German Butcher shop Sosua Jimmy Dean sausage

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I’m really surprised that none of the big supermarket chains have imported Jimmy Dean. I can’t tell you how many pounds I’ve brought there in my carry-ons over the years. Usually 10-12 pounds each trip (not for us, for friends!).

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
I have tried 5 different "same as" recipes for Jimmy Dean and come close, but not the same as the original.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I’m really surprised that none of the big supermarket chains have imported Jimmy Dean. I can’t tell you how many pounds I’ve brought there in my carry-ons over the years. Usually 10-12 pounds each trip (not for us, for friends!).
I don't know why, but my heart jumped when I saw this thread title. lol

I've also submitted suggestions to Jumbo and Nacional on various occasions but no dice. I'm guessing it may have something to do with the price.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Try the new Lider brand breakfast sausage at jumbo, I was surprised at how good they are. they sell out quick

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Try the new Lider brand breakfast sausage at jumbo, I was surprised at how good they are. they sell out quick
That's interesting! Are they made locally or imported? I think a lot of the Lider and Top Choice brands are from the U.S.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
That German butcher makes Fresh Ground Pork.. so fresh in fact that is can be eaten as " Mett" ...
So why not try making your own , with the ultra fresh Pork ?
here is one of the knockoff recipes for Jimmy Dean

its worth a try , no ? how hard could it be.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
You guys are making me hungry.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Don't know where the lider sausages are made but they are pretty good, I find most lider brand stuff is pretty decent. And the price is right.

Pikobello

Nov 12, 2020
Santo Domingo
Any chance they have something like it? If so, can you give me the exact name in German?
A german butcher will sell you german sausage, so I'm sure jimmy dean (I'm german and never heard of this) will not on his list. But you can ask for Nuernberger or Thueringer Rostbratwurst, Wiener or Frankfurter, Krakauer or Currywurst.

Reactions: Conchman

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I grabbed a couple of packages of the Lider brand sausage. I found them to be pretty good as well.

The casings are tougher than the Johnsonville links though.

I've tried the two side by side for breakfast for a few days now (instead of steak) and I am definitely leaning towards Johnsonsville.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Tough to find cheaper than that brand, and also hard to find worse............
Au contraire, there are quite a few cheaper options available that are truly terrible tasting.

I've tried most of the commercial brands (we won't even mention the freshly made stuff sold on the streets) and there are many that I tried one and fed the rest to the neighbor cats.

Those are the ones your eyes skim over while you're looking for a familiar label.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Tough to find cheaper than that brand, and also hard to find worse............
I bought the Johnsonville sausages and they were edible but not memorable but the dogs loved them.
Now this is Jimmy Dean Sage flavor is memorable :

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 91

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I bought the Johnsonville sausages and they were edible but not memorable but the dogs loved them.
Now this is Jimmy Dean Sage flavor is memorable :
Which flavor did you try? There are a few of them.