Status
Not open for further replies.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
what a joke.

HE/SHE can't help themself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Have you EVER seen a dominican change their mind in relation to overwhelming evidence???????????

AND, YOU never will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

and, vIRGO, GOING TO TELL US IF YOU ACTUALLY LIKE IN THE dr,or not????????????

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Contrary to what some say here that in DR everything is getting better and better, beyond this forum I almost only speak to Dominicans. And what I hear and see is that they dislike the way this country is going more and more. Always the low class wanted to leave this island to look for a better life elsewhere, but now it's the middle and middle high class that wants to leave. In my social circle I hear about people leaving to Canada, USA, Europe, Chile. Life is getting better here, despite the economical development of Santo Domingo, that development is only for a small group, the breach between that small group and the have-nots is getting bigger and bigger, causing more crime and more insecureness.
I don't know which Dominicans you are talking to, and cannot speak for them. The vast majority of Dominicans who talk about wanting to move elsewhere have NEVER actually lived anywhere else (and most have NEVER even visited elsewhere). Hence they have no basis to compare. Anywhere, that has NOTHING to do with this very sad but very specific tragedy.

I have no problem at all with those who come to believe that the DR is NOT for them, and decide to move on. There are almost 200 countries to choose from, and if you have a developed-country passport you can probably get in most. If you are in that group, best wishes to you as you search for a new home.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I don't know which Dominicans you are talking to, and cannot speak for them. The vast majority of Dominicans who talk about wanting to move elsewhere have NEVER actually lived anywhere else (and most have NEVER even visited elsewhere). Hence they have no basis to compare. Anywhere, that has NOTHING to do with this very sad but very specific tragedy.

I have no problem at all with those who come to believe that the DR is NOT for them, and decide to move on. There are almost 200 countries to choose from, and if you have a developed-country passport you can probably get in most. If you are in that group, best wishes to you as you search for a new home.

I wonder where that was posted from, probably "Nueba Yor", "DA Heights"!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
on the facebook-page of Luiyi Peralta (the guy from pop-news) a lot (and I mean really a lot) of people who knew the guy who was shot by the police say that he was a hard worker and not a criminal.
I know that the family etc will say this about someone all the time, but normally if a criminal is shot, there isn't so much fuss about it.
I want to see what news they will bring in the next hours/days, if it really was him or not

http://www.puertoplatadigital.com/verNoticia.aspx?Id=21017

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Search Succesful

...There are almost 200 countries to choose from, and if you have a developed-country passport you can probably get in most. If you are in that group, best wishes to you as you search for a new home.

Thank you.
Search was successful. :classic:

Want to buy my pumpgun???? :cheeky:

donP

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
What a SURPRISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Instead of accepting the fact that DR1.com IS a website solely for comments about the Dominican Republic (With the acception of the "Off Topic Forum) "Virgin" goes right back to the permanent Dominican excuse of,"It's worse everywhere else", even AFTER,...dv8 tells him not to.
They NEVER LEARN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Stop your provocations and flame-baiting and stay on topic. Comparing the DR to similar countries/places like your island it is ABOUT the DR. Even you should be able to see that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
posters are reminded to stay on topic, which is murder of a german tourist in POP. there will be no further warnings.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
I LOVE wearing gold jewellery, but when I go to the DR I take it all off... I have 10 earrings which I replace with costume jewelry earring (workth maybe $5) and had someone on the Malecon tried to take them off my ears "as a joke".
Years ago I went to Santo Domingo on Caribe Tours and when I got off the bus a guy walked up to me and grabbed my gold chain around my neck and was trying to pull it off... I socked him so hard in the gut he was gasping for air. Ever since than I don't wear anything of value, even leave my expensive designer purses at home too.

Some people don't think about removing anything of value when in the city, I didn't until that happened to me... really unfortunate.

I am also one to not just give my stuff up my natural instincts is to go bat **** crazy on their ass...

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
what a joke.
Not a joke at all. If over the course of a year, about one foreigner lost his/her life to violence in the DR every week, that would be about 50 a year.
Considering that FIVE MILLION tourists come to the DR in recent years (plus add resident expats, business people, etc who may not be included in the 5 MM), it would be less than 1 murder per every 100,000 foreigners (obviously FAR LOWER than what they experience in their own homelands).

Even if you multiply it by two or even by 3 (to account for this, that or the other) it would still be VERY low.

Then again, that is no consolation to the 50 (or whatever number) of foreigners killed or their loved ones. Zero would be far better. If you have suggestions to accomplish that, please, provide them. I and I am sure the vast majority of Dominicans would be grateful for your suggestions.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
If you have suggestions to accomplish that, please, provide them. I and I am sure the vast majority of Dominicans would be grateful for your suggestions.

First suggestion....Reform all police agencies completely or if you want to be specific fire them all and start over

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
Not a joke at all. If over the course of a year, about one foreigner lost his/her life to violence in the DR...
Considering that FIVE MILLION tourists come to the DR in recent years

and pretty much everyone goes to punta cana (which is 'slightly different' than the north cost, or even the rest of the DR), on the other hand, all the murders lately happened at the north coast.

that does not make the north coast a safe place, on the contrary. it's always good to first understand the data before coming to a conclusion.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
and pretty much everyone goes to punta cana (which is 'slightly different' than the north cost, or even the rest of the DR), on the other hand, all the murders lately happened at the north coast.

that does not make the north coast a safe place, on the contrary. it's always good to first understand the data before coming to a conclusion.

Good point. Many of those that visit the country take Resort provided transportation to the resort and the only time they leave the resort is to go back to the airport in order to return home.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
So, bottom line is NOT MATTER what they do, the Dominican police cannot satisfy you. If no one is caught, they are incompetent for not catching anyone. If they catch and/or kill someone, it wasn't really the right guy. They just framed someone to pretend they did any work. Right?
What would impress me, Virgo, is if:
(1) The police arrested someone
(2) That person was detained without being tortured, beaten up or intimidated
(3) That person was given a fair trial
(4) That person was found to be guilty on sufficient dependable evidence
(5) That person was sentenced to an appropriate punishment (in this case life imprisonment as the DR has no death penalty)
(6) That person served their sentence without being murdered in prison or being released after the authorities were bribed.

I cannot see any of that happening for another generation or two in this country.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
This does not surprise me at all.

local media, however, starting from the first article i linked, write that the family claims innocence of the man killed and says he was working at the time the crime took place.

i will try to post any follow up top this story in the future, even if the thread gets closed.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
No streotyping.... but a Scandal

Then tell these people to talk about THIS incident without generalizing, stereotyping and scandalizing. Comparing OUR situation to those of similar places is perfectly legitimate, when others are ATTACKING us without basis. This is A TERRIBLE TRAGEDY. True. It is also true that TERRIBLE TRAGEDIES like this happen nearby at much higher rate.

I have family in various locations on the North Coast.
Dominicans are victims of murder, assault, stabbing,robberies and break in very frequently.
Many are reported in the local media, many not.
There is very little help or confidence of the authorities.
Expat and tourist incidents are usually well documented.
The DR is not very safe or well organized. Little serious effort to remedy this situation is done by Gob.Do.

Jan 7, 2016
local media, however, starting from the first article i linked, write that the family claims innocence of the man killed and says he was working at the time the crime took place.

i will try to post any follow up top this story in the future, even if the thread gets closed.

The family will claim anything that gets their thug relative off-the-hook...make him prove he was at work...show us the time on his card or the money in his pocket (not the stolen money from the German tourist!).

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The family will claim anything that gets their thug relative off-the-hook...make him prove he was at work...show us the time on his card or the money in his pocket (not the stolen money from the German tourist!).

actually, nothing will get him off the hook at this juncture. he is now deceased.

Status
Not open for further replies.