Getting a Dominican Passport

sophiadcruise

Dec 31, 2013
I think Getting a citizenship in the Dominican Republic may be a perfect solution to certain individuals for the various tax reasons, as well as having an alternative residency in the event that you are unhappy with or wish to leave your current country for any reason. The above thread about Getting a Dominican Passport is quite informative and one can access a good amount of knowledge from the same as well.

Jul 3, 2015
I am Honduran/American born in the USA. Married to a dominicana but now separated. How can I get a Dominican passport? How expensive is it? Lawyers fees? What are the steps? Thanks Allen
If you would please e-mail me your reply since I am not able to be on this site often thanks

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
What do you do for money if you can not have a bank account as you do not have a CEDULA!

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi
what s the process for a foreigner with temporaries cedula and residency to apply for dominican passport.
Im belgian, in the DR for 4 years, I have a dominican child 16 months (very nice and cute)
:)

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Hi
what s the process for a foreigner with temporaries cedula and residency to apply for dominican passport.
Im belgian, in the DR for 4 years, I have a dominican child 16 months (very nice and cute)

Once again (omdat je Belg bent)....

ZD38Nd.png

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Dank U :)
but this is when you re married to a dominicana

which Im not gracias a diossssssssssss :)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Hi

In order to get a passport, you need to be a citizen.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Rep Dom,

Just for clarification is the passport for you or the child?

You need to be a DR citizen first if the passport is for you. If for the child, and if they issue passports to DR born children that young, it should be possible by submitting the required paperwork, paying the fees and performing a few standing back flips. If you need your child to be documented for Int'l travel, maybe consider having your child added to your Belgian passport if that is possible.*

lesia787

Jan 16, 2010
I can't find the answer to the question if a person has permanent residence (valid for 2 years), can he or she apply for the passport and how or the permanent residence should be renovated for a 4 years first.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I can't find the answer to the question if a person has permanent residence (valid for 2 years), can he or she apply for the passport and how or the permanent residence should be renovated for a 4 years first.

only a citizen can get a passport

lesia787

Jan 16, 2010
bob saunders Thank you.

I'm trying to figure out what is the plan if you have a permanent residence. Do you just renew it and wait 4 years or there are some other options.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The best option if you intend to live here is go one step further and go for Citizenship. No more hassles of any kind after that one.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
bob saunders Thank you.

I'm trying to figure out what is the plan if you have a permanent residence. Do you just renew it and wait 4 years or there are some other options.
bob nailed it.

Just be aware that the US frowns on dual citizenships, although dual-citizenship by marriage is not.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Two years residency qualifies you to apply for citizenship, then passports 

Need six months validity left on the cedula/residency

lesia787

Jan 16, 2010
william webster Thank you. If there is less than 6 months left, then the permanent residence should be renewed first and only then application for the citizenship may be started, is it correct?

DoktorDre

Jul 13, 2017
Hi
I'm from UK and I'm moving next year and I'd like to know how hard will be to get DR passport? Is it possible to get it for foreign people?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hi
I'm from UK and I'm moving next year and I'd like to know how hard will be to get DR passport? Is it possible to get it for foreign people?

You have to begin by applying for residency. It takes years before you'll qualify for citizenship, unless you're married to a Dominican.