Generalization of dominicans

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
asopao said:
One time I was watching Primer Impacto ( not that I watch that trash channel, I just I bumped into it one day) I saw a report about DR. I saw that everybody was Black or very dark. I was thinking the report was from San Pedro, or Villa Mella, some Southern or Eastern city. To my Surprise, at the end of the report, they said " From La Vega" :surprised

I haven't been in La Vega for a while, but I asked my mother, she was born there. She told me that when she was a child, La Vega was mostly White,specially the campos. She said in the last decades it has been flooded with Southern Blacks migrants and Haitians, like the rest of the Cibao.

I'll give it 20 more years,and the Cibao will look just like Villa Mella.

Most Probably, also because there has been a lot of mixed marriages in the past decades. Most of my family seem to have an attration for the darker skin.

Jan 3, 2003
M.A.R. said:
Most Probably, also because there has been a lot of mixed marriages in the past decades. Most of my family seem to have an attration for the darker skin.

The day that happens I'll be gone and so will my kind. We'll do like the elves in the LOTR when they left Middle Earth for greener pastures.

Villa Mella huh, man that's depressing just to think about but you're probably right.

corazonpartioamor

Apr 28, 2006
Different Shades

Dominicans come in all shades and its beautiful, that not everyone looks the same. Those who generalize are too ignorant to realize anything else. We have to think of a unique but diplomatic way to help people realize that not all Dominicans are dark. My husband is moreno and I hear it all the time. Something to give some thought to.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
corazonpartioamor said:
Dominicans come in all shades and its beautiful, that not everyone looks the same. Those who generalize are too ignorant to realize anything else. We have to think of a unique but diplomatic way to help people realize that not all Dominicans are dark. My husband is moreno and I hear it all the time. Something to give some thought to.
The issue, well at least my issue with some people, is that they go on and on trying to make the DR seem homogeneous when in fact its a multi-ethnic and multi-racial society.

Then, you paint their home countries with the same brush, and they go jumping up and down telling you that there country is multi-ethnic and multi-racial, despite the 70% to 90% plus white majority (depending on the country).

Then comes the question, why do some foreigners feel the need to show the DR as a homogenous country while they sometimes reject the notion of their own homelands as homogenous?

I think I understand why. I remember reading a particular article that has been stuck in my mind, this regards the United States views on diversity. Supposedly, the report from the which the article was written from mentioned that the average African-American think that a mixed neighborhood is a place where 50% of the people are black and 50% are white. With whites, a diverse neighborhood is a neighborhood with at most 25% black and 75% white.

In other words, the typical white American thinks of diversity as being healthy as long as whites remain the majority, but the average African-American thinks of a healthy diversity if its split down the middle.

I'll try to find the article (I think I saved it) so I can post the source here, but I think this says alot of why some foreigners are more inclined to refer to the DR as a homogenous country while they refuse their own countries from being called such, despite the fact that the DR and in the case of Americans, the US are both multi-ethnic and multi-racial societies.

-NALs

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Onions/Carrots said:
Haha, SD was always a hell hole. Maybe when Horacio Vazquez was there, SD was quaint and clean.
Not always.

Santo Domingo was considered an elegant town before the 1970s. Especially the Gazcue area and the areas north of the Colonial Zone which were clean, commercial areas of the city. Much of the rest of the capital did not existed in those times.

After the 1970s, the explosion began especially after a destructive hurricane would raze entire villages in the countryside. As wave after wave of migrants flooded the capital, the appearances of ramshackle slums and street vendors and such began to take a greater presence. The city (like all major Dominican towns) began to develop on a parallel between the official planned development and the unscheduled development of slums and shantytowns.

All of that has lead to the mishmash Santo Domingo is today, a city with great wealth and poverty rubbing shoulders side by side.

-NALs

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
NALs said:
Then, you paint their home countries with the same brush, and they go jumping up and down telling you that there country is multi-ethnic and multi-lingual, despite the 70% to 90% plus white majority (depending on the country).

-NALs
I guess all us white guys all look the same to your superficial viewpoint.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Onion and Carrots said:
From my vantage point, you're right.
I simply based my assumptions of the three regions of the country based on a map I have supplied by the Dominican government.

I am assuming that those people who are Santo Domingo-centric will judge the east and south with Santo Domingo being the central point between the two.

However, there are plenty of official maps which shows San Cristobal as part of the east, along with the capital and everything west from there.

The Cibao or North region starts frm Monse?or Nouel northward and the south region starts from Peravia (although I have seen some maps include Peravia as part of the east as well) all the way to the Haitian border.

The reason why the South is called the South and not the West is because the Dominican territory used to include much of what today is central Haiti, including the Artibonite Valley and the Central Platue. In fact, there are still many towns in central Haiti with Spanish names, such as the small community of Las Cahobas.

That entire region was considered the West, but when that region was given to the Haitians by the American forces who invaded the country in the beginning of the 20th century, the designation of the regions of the DR as Cibao, East and South remained, while the west simply disappeared into Haiti.

At least, that is from what I have been told and read.

Onion and Carrots said:
Can you think of a more horrible place than San Pedro de Macoris? These people call themselves dominicans.
Well, I don't think San Pedro is horrible. Different from the Cibao, certainly. Horrible? No.

They can call themselves Dominicans, that's no problem. They are from the same nation. What they can't call themselves is Cibae?os, which only a person born in the Cibao and who receives recognition from the government as a Dominican citizen could do.

The east and south are both interesting parts of the DR. They are different, but not horrible.

Onion and Carrots said:
Compare SD and Santiago. SD is dirty, dingy place where people are agressive, street lights are adornments with no function. Red = green = yellow when they actually change colors. Usually they have 2 colors simultaneously.
You must really dislike SD!

SD is both, nice and dirty. Ugly and beautiful. Rich and poor. You know, like all other cities of the world with many other cities having even more blunt and wide extremes than does SD.

Santiago has the same display of disparity as well. Let's not get carried away...

-NALs

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
HOWMAR said:
I guess all us white guys all look the same to your superficial viewpoint.
Except in those countries which ask their population to define themselves in something other than the white/black/hispanic/other options, then yes, it's safe to assume that all those white guys are considered the same within their nation.

If they were not considered the same, the census datas would show options ranging from German decendants, British decendants, Irish, Italian, etc rather than just white.

-NALs

HOWMAR

Silver
Jan 28, 2004
NALs said:
Except in those countries which ask their population to define themselves in something other than the white/black/hispanic/other options, then yes, it's safe to assume that all those white guys are considered the same within their nation.

If they were not considered the same, the census datas would show options ranging from German decendants, British decendants, Irish, Italian, etc rather than just white.

-NALs
You said how we paint our countries, not how government statistics paint them. Most Americans feel that they are part of a ethnic mosaic. What does a census count have to do with it? Just because two people say that they are white for a census count, that does not make them the same ethnicity.

Guatiao

El Leon de los Cacicazgos
Mar 27, 2004
When the Republic of El Cibao gets formed will I get citizenship? I was born in Santo Domingo, yet my family is mostly from La Vega and Puerto Plata..... or do I get disqualified for not speaking Cibeano spanish. :p

Seriously this is new to me, I did not know there was such anomosity between the regions in DR.

Exxtol

Jun 27, 2005
www.dr1.com or www.dr1-cibao.com??

I wonder how long dr1 will let these racist tirades go on. Maybe if i start talking about forming a black republic and begin professing a disdain for white dominicans and ex-pats they'll take notice. This crap has gone on long enough--but alas, maybe I'm the only one who thinks so.
:ermm:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2003
Your dream is coming true

Exxtol said:
I wonder how long dr1 will let these racist tirades go on. Maybe if i start talking about forming a black republic and begin professing a disdain for white dominicans and ex-pats they'll take notice. This crap has gone on long enough--but alas, maybe I'm the only one who thinks so.
:ermm:

Look who's talking, the black man who said if I got raped by a black man. And you're talking about letting racist tirades go on. You and your pedophilia post.

The DR is a BLACK REPUBLIC. The vast majority of people are black. Don't worry at the pace its going with the amount of white girls marrying blacks in the DR there will no white people left. At present there are only less than 15%? left. Maybe even less now.

That would be an interesting experiment to see if the DR was totally black and mulatto if it would fall aprt like Haiti. I am guessing it would but I could be wrong. Now why is that racist, why?? If you said the above it wouldn't qualify as racist.

That's the good thing about being dominican. I can say all my racist tirades ( your words) to a black dominican crowd in the DR and they would be amused by my antics.

Last edited:

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
capodominicano said:
When the Republic of El Cibao gets formed will I get citizenship? I was born in Santo Domingo, yet my family is mostly from La Vega and Puerto Plata..... or do I get disqualified for not speaking Cibeano spanish. :p

Seriously this is new to me, I did not know there was such anomosity between the regions in DR.

There's no animosity between the regions. In the east we love cibae?os; they are very jovial, and their speech is kinda cool, even when they try to compensate, as when they say 'perne' and 'acerte' instead of peine y aceite.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
something_of_the_night said:
There's no animosity between the regions. In the east we love cibae?os; they are very jovial, and their speech is kinda cool, even when they try to compensate, as when they say 'perne' and 'acerte' instead of peine y aceite.

yeah that's funny my relatives do that, acerte perne, soo funny!! :) :)
as I was growing up I thought that only the people at the campos spoke like that but then I realized that people in the city of Santiago also replaced the r with the i, funny. oye pasame ei perne pa' pernaime, cute. :)

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Yeah, much like the "southern draaaawl" in the States where the "r" is frequently dropped and words are stretched way out of shape. Carry-over from the plantation days when the owners were mainly of English Aristocratic descent. They drop the "r" also.

In Central Texas the name "Mexia" is pronounced "meheyar". Why the "r" is added, I have no idea, unless it is to make a distinction from the proper Mexican pronuciation. BTW, the "x" in Mexican is pronounced as the "j" is in Dominican Spanish. Thats the "Indian" influence in the language, I suppose.

Texas Bill

Stodgord

Bronze
Nov 19, 2004
something_of_the_night said:
Or how 'bout la caine de pueico tiene mucho acerte.

What about a cibae?o singing the song phrase from Los hermanos Rosarios

"Si no vol hol, oividate que no vol"
"Si no voy hoy, olvidate que no voy"

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I hope the opinions of some individuals in this post is not representative of the majority of Dominicans, because if it is we are lost. Why don't we emphasize things that bring us closer to each other as Dominicans. Pride in were a person comes from can be a beautiful thing but it can also be perverted to become something arrogant and ugly. As the saying goes "United we stand, divided we fall"

Randy1

Apr 28, 2006

Exxtol, you are are not alone i think so too.
I think the DR forum is the only place on the web where the human skin color is discussed so much. White Dominican, Black Dominican Haitian Italian Russian, American etc. Does it really matter? For some it seems really does on this forum and in this country.
It is just lack of education. Do not forget this is the third world country what you expect from the majority of people who live here???

many foreigners come here to live and work be carefull is my advise to you do not buy the nice smiles you see on the faces of these people
In their soles many of them hate you and wish you the worst
If you work many will try to get you out I talked to one dominican taxist when i told that i have been working in the DR more than 4 years and on the same place he was surprised he said that dominicans do not like it. they do not want foreigners be working here. It is not a problem if you are from Cuba, venezuela . It is a problem when you are white from the USA, Russia, England etc. Sometimes I think what would happen to this country if there were no one foreigner working here, or dominiacns who recieved an education abroad? I think that this would be an a... whole
Sad thruth

Mar 21, 2002
Okay, I'm sorry

thanatos said:
I hope the opinions of some individuals in this post is not representative of the majority of Dominicans, because if it is we are lost. Why don't we emphasize things that bring us closer to each other as Dominicans.

Okay, I love black people. Black people are beautiful. They're very funny, talented people. As in all races, there are good and bad people. I promise not to brandish an entire race of people for the few rotten apples that will always exist. I PROMISE.