German Man's 'Basura' Protest

Feb 15, 2005
What's really overlooked here, is the utter disdain that the local Dominican population has for foreigners and especially those who complain about current conditions. They don't give a fuk about how an extranjero feels about his/her living conditions. It's kinda understandable to a degree given how most local live. Most locals who are not part of the middle class and up, and do not marry an extranjero who can provide a better life, grew up under these conditions and therefore negligible.
Once, years ago, the extranjero population was treated with a lot more regard and in my observation that has changed quite noticeably.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the thing is that dominicans b**ch about exactly the same things as foreigners: noise, dirt, crime. and it's ok. but if you try to raise your concerns as a foreigner dominicans get all defensive and unreasonable.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Yes, Dominicans bitch about the same things but the difference is that no
Dominican in their right mind would've done what the foreigner did. To
throw trash in front of a local town hall? That would've gotten them
a beating for sure just like it did to that guy.

It was looked on as defiance and disrespectful.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yes, Dominicans bitch about the same things but the difference is that no Dominican in their right mind would've done what the foreigner did. To throw trash in front of a local town hall? That would've gotten them a beaten for sure just like it did to that guy.
It was looked on as defiance and disrespectful.

oh, i please you! like constant huelgas, bombarding cars with stones, throwing garbage on the street and setting the bins on fire is so respectful...

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
oh, i please you! like constant huelgas, bombarding cars with stones, throwing garbage on the street and setting the bins on fire is so respectful...

And they get their asses kicked and shot by the police for it too when they are caught.

I've personally witnessed a few huelgas.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I don't get it. Someone has been arrested in DR for littering? Hahaha!
I love how contented Dominicans get when there is drama to be had. It also looks to me like the guy was drunk, and maybe he is now regretting his pathetic attempt at a protest.
Dominicans complain all day about the same thing as we expats do, and they never do anything about it, never make a stance for their own rights, the lack of action is the reason this country never changes, and will never change as long as this idle culture continues.

Good on him for standing up for his rights as a resident, but if he thought that this would change anything then he hasn't lived here long enough, or to the contrary maybe too long.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
And they get their asses kicked and shot by the police for it too when they are caught.
I've personally witnessed a few huelgas.

so have i and generally there is always lots of aggression there. it's another story to get your ass kicked for destroying public and private property and a different thing to get the beating for a peaceful protest, albeit a bit dirty :)

Feb 15, 2005
The foreigner did what no Dominican would've done and lived to tell about it. He is a hero in their eyes.:)

Nah, I don't think so. A hero for a Dominican or anyone else is to save a child from a overflowing river or taking a person in an accident to a hospital in your vehicle.

But throwing garbage in front of a municipal building may only cause you side looks next time in the colmado.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Nah, I don't think so. A hero for a Dominican or anyone else is to save a child from a overflowing river or taking a person in an accident to a hospital in your vehicle.

But throwing garbage in front of a municipal building may only cause you side looks next time in the colmado.

He'll get more than side looks. He'll be the talk of the town.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
He'll get more than side looks. He'll be the talk of the town.

Doubt it, littering is not even recognised here, throwing trash around is not exactly looked upon as a sign of rebellion, more so just the norm.
The drama surrounding him because he was drunk would have brought more light to him, but just for being a bit of a tit, he can't even speak Spanish fluently enough to not sound like a tit, what is his business trying to bring Europe to the Caribbean?
F--k it, it's dirty here, live with it.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
bob, you will learn one day that personal insults from you and your little group of Jarabacoa bigots have no effect on me. i will continue to show you up for what you are; a marginally educated, weak minded simpleton, and a rampaging racist to boot. i will show up your academic limitations, and remind you how much of a racist you are.

I couldn't agree more Gordon.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Dominicans complain all day about the same thing as we expats do, and they never do anything about it, never make a stance for their own rights, the lack of action is the reason this country never changes, and will never change as long as this idle culture continues.

Good on him for standing up for his rights as a resident, but if he thought that this would change anything then he hasn't lived here long enough, or to the contrary maybe too long.

Actually, most of the things that have been accomplished in this country have been through fighting. People often get together to get things done. For example, when I was a kid my neighborhood had no paved streets and no lights, so a group of neighbors got together, got signatures and started knocking doors and, they got it done.

Huelgas are often the only way many cities have actually obtained water, roads, schools, zonas francas, etc. People who participate in huelgas often get shot and killed by the police. There are huelga leaders who have been persecuted for decades.

I think that you gringos should form groups, organize yourselves and protest to get things done too. This is the first time I ever heard about a gringo doing something like this!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yew years back some gringos were protesting in front of costambar in order to have the road fixed. and then again about the power issues.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Actually, most of the things that have been accomplished in this country have been through fighting. People often get together to get things done. For example, when I was a kid my neighborhood had no paved streets and no lights, so a group of neighbors got together, got signatures and started knocking doors and, they got it done.

Huelgas are often the only way many cities have actually obtained water, roads, schools, zonas francas, etc. People who participate in huelgas often get shot and killed by the police. There are huelga leaders who have been persecuted for decades.

I think that you gringos should form groups, organize yourselves and protest to get things done too. This is the first time I ever heard about a gringo doing something like this!

Rubbish, because you accomplished one thing does not compensate the issues that need to be addressed here.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Rubbish, because you accomplished one thing does not compensate the issues that need to be addressed here.

I gave one example, never said that was the only thing that was accomplished. Also talked about water, schools, zonas Francas. It?s easy to say that Dominicans don?t do anything when in reality locals get beaten, shot and killed for protesting for something as basic as water or roads for their communities.

It?s easy to say that while you?re bored sitting around in some campo, watching chickens go by. We whine, bitch and get frustrated about the same things , but the typical gringo just sits around just saying there?s nothing to be done. This is interesting, because you were usually ought up in a can do environment, whereas the local, was brought knowing things are going to be difficult for you, but you go and try anyways.

So, Kudos to this German Garbage man! He did something! He had a problem and took it to the source. He didn?t just sit down, doing nothing!!!

Last edited: