Generalization of dominicans

D-Money

Apr 13, 2006
Does anyone think there is a generalization of dominicans when it comes to color?I say this cause i am a light-skinned dominican and when people come to me, they say are u rican?I tell them no, i am dominican and they look at it in a funny way.I say this cause people think dominicans are only black, mulatto, etc.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
D-Money said:
Does anyone think there is a generalization of dominicans when it comes to color?I say this cause i am a light-skinned dominican and when people come to me, they say are u rican?I tell them no, i am dominican and they look at it in a funny way.I say this cause people think dominicans are only black, mulatto, etc.

They obviously don't get around much do they? ;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
D-Money said:
This has been discussed here plenty of time, please do a search.

However, there are some people who like to think of other people by a single type. This is a big mistake.

1. There is no such thing as a "typical" person for any country, since most countries have people that vary in skin color and/or race or ethnic groups. What matters is how people think and analyse their sorroundings, NOT their appearance or race.

2. Yes, some people when they think of Dominicans picture a Sammy Sosa type or an Alex Rodriguez, although the latter is less often the case. Many can't phathom that there are other types of Dominicans ranging from whites to Asian to Arabs to so on and so forth.

My suggestion to you is to not let it bother you.

When people ask you where are you from, say DR. If they look at you weird or they question your answer, simply say that Dominicans are multicultural/ethnic/racial people just like the USA or Canada.

If they still look puzzled, pin point how the USA and Canada are seen as multicultural/ethnic/racial nations despite have an overwhelmigly white majority, in the same manner the DR is mutlicultural/ethnic/racial despite having a predominant mulatto majority.

If they still look puzzled, let it go. They are ignorants.

-NALs

kfrancis

Jan 8, 2002
rockharddesigns.com
I have found the Greatest Compliment given to me in Business in the RD is when being introduced by existing Dominican associates to a NEW potential Dominican Business associate the words " esta' Dominicano blanco " find there way into the conversation.

Much better than my local friends " esta' uno Americano loco " when they see me behind the wheel of a car. Have some bad legs so I usually have a driver.

When it comes to Dominicans themselves, they distinguish the birth of a child in simple BLACK AND WHITE terms. The new born is referred to as esta' blanco ( light skinned ) or esta' negro ( dark skinned ) by the family when speaking of the new arrival.

kFrancisco de Cabral

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
kfrancis said:
I have found the Greatest Compliment given to me in Business in the RD is when being introduced by existing Dominican associates to a NEW potential Dominican Business associate the words " esta' Dominicano blanco " find there way into the conversation.

Much better than my local friends " esta' uno Americano loco " when they see me behind the wheel of a car. Have some bad legs so I usually have a driver.

When it comes to Dominicans themselves, they distinguish the birth of a child in simple BLACK AND WHITE terms. The new born is referred to as esta' blanco ( light skinned ) or esta' negro ( dark skinned ) by the family when speaking of the new arrival.

kFrancisco de Cabral
It's more regarding the actual color of the person, rather than race.

In the end, we are all Dominicans and that's that.

-NaLs

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
D-Money said:

Welcome to the club D-Money, is something that us all light skin Quisqueyans have to deal with outside of Quisqueya. Just tell them that there are also green people with 5 eyes in Quisqueya too :cheeky:

Jan 3, 2003
Even amongst dominicans they don't accept that there are dominicans who are white. Case in point. My friend was injured in an accident. He was taken to that hell hole, Dario Contrera death camp, aka a hospital. Well he was told white people are not given treatment there. He told them he was dominican. They laughed and was refused help. He cursed the DR never to return. His words were " Maldigo el dia en que naci en ese maldito pai, cono!!"

In the East, most white dominicans are treated as foreigners like italians, Anglos, N. Europeans, etc. What was the name of that white dominican lady Rob who was treated as a Ryssian at AILA? You know who I am talking about. I used to make fun of her name. Anna Nots a..... can't remember.

White dominicans should be given land, tax free deals and a pension by the DR gov't as an endangered species soon to become extinct aka tainos, the dodo bird.

lol

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
D-Money said:

I can't believe that in this day and age people still do that (although I know that they do). What's it to them and why do they care?

When some ask my kids what is your background, they play dumb and say human.

Living in Canada and being African-American, people always ask where are you from. When you reply I'm American, they say yeah but originaly from where. The answer is still America. You see they think that all black people no matter what your skin color have to be from a certain place. So by sticking to my guns about my nationality , they become so frustrated with me, they finally just give up.

It wasn't easy in the beginning, but after a lot of practice, I got pretty good at dodging the question about my race, It gets pretty tired after a while.

So stick to your guns and if people want to think you are rican or look at you wierd because you say you are Dominican let them. They have the problem not you.

Angel_04

Sep 20, 2004
interesting comments... I hear ya op... people can be totally ignorant sometimes...you just gotta have a little laugh and let it go... educating everyone that you meet isn't gonna happen...

I have a similar story--many Dominicans can NOT believe that I am Canadian (because I am not "white"). They argue and insist that I must be a Dominican from Santo Dom (haha) or Puerto rican...?? To further the stupidity, my "white"/light-skinned Dominican husband gets asked EVERYDAY by his own ppl if HE is the American tourist.. haha... he thinks it's quite amusing.... :bunny:

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Angel_04 said:
... I have a similar story--many Dominicans can NOT believe that I am Canadian (because I am not "white")....:

Did you know that the Haitian diaspora living in Canada now totals over 250.000 and growing? Nowadays, trying to define a person's nationality by the color of his/her skin has become an anachronism..

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Onions/Carrots said:
Even amongst dominicans they don't accept that there are dominicans who are white. Case in point. My friend was injured in an accident. He was taken to that hell hole, Dario Contrera death camp, aka a hospital. Well he was told white people are not given treatment there. He told them he was dominican. They laughed and was refused help. He cursed the DR never to return. His words were " Maldigo el dia en que naci en ese maldito pai, cono!!"

In the East, most white dominicans are treated as foreigners like italians, Anglos, N. Europeans, etc. What was the name of that white dominican lady Rob who was treated as a Ryssian at AILA? You know who I am talking about. I used to make fun of her name. Anna Nots a..... can't remember.

White dominicans should be given land, tax free deals and a pension by the DR gov't as an endangered species soon to become extinct aka tainos, the dodo bird.

lol
It depends on what social circles you find yourself and in what part of the country.

But yes, some Dominicans can't phathom that there are white Dominicans. Imagine once they find out there are blondes and blue eyed Dominicans too! :surprised

However, I'm surprised your friend got so upset because some ignorant person questioned his identity. What if he would have become a professional? Do you know how surprised people in general are when they first realize that you are:

1. A white Dominican

followed by:

2. A professional and well spoken

and

3. Live in an upscale suburb......

You mention Oscar de la Renta is Dominican and more than a few will say "are you sure?". Try explaining Sully Bonnelly's connection to the DR....

Your nationality and identity does not changes just because everybody else want's it to change. You are who you are, whether people want to accept it or not!

-NALs

Jan 3, 2003
Exactly , my point

NALs said:
It depends on what social circles you find yourself and in what part of the country.

But yes, some Dominicans can't phathom that there are white Dominicans. Imagine once they find out there are blondes and blue eyed Dominicans too! :surprised

However, I'm surprised your friend got so upset because some ignorant person questioned his identity. What if he would have become a professional? Do you know how surprised people in general are when they first realize that you are:

1. A white Dominican

followed by:

2. A professional and well spoken

and

3. Live in an upscale suburb......

You mention Oscar de la Renta is Dominican and more than a few will say "are you sure?". Try explaining Sully Bonnelly's connection to the DR....

Your nationality and identity does not changes just because everybody else want's it to change. You are who you are, whether people want to accept it or not!

-NALs

The problem is when you are treated like an outsider by your own people. I told my friend to stay in his region but he wouldn't listen. That's why I like the Cibao region. No place like home. There is this myth of Dominican unity. It doesn't exist nationally but it does regionally.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Onions/Carrots said:
The problem is when you are treated like an outsider by your own people. I told my friend to stay in his region but he wouldn't listen. That's why I like the Cibao region. No place like home. There is this myth of Dominican unity. It doesn't exist nationally but it does regionally.
There never has been a Dominican unity.

The Dominican Republic is really three countries being kept together by one large capital city that overextends its powers over the national territory via the autopistas Duarte, Sanchez, and Las Americas/autovia del este.

For most of the history of the country, what has been defined as Dominican has been Cibae?o. Cibae?os, historically, are the most authentic Dominicans of all.

The eastern part of the country was not populated until the early 1900s (the Cibao has been populated since the time of Columbus). The south has been populated for quite sometime in select towns (ie. Azua, Bani, San Juan, etc) but much of it has been and to an extent, remains depopulated especially when compared to the other two regions. In fact, most of the towns in the south are surprisingly poor even by Dominican standards, with not much commercial action as seen in the towns along the eastern coasts or in the Cibao for that matter.

The Dominican Republic is a miniature version of Spain or Italy in the sense that each region (if given the chance) would break apart from the country and become independent regions.

Cibae?os are first Cibae?os and second Dominicans. Nothing more, nothing less.

BTW, from my understanding in Haiti too, there is a divide (though it's more subtle) between those of the north and those of the south.

-NALs

Jan 3, 2003
Thank you, are you the same Nalwhols of DR's past?

NALs said:
There never has been a Dominican unity.

For most of the history of the country, what has been defined as Dominican has been Cibae?o. Cibae?os, historically, are the most authentic Dominicans of all. Cibae?os are first Cibae?os and second Dominicans. Nothing more, nothing less. -NALs

I want to emphasize this part of your post. I wish there were a Republica del Cibao. The only thing we have in common with those capitalenos are the displaced cibaenos living there due to economic difficulties. The East, well we have nothing to do with them. They might as well annex themselves to Zimbabwe or Uganda. Personally, the East is an embarrassment to myself. It always comes out in the news. What a humiliation!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Onions/Carrots said:
I want to emphasize this part of your post. I wish there were a Republica del Cibao. The only thing we have in common with those capitalenos are the displaced cibaenos living there due to economic difficulties. The East, well we have nothing to do with them. They might as well annex themselves to Zimbabwe or Uganda. Personally, the East is an embarrassment to myself. It always comes out in the news. What a humiliation!
Not just that, but MOST of the tourist visit the EAST and then judge the entire country by what they see there!

Heck, not even the Puerto Plata coast resembles the real DR (ie. Cibao valley) although it does a much better job than either Juan Dolio, Bayahibe, and certainly better than plastic Punta Cana.

But, once you see how disgusting the effect of mass tourism has been in some towns in those regions, it's better to leave the Cibao with little to no tourist!

You are not the only one dreaming of a Republica del Cibao. The capital has never liked the Cibao too much anyway. Can you believe that the only reason Santiago has an international airport was because Santiago business leaders cooperated into creating one? Santiago had been asking for an appropriate airport for decades and did Santo Domingo comply? Nope!

Oh, but Puerto Plata got one courtesy of the capital.... the biggest insult to the Cibao! ;)

60% of all Dominicans live in the Cibao and half the economy of the country is in the Cibao as well. The DR can't survive without the Cibao, but the Cibao can survive without the rest of the country.

Think about it, the Cibao has the Puerto Plata port and the old Sanchez port. Two airports (POP and STI). A manufacturing base, an extensive agricultural base, and a growing service sector. It has a clear identity, food, music, etc. Santiago serves as the commercial entrepot for the entire northern part of the country, with every comfort available for those who can afford it. The towns are relatively pleasant and prosperous with lots of businesses and a middle class.

What do we need the rest of the county for? He he he;)

Actually, I like the capital. It's an exciting city, but the rest of the south and east I could care less.

My heart belongs in the Cibao.

-NALs

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
East-enders Unidos

Without resorting to anecdotes and what-have-you, The Kid would like to stress that the eastern portion of the island is alive and kicking.

In La Otra Banda alone, there's probably more money than most towns with twice the population.

NALs, if you remember from history class, Higuey was one of five cacicazgos in the entire island, and not just the portion occupied by today's D.R. So, your facts about the east only being populated since early 1900s is not accurate.

-The Kid
Higueyano by birth, pariguayo by choice

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
something_of_the_night said:
Without resorting to anecdotes and what-have-you, The Kid would like to stress that the eastern portion of the island is alive and kicking.

In La Otra Banda alone, there's probably more money than most towns with twice the population.

NALs, if you remember from history class, Higuey was one of five cacicazgos in the entire island, and not just the portion occupied by today's D.R. So, your facts about the east only being populated since early 1900s is not accurate.

-The Kid
Higueyano by birth, pariguayo by choice
Yes, I know.

But, please let me know in what year did the east became home to more than 50,000 people.

Afterwards, figure out when the Cibao reached a population of over 50,000 and you'll see my point.

In the east, aside from Higuey and El Seybo, nothing existed except isolated rural villages with a population you can count without worry of miscounting someone. San Pedro was crap before the sugar boom of the 1920s and the same can be said of La Romana which was taken into the care of Gulf and Western in the 1970s.

Heck, for many years Santiago had more people than the entire eastern region. That's quite something.

Regarding La Otra Banda, it's very colorful town. Yes, its relatively prosperous compared to the typical town of the east, but it certainly is not more prosperous than say San Fracisco or Moca or Santiago or La Vega.

Heck, even Villa Tapia has more things going than does Otra Banda, and Villa Tapia is a tiny almost lifeless village in the vega real.

-NALs

Last edited:

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Well...

Any town has more going for them than La Otra Banda, but that's why I only emphasized lo cuaito, as you cibae?os would say.

I had no idea that cibae?os felt that they should be a separate nation. But I do know that Dominicans in general are very trendy.

On a lighter note, will you guys demand that cibae?o speech be taught in public schools? How 'bout government and business dealings, should they be conducted in cibae?o?

Can we come up with a "You might be a cibae?o if...." list?

The rest of us non-cibae?os are proud of you guys.

-The Kid
Ei pipo co?o, some of my best friends are cibae?os!!

Last edited:

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Onions/Carrots said:

don't even play like that, we have enough problems to start to talk about divisions in the DR, i think diversity is wonderful. Stop this nonsense, who's bothering you? this diverse DR has been around since the beginnings of times so why stress over it now?
I NEVER HEARD EITHER THAT CIBAENOS WANTED TO HAVE THEIR OWN TERRITORY.