GEt ready for some BIG NEWS: Residence News

donP

Dec 14, 2008
What Problems?

(...) my lawyer says it will be better to renew it now, to avoid problems with the application of new laws.

I have yet to understand how those new regulations would affect residents who have had 'residencias' for many years.

Now, could Sr. Guzman clarify, please?

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this is exactly what yordi says. for those who've had residency for years nothing should change. but who knows what confusion the new law will cause in inmigracion? therefore it is better to do renewal now (seeing that it expires fairly soon anyways) and have it off my chest (which is loaded is it is, really ;) ). in two years everything should be clear enough...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
donP she is not fibbing about her chest. Makes other women green with jealousy.

dv8. To renew permanent for 2 years it is 4000 pesos which includes 1000 for VIP - ie same day. That is what I paid last week. The rest one assumes is for your lawyer, who you really don't need at all to renew. You just go to immigration, fill in form, have fingerprints taken. Wait. Pay. Wait. Have photo done. Wait. Get card. You could also consider going to Santiago as is much closer and much faster. If you did the photo and fingerprint thing last time then just go to Santiago. The only reason I couldn't do it there is as I had not done the fingerprints and new photo.

The changes they are talking about for renewing existing permanent residencies are a medical each time you renew, you will have to have medical insurance from a government approved provider, and rumours of increases in fees. No idea when these will be introduced. You should also check if you can renew ahead of time. Why not call Santiago Migracion? 809 971 1333 (acc to yellow pages).

Matilda