting and SOME of these people (and newbies) should be made aware that NOT all Dominicans are the same!.

Last edited:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
many foreigners come here to live and work be carefull is my advise to you do not buy the nice smiles you see on the faces of these people
In their soles many of them hate you and wish you the worst
If you work many will try to get you out I talked to one dominican taxist when i told that i have been working in the DR more than 4 years and on the same place he was surprised he said that dominicans do not like it. they do not want foreigners be working here. It is not a problem if you are from Cuba, venezuela . It is a problem when you are white from the USA, Russia, England etc. Sometimes I think what would happen to this country if there were no one foreigner working here, or dominiacns who recieved an education abroad? I think that this would be an a... whole
Sad thruth

Do you think this "negative defence" against foreigners might be true because there are still unfortunately quite a few racists living in Europe, Russia, and US. I just got back from Eastern Europe and heard what some people say about Latin, Arabic and in general those with different skin color. It is disgusting. And the ones who say these things can be actually very well educated which is a shame :ermm:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

I think that MOST of the generalization are done by foreigners....MOST FOREIGNERS, especially those who speak our same language.

If I had a penny every time a Hispanic person (especially Puerto Ricans) have said to me "What, but you don't sound Dominican" or "Yeah right, you don't look Dominican", Bill Gates would have NOTHINING on me. LOL.

See, some of these people only befriend the uneducated and "different color" Dominicans and when they see someone who is educated and is of a different color, they behave like "chickens with their heads cut-off".

I dated a girl from Pakistan, about "100" years ago, and to this day, her father do NOT believe that I am Dominican..... To this day, when I call to say hi to the family, when he answers the phone, he says "Hola my son, the Dominican wanna-be".

MOST of these people think that ALLLLL Dominicans are the same.

Little do they know that there are a bunch of Dominicans who came to this country and sacrificed themselves, workings like dogs, so their kids had a chance at a better life and education....

Let me tell you something, Nals......It never gets boring educating some of those fools!!. I actually LOOOOOOOOVE it!.

Btw: Yes, old thread.....But I don't care.....It's interesting and SOME of these people (and newbies) should be made aware that NOT all Dominicans are the same!.
Agree, but it bothers me more when Dominicans do those things.

Foreigners are easy to ignore when they do those things, why? Because they are foreigners, ignorance on most things Dominican is expected from them. Its nothing negative or malicious or even a defense mechanism, but its common sense to expect a foreigner to be ignorant of many things Dominican. That is the reason why people always are impressed when a foreigner knows the country and its people well, it certainly surpasses the very low expectations.

This, of course, only works the first time. If a foreigner insist on those ignorant generalization, well they are no different from SOME Dominicans doing the same.

But with Dominicans its a different story. There are simply no excuses or justifications for the generalizations that SOME Dominicans hold against other Dominicans and perhaps that's why its more bothersome to hear stupid and unrealistic generalizations from people that, of all the people, should know the country well.

-NALs

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Even though I have mostly Floridian perspective with regards to prejudice against Dominicans, it is apparent that it is still alive and well, propagated by other hispanics who used to live in NY. I myself have never been to NY but I have a good idea as to why Doms. have such a bad name mainly because of the way many of the youths speak and can correlate this from conversation in florida with said types.

As far as the Doms. I have met in Orlando, by far the majority have been as decent and a hard working as they come, professionals included.

As far as Doms. purported poor ability to speak - I think it does no service to anyone to talk about cutting words and dropping the "s" without explaining which group one is talking about - ie. there is a world of difference between the Doms. in NY and the DR eveb though they may have these couple of characteristics in common. Furthermore, I challenge anyone who says educated Dominicans use the "s" all the time or don't cut words to play golf with me at Las Aromas and listen to how doctors, lawyers,engineers really talk among themselves.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Ahi esta'.....

Furthermore, I challenge anyone who says educated Dominicans use the "s" all the time or don't cut words to play golf with me at Las Aromas and listen to how doctors, lawyers,engineers really talk among themselves.
See, that's a generalization right there!......Perhaps the "educated" Dominicans YOU know.

Chiporelly, if ever in San Pedro De Macoris, let me know and I will give you my half brother's address and then let EVERYBODY here know if he doesn't use the "s" when he is supposed to and if he "cuts words".

They don't call him "El Fino" for nothing. Wahahaha!.

I, on the other hand.....FORGETABOUTIT!!. LOL.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
La pura verdad......

Agree, but it bothers me more when Dominicans do those things.

Foreigners are easy to ignore when they do those things, why? Because they are foreigners, ignorance on most things Dominican is expected from them. Its nothing negative or malicious or even a defense mechanism, but its common sense to expect a foreigner to be ignorant of many things Dominican. That is the reason why people always are impressed when a foreigner knows the country and its people well, it certainly surpasses the very low expectations.

This, of course, only works the first time. If a foreigner insist on those ignorant generalization, well they are no different from SOME Dominicans doing the same.

But with Dominicans its a different story. There are simply no excuses or justifications for the generalizations that SOME Dominicans hold against other Dominicans and perhaps that's why its more bothersome to hear stupid and unrealistic generalizations from people that, of all the people, should know the country well.

-NALs
I agree with you 1,000%.

One thing I have noticed......MOST of the Dominicans who generalize about other Dominicans are the ones who are the least educated.

At times, I can't help but shake my head when one of them open their mouths.......Dios mio, the shyt that comes out of their mouths.....One feels like saying....."Tragame tierra, POS FAVOR, o haz desaparecer a este BABOSO/A!!.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
not again ! dialect is not improper

This has been covered in the Spanish 101 section. People shortening words is not " talking incorrectly". That is a subjective view. That is the Dominican dialect. Dominicans in general got to stop thinking that this is " incorrect" , and view this as a dialect, and there is nothing wrong with that.

If you say " El caballo ta amarrao en la casa'e miguel". That doesn't mean that you are automatically some uneducated campesino. People with lots of education CHOOSE to speak Spanish like that. They feel more comfortable, or just SHOW PRIDE in it.

A perfect example, is Fredy Veras Goyco .The man talks dialect all the time. Just youtube him. The shortening of words is a CARIBBEAN HERITAGE. It is an Andalusian/Canarian/African heritage. Other Latin Americans might perceive it as " wrong", but they don't know **** about our heritage. It is not WRONG, it is just a PREFERENCE, A CHOICE OF LANGUAGE.

Think about it, some bishop in the Vatican that speaks classical Latin, would say that Italian is " incorrect, uneducated, etc". oh, please ! :tired:

This is Freddy, a fellow Cuban-Dominican like Nals- YouTube - Freddy se riega otra vez...

Last edited:

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007

If I had a penny every time a Hispanic person (especially Puerto Ricans) have said to me "What, but you don't sound Dominican" or "Yeah right, you don't look Dominican", Bill Gates would have NOTHINING on me. LOL. .
And I know what you are talking about. I was told once by someone from South America: "If you are Dominican, how come you don't talk the way they do?" He told that I was speaking too "fino".

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
See, that's a generalization right there!......Perhaps the "educated" Dominicans YOU know.

Chiporelly, if ever in San Pedro De Macoris, let me know and I will give you my half brother's address and then let EVERYBODY here know if he doesn't use the "s" when he is supposed to and if he "cuts words".

They don't call him "El Fino" for nothing. Wahahaha!.

I, on the other hand.....FORGETABOUTIT!!. LOL.

Primo, primo, primo - this is not a generalization because I am basing this on experience of playing golf there once a week for more than a year. Sure, a few use the s but none would be confused as being anything but Dominican, and from Cibao no doubt. :)

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Perdon......

Primo, primo, primo - this is not a generalization because I am basing this on experience of playing golf there once a week for more than a year. Sure, a few use the s but none would be confused as being anything but Dominican, and from Cibao no doubt. :)
Chiporelly, sorry.....I misunderstood the statement I quoted.

Yes, there are MANY educated Dominicans who forget about the "s" and cut words. BUTTT:

There are SOME that all they do is cut the "s", misplace the "L" or the "R", and cut ALLLLL imaginable words that comes out of their mouths.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Te entiendo.

And I know what you are talking about. I was told once by someone from South America: "If you are Dominican, how come you don't talk the way they do?" He told that I was speaking too "fino".
If I had a penny for every time someone said that to me......Oh boy, Donald Trump would be my butler!.

IN MY OPINION, MOST Spanish speaking people think that Dominicans are dark and can't speak well.

A long time ago, I had a summer job and about 30 times a day, I was called to translate for Spanish speaking people (btw, I HATED it because I believe a person, any person, living in the US should learn to speak the language) and a day didn't go by that at least 15-20 of those people didn't mention I didn't looked or sounded Dominican.

Shyt, I even got that from SOME Dominicans!!.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This has been covered in the Spanish 101 section. People shortening words is not " talking incorrectly". That is a subjective view. That is the Dominican dialect. Dominicans in general got to stop thinking that this is " incorrect" , and view this as a dialect, and there is nothing wrong with that.

If you say " El caballo ta amarrao en la casa'e miguel". That doesn't mean that you are automatically some uneducated campesino. People with lots of education CHOOSE to speak Spanish like that. They feel more comfortable, or just SHOW PRIDE in it.

A perfect example, is Fredy Veras Goyco .The man talks dialect all the time. Just youtube him. The shortening of words is a CARIBBEAN HERITAGE. It is an Andalusian/Canarian/African heritage. Other Latin Americans might perceive it as " wrong", but they don't know **** about our heritage. It is not WRONG, it is just a PREFERENCE, A CHOICE OF LANGUAGE.

Think about it, some bishop in the Vatican that speaks classical Latin, would say that Italian is " incorrect, uneducated, etc". oh, please ! :tired:

This is Freddy, a fellow Cuban-Dominican like Nals- YouTube - Freddy se riega otra vez...
I was not discussing whether shortening words is right or wrong, but rather the insistence by SOME people to question the identity of a Dominican when such person speaks a more correct form of Spanish and not the generalized "Dominican" dialect.

BTW, drop the cuban hyphen. I'm Dominican, period. Yes, I do have Cuban ancestors, but the key word here is ancestors, thus I'm not Cuban, I'm not Cuban-Dominican, or anything else Cuban. I'm Dominican, period. I have nothing against Cuba or its people, but I am what I am and one thing I'm not is a Cuban-Dominican. That would be more appropriate for members of the first generation.

-NALs

DOMINICANUSA

Nov 19, 2007
There is no feeling to become a separate nation, but there is tremendous pride in being from El Cibao.

In fact, some historians refer to the Cibao as "the Republic of el Cibao" precisely due to the above than average pride people from that region have, compared to Sure?os or those from the east.

Sure?os (those from Azua to the border) have historically had a tendency to be geared more towards Port-au-Prince than to Santo Domingo. Santo Domingo was a backwater until Trujillo came to power and the east is mostly a 20th century phenomenon.

The only place left with a lenghty history of influencing Dominican culture and affairs has been the Cibao with Santiago being the largest town for most of the country's history and Puerto Plata being one of the wealthiest along with Moca, San Francisco, and La Vega.

Cibao culture dominates what is considered mainstream Dominican culture. Despite this, the two regions where people are prideful of being from is the Cibao and la Capital. It's no secret there is a rivalry between the two in just about everything.

It's also no secret that these two regions hold together everything that is to be Dominican and the Dominican Republic itself. Without the Cibao and the Capital, the Dominican Republic is nothing.

Don't worry, just how Scotland and Wales, and Northern Ireland are still stuck with England, so too will the Cibao. ;)

But, as a Scottish friend told me once when I refer to Scotland as part of England "Scotland is Scotland and the England is England. Don't confuse the two."

-NALs

NALs,
I was born in San Juan De La Maguana and have lived in the USA since I was 2 years old. I was sent back for one year (to get my Spanish back up) during the 8th grade and lived in Santo Domingo w/relatives. So I am probably an Americanized Dominican but very much in touch with my roots.
I usually agree with most of what you say, but I did not see any pro-Haitian views from my family in San Juan, I pretty much saw the opposite. From the Dominican history that I know, didn't Bani & Azua fight against Haiti? I am 100% pro-DR.
I know that Cibao has a reputation for having the highest percentage of "light skinned" or Euro descendants and the East the opposite, what does the South have? I saw alot of white people in Bani, my familty looks either light skinned or "indio" looking (tan skin w/straight black hair) and I myself am "indo" going towards the Alex Rodriguez look. I am an amateur history/sociology/anthropology enthusiast. I also have relatives that look straight up mestizo or indio. By the way, those stereotypes of Dominicans (all look like Sammy Sosa)in NYC are slowly disolving, no one is "shocked" to see a white Dominican (there's always going to be one)
Anyway, sorry for a long first post, but I kinda took it personal with the Sureno thing, to me its akin like "vende patria"

DOMINICANUSA

Nov 19, 2007
Here in the USA I have noticed that the farther away you get from Dominicans "home base" (NY/NJ/MA) the more ignorant people are about what a Dominican is or looks like. I don't know why they like to bring up Sammy Sosa or David Ortiz as typical Dominicans, I've yet to see them mention Alex Rodriguez or Pujols. People temporarilty go blind/deaf when they see Charytin Goico, Amelia Vega, Oscar De la Renta, Juan Luis Guerra. And then you have to deal with some Afro-Centrics that feel that if you correct or balance out that view you are "denying your blackness" lol

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
NALs,
I was born in San Juan De La Maguana and have lived in the USA since I was 2 years old. I was sent back for one year (to get my Spanish back up) during the 8th grade and lived in Santo Domingo w/relatives. So I am probably an Americanized Dominican but very much in touch with my roots.
I usually agree with most of what you say, but I did not see any pro-Haitian views from my family in San Juan, I pretty much saw the opposite. From the Dominican history that I know, didn't Bani & Azua fight against Haiti? I am 100% pro-DR.
I know that Cibao has a reputation for having the highest percentage of "light skinned" or Euro descendants and the East the opposite, what does the South have? I saw alot of white people in Bani, my familty looks either light skinned or "indio" looking (tan skin w/straight black hair) and I myself am "indo" going towards the Alex Rodriguez look. I am an amateur history/sociology/anthropology enthusiast. I also have relatives that look straight up mestizo or indio. By the way, those stereotypes of Dominicans (all look like Sammy Sosa)in NYC are slowly disolving, no one is "shocked" to see a white Dominican (there's always going to be one)
Anyway, sorry for a long first post, but I kinda took it personal with the Sureno thing, to me its akin like "vende patria"
In that post I was not referring to "modern" sure?os, but those of the 1800s and early 1900s, thus the word "historically" becomes key to understanding what I was trying to say.

There was a time when the south was oriented more towards Haiti than towards Santo Domingo. In fact, the Haitian Gourde was accepted as legal tender in many areas of the South for many years and much of its economic development, which was very limited, was to benefit the Haitian economy. There was even a joke in the rest of the Republic that the capital of Azua (which in those times the entire southern region was one giant province of Azua) was Port-au-Prince.

That is a fact of the South that has been written and published in many history books and many essays of the time period as well.

-NALs

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Crees que entienden?...

In that post I was not referring to "modern" sure?os, but those of the 1800s and early 1900s, thus the word "historically" becomes key to understanding what I was trying to say.

There was a time when the south was oriented more towards Haiti than towards Santo Domingo. In fact, the Haitian Gourde was accepted as legal tender in many areas of the South for many years and much of its economic development, which was very limited, was to benefit the Haitian economy. There was even a joke in the rest of the Republic that the capital of Azua (which in those times the entire southern region was one giant province of Azua) was Port-au-Prince.

That is a fact of the South that has been written and published in many history books and many essays of the time period as well.

-NALs
NALs, the of the matter is that, and I am VERY ashamed to say, is that A LOOOOOOT of Dominicans don't know much about Dominican history. (Btw, I am not talking about the poster you replied to).

I know of Dominican born parents, living abroad, who teach NOTHING to their kids about the DR.... Perhaps because they, themselves, know NOTHING.

Then you see them taking their kids to the DR all the time and their kids saying "oooh, my parents are Dominicans so I am Dominican, I love the Dominican Republic", but when you ask them the simplest of questions about the DR, they can NOT answer you.

Give it a try....Ask a young "I love the DR" kid a simple question, for example, "who is the current Dominican Vice-President", and I can assure you he/she will look like "Bambie" when she was about to be run over by a truck!.