Generalization of dominicans

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
something_of_the_night said:
Any town has more going for them than La Otra Banda, but that's why I only emphasized lo cuaito, as you cibae?os would say.

I had no idea that cibae?os felt that they should be a separate nation. But I do know that Dominicans in general are very trendy.

On a lighter note, will you guys demand that cibae?o speech be taught in public schools? How 'bout government and business dealings, should they be conducted in cibae?o?

Can we come up with a "You might be a cibae?o if...." list?

The rest of us non-cibae?os are proud of you guys.

-The Kid
Ei pipo co?o, some of my best friends are cibae?os!!
There is no feeling to become a separate nation, but there is tremendous pride in being from El Cibao.

In fact, some historians refer to the Cibao as "the Republic of el Cibao" precisely due to the above than average pride people from that region have, compared to Sure?os or those from the east.

Sure?os (those from Azua to the border) have historically had a tendency to be geared more towards Port-au-Prince than to Santo Domingo. Santo Domingo was a backwater until Trujillo came to power and the east is mostly a 20th century phenomenon.

The only place left with a lenghty history of influencing Dominican culture and affairs has been the Cibao with Santiago being the largest town for most of the country's history and Puerto Plata being one of the wealthiest along with Moca, San Francisco, and La Vega.

Cibao culture dominates what is considered mainstream Dominican culture. Despite this, the two regions where people are prideful of being from is the Cibao and la Capital. It's no secret there is a rivalry between the two in just about everything.

It's also no secret that these two regions hold together everything that is to be Dominican and the Dominican Republic itself. Without the Cibao and the Capital, the Dominican Republic is nothing.

Don't worry, just how Scotland and Wales, and Northern Ireland are still stuck with England, so too will the Cibao. ;)

But, as a Scottish friend told me once when I refer to Scotland as part of England "Scotland is Scotland and the England is England. Don't confuse the two."

-NALs

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
NALs said:
There is no feeling to become a separate nation, but there is tremendous pride in being from El Cibao.

In fact, some historians refer to the Cibao as "the Republic of el Cibao" precisely due to the above than average pride people from that region have, compared to Sure?os or those from the east.

Sure?os (those from Azua to the border) have historically had a tendency to be geared more towards Port-au-Prince than to Santo Domingo. Santo Domingo was a backwater until Trujillo came to power and the east is mostly a 20th century phenomenon.

The only place left with a lenghty history of influencing Dominican culture and affairs has been the Cibao with Santiago being the largest town for most of the country's history and Puerto Plata being one of the wealthiest along with Moca, San Francisco, and La Vega.

Cibao culture dominates what is considered mainstream Dominican culture. Despite this, the two regions where people are prideful of being from is the Cibao and la Capital. It's no secret there is a rivalry between the two in just about everything.

Don't worry, just how Scotland and Wales, and Northern Ireland are still stuck with England, so too will the Cibao. ;)

-NALs

Actually, El Cibao has felt no need to seceed, since representatives of that region have ruled the country almost unimpeded since its founding in 1844, considering that most presidents, with a few exceptions (Trujillo being one of them), have been Cibae?os...

-

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
NALs, I have yet to find people that would rather have been born somewhere else.

From el cibao region to the shore of the lake they call Gitchi Gummi, folks are proud of their birthplace.

-The Kid

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Mirador said:
Actually, El Cibao has felt no need to seceed, since representatives of that region have ruled the country almost unimpeded since its founding in 1844, considering that most presidents, with a few exceptions (Trujillo being one of them), have been Cibae?os...

-
Democratic presidents almost always hailed from the Cibao and dictatorial caudillos hailed from the east (Trujillo included).

In fact, during the early years of the republic, the Cibao needed the extremely few people of the east in order to secure the existence of the DR under the threat of Haitian invasions.

The usual drill went like this:

Dominicans elected a Cibae?o as president.

The new president began his term.

Sometime through his term, Haitian troops march into the republic with an attempt to take over the country.

The president had no army, but the ranchers and plantation owners of the east had their own mini armies to protect their estates.

The president would ask eastern gavilleros (ie. Buenaventura Baez and/or Santana) to "lend" their mini-armies to fight the Haitians. The eastern gavilleros agreed along with taking over the government during the fighting.

Once the gavilleros fought the Haitians and won, they would sack the national coffers, head back to their ranches in the east, and let the Cibae?o leaders deal with the politics and a bankrupted country, until the next invasion attempt when everything was repeated all over again.

Talk about a time with insecurity!

-NALs

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
NALs said:
Democratic presidents almost always hailed from the Cibao and dictatorial caudillos hailed from the east (Trujillo included).

Trujillo from the east, Scotland part of England, I'm truly impressed.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
NALs said:

In fact, during the early years of the republic, the Cibao needed the extremely few people of the east in order to secure the existence of the DR under the threat of Haitian invasions.

The usual drill went like this:

Dominicans elected a Cibae?o as president.

The new president began his term.

Sometime through his term, Haitian troops march into the republic with an attempt to take over the country.

The president had no army, but the ranchers and plantation owners of the east had their own mini armies to protect their estates.

The president would ask eastern gavilleros (ie. Buenaventura Baez and/or Santana) to "lend" their mini-armies to fight the Haitians. The eastern gavilleros agreed along with taking over the government during the fighting.

Once the gavilleros fought the Haitians and won, they would sack the national coffers, head back to their ranches in the east, and let the Cibae?o leaders deal with the politics and a bankrupted country, until the next invasion attempt when everything was repeated all over again.

-NALs

"Eastern gavilleros"? now if that's not Cibae?o bias, then what is! ... ;-) By the way, Buenaventura Baez was from Azua.

-

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
something_of_the_night said:
NALs, I have yet to find people that would rather have been born somewhere else.

From el cibao region to the shore of the lake they call Gitchi Gummi, folks are proud of their birthplace.

-The Kid
Yes kid, people are proud of their birthplace.

But, there is an extra level of pride injected into those who are from the place that dominated and practically created the country that exist today. How many presidents came from the east or south?

Let's see now from Santiago????

-NALs

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Mirador said:
"Eastern gavilleros"? now if that's not Cibae?o bias, then what is! ... ;-) By the way, Buenaventura Baez was from Azua.

-
Anda el cachimbo!

-NALs;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Chirimoya said:
Trujillo from the east, Scotland part of England, I'm truly impressed.
The east includes the province of San Cristobal and eveyrthing east from there all the way to Punta Cana, in case you did not know.

Regarding the Scotland/England ordeal, with the influence of all these foreigners talking about cooperation/unification (it will eventually lead to that), it's getting harder and harder to see divided islands as such!

Much more so an island like Britain, divided into no less than 3 semi-autonomous regions!:cheeky: :cheeky: :cheeky:

-NALs

Jon S.

Bronze
Jan 25, 2003
It's fine to be proud of where you're from but my goodness, what a bunch of crap. I'm familiar with it because of my family member from my family that are from El Cibao, La Vega, Santiago and Puerto Plata to be exact. And then they wonder why things are f-d up in the DR. Always putting everyone else down in order to feel good..........well whatever, it's always funny to read a thread like this, I need to laugh at something :D

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
NALs, you make it sound as if the cibao-born folks had a choice of birthplace.

Have you heard of the cibae?o soldier in the US Army who was found near the mess hall blowing real hard as if putting out a stubborn birthday candle?

Previously, he had been ordered to go to Supply - V?llase a Supply...

D R HaTe Me

Oct 27, 2005
D-Money said:
Does anyone think there is a generalization of dominicans when it comes to color?I say this cause i am a light-skinned dominican and when people come to me, they say are u rican( how the hell is a rican suppose to look? the people who tells you stupid ish like this don't need to be talking)?I tell them no, i am dominican (stop telling people your NATIONALITY when you are trying describe your race )and they look at it in a funny way.I say this cause people think dominicans are only black, mulatto, etc( of corse people going to think this. 85-90% of the people in d.r are black/african descent.there is no such thing as mulatto in d.r when people say african,europeans,amerindians makes a " dominican". mulatto = african and european ancestery ONLY)

^^^^^^^^^^^^READ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ( me )

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
NALs said:
The east includes the province of San Cristobal and eveyrthing east from there all the way to Punta Cana, in case you did not know.

Nope. 'El este' is generally held to be the province of San Pedro eastwards. At a push you could say anything east of the capital, and would not be met with derision, but even so you rarely hear people describing Boca Chica and Juan Dolio in this way. Anything south/southwest of the capital is known as 'el sur', San Cristobal included.
I checked with Pib and Mr C who concur on the above.:bunny: :bunny: :bunny:

As for the nations that make up the UK, their distinct cultural identities have been enhanced by increased political and administative devolution in the last decade or so. Me, I have little time for nationalism of any sort, as you well know.

Jan 3, 2003
Nals

NALs said:
-NALs

From my vantage point, you're right. Can you think of a more horrible place than San Pedro de Macoris? These people call themselves dominicans.

There are many cibaenos who would like a separate nation called R. del Cibao. There are many cibaenos who do feel the East is African not English like they love to call themselves. Robert is English. The Easterners are cocolos.

Cibaenos just won't say it publicly. DR whites makeup less than 20% of the total population of the DR. Why would a minority crucify themselves as such?

Amongst cibaenos, there's a joke that says if you eliminate the East you could raise the white population to at least 40%. Hehe. Cibaenos are racist but in a benign way, in a joking way, not a violent form.

Compare SD and Santiago. SD is dirty, dingy place where people are agressive, street lights are adornments with no function. Red = green = yellow when they actually change colors. Usually they have 2 colors simultaneously.

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
"Compare SD and Santiago. SD is dirty, dingy place where people are agressive, street lights are adornments with no function. Red = green = yellow when they actually change colors. Usually they have 2 colors simultaneously."

Santiago is dirty too! My first time to Santiago in January 2004, I was not impressed. The main thorough fare "La estrella de Sadhala" was crowded and with creaters. Side streets were in deplorable conditions and the people were just simply Dominicans. The only areas that seem presentable were around the monument. Perhaps, I didn't go to the right places, but again every place have their nice and bad place. By the way Santo Domingo became a hell hole when all the "Lomeros" invaded the capital, looking for a better life. This was the period of Jorge Blanco, otro ladronazo cibae?o y bruto para rematar.

Petaka

Nov 8, 2002
Dominican geography

San Cristobal to the east, :surprised

Now here is another one. If I stand in the middle of the country, I would say that Azua, Barahona and Pedernales lay <u>south-west</u>.

If in Santo Domingo I would say those three provinces are <u>west</u> of the capital, <u>not south</u>.
If I decided to go south of Santo Domingo, I would drink a lot of water, but I could never get to Azua.

Jan 3, 2003
Stodgord said:
Santiago is dirty too. The only areas that seem presentable were around the monument. By the way Santo Domingo became a hell hole when all the "Lomeros" invaded the capital, looking for a better life. This was the period of Jorge Blanco, otro ladronazo cibae?o y bruto para rematar.

Haha, SD was always a hell hole. Maybe when Horacio Vazquez was there, SD was quaint and clean.

asopao

Aug 6, 2005
One time I was watching Primer Impacto ( not that I watch that trash channel, I just I bumped into it one day) I saw a report about DR. I saw that everybody was Black or very dark. I was thinking the report was from San Pedro, or Villa Mella, some Southern or Eastern city. To my Surprise, at the end of the report, they said " From La Vega" :surprised

I haven't been in La Vega for a while, but I asked my mother, she was born there. She told me that when she was a child, La Vega was mostly White,specially the campos. She said in the last decades it has been flooded with Southern Blacks migrants and Haitians, like the rest of the Cibao.

I'll give it 20 more years,and the Cibao will look just like Villa Mella.