Getting Covid-19 is Not a You Live or You Die Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
I have read many articles that this nasty virus is not a you live or you die proposition. In many instances its much worse.

Recovery can be a 60 day deal and much longer. This virus can present inflammation long after you get a negative test. Severe joint pain, severe fatigue which if you have never had these symptoms can be debilitating.

It can trigger auto-immune responses in your body which can last a lifetime. Arthritis, Asthma, Colitas, sinusitis, fibromayalgia, bowel diseases, Chrones and allergies you have never had.

Sure its the luck of the draw if your lungs get turned into hard rubber and you die but if you survive it the future may end up a long miserable haul.

There are blogs and groups chock full of these survivor stories.

If Covid19 is a live or die proposition for you, you may want to rethink your strategy to avoid getting it. If you have one.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Unless one has gone through pneumonia or dengue most people have no idea just how terrible a sickness can be.
I contracted a pneumonia a couple of years ago and spent a week in the hospital in P.P.
I had no idea that a person could be so sick and still be alive.

This CV can leave you to die alone in the hospital.
Everyone dies but this disease will cause your last hours to be slowly suffocating on a ventilator.
Not how I plan to end up and I take all possible precautions to protect myself and my family from this horror.
Imagine how you will feel if you get sick but survive yet bring the disease home and have family members die.
I would not want to go through life knowing that my loved ones died as a result of my lack of care.

scot_tosh

May 21, 2010
The health services in the UK are warning that they will be dealing with large numbers of people who have permanent severe lung damage after surviving the virus and are worried about the number of people with this damage which will probably be lifelong

Reactions: GusFring

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
This CV can leave you to die alone in the hospital.

A very good friend of my wife's and her sister's who lives in NYC lost her father (a senior citizen, lived also in NYC) to COVID a few weeks ago... May he RIP... Indeed, the worst part was that as far as I know, nobody was allowed to visit him in the hospital... I heard that many similar things happened there... Relatives passing away alone in the hospital... That man worked hard his whole life, bringing his entire family from the DR to NYC (all 100 % Dominican)...

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
I agree. I am now suffering from CFS. One day you can think you are getting better then the next 3 days you cannot do anything. My lungs feel better and I can get up the stairs but I wonder what damage my other organs have suffered from. I discovered Sodium Bicarbonate. Check it out. I should have taken it when I was going through the Cytokine storm.

Son of a sailor

Sep 30, 2019
The nurse that had a mild case i know is still suffering from symptoms, and has been clear of the virus for at least a month by now.
her joints ache, and her energy is zapped, and suffers from dizziness/vertigo.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Nick Cordero - from Hamilton ON. ---a Latino

Nick Cordero, a musical theater actor whose intimidating height and effortless charm brought him a series of tough-guy roles on Broadway, died on Sunday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. He was 41.
His death was announced on Instagram by his wife, Amanda Kloots. The couple, who moved from New York to Los Angeles last year, have a 1-year-old son, Elvis.
“My darling husband passed away this morning,” she wrote. “He was surrounded in love by his family, singing and praying as he gently left this earth.”
She did not cite a cause, but he had been hospitalized for three months after contracting the coronavirus.

Mr. Cordero’s experience with the virus, which included weeks in a medically induced coma and the amputation of his right leg, was chronicled by Ms. Kloots on Instagram.

Mr. Cordero fell ill on March 20 with what was initially diagnosed as pneumonia and later as Covid-19, Ms. Kloots said in a series of Instagram posts.
For weeks, he was kept alive with extensive treatment, including the use of a ventilator, dialysis and a specialized heart-lung bypass machine; he endured brief heart stoppage, minor heart attacks and sepsis, Ms. Kloots said, as well as the leg amputation and a tracheotomy

Ms. Kloots’s frequent updates on Instagram, interspersed with short video clips from well-wishers, periodically had encouraging news; on April 24, Ms. Kloots said that Mr. Cordero had two negative Covid-19 tests.

“We think the virus is out of his system, and now we’re just dealing with recovery and getting his body back from all the repercussions of the virus,” she said. And on May 12, she said he had woken up after the lengthy medically induced coma.

But he continued to battle a lung infection, and by May 20 she told her followers that “unfortunately things are going a little downhill at the moment” and asked for prayers.

In recent weeks, he had been able to respond to some communication with his eyes but remained immobile, according to his wife.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
We are all individuals with our own immune systems acting as diverse as we are each so much different .... I came to DR to get away from the annual October Pneumonia curse.... just the change of weather would trigger a spell of pneumonia.....The 10 year pneumonia inoculation keeps the viral pneumonia but not the one induced by other illnesses such as cv19.
It is important to consume Vitamin C as a first line defense ....but no guarantees. It is Mango season though!!!

There is no way we can predict the outcome of the CV19 virus long term impact ...... this has never happened before in my generation (77 yrs) , so any so called expert advice is better than nothing, however it is a roll of the dice.
Keep isolated as much as you can, eat copious amounts of fruit and vegetables , add the proper supplements to your diet and hang on ; this is one roller coaster ride that we cannot get off anywhere we wish.

I woke up not dead this morning ; great feeling.... working on today already.

Stay safe my friends and be positive in thoughts not CV19 tests!

I got a terrible respiratory infection from the Sahara/Gobi dust storm... shaking it more every day.

Russell

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The long term effects..... we have NO idea.
We are getting a better idea as more people get affected and it’s not good. Long term damage to pulmonary systems, cardiovascular systems, etc. The virus spread may eventually be reduced by vaccines but the treatment of long term damage will tax the resources of already overloaded and underfunded medical systems in many countries. The resources expended for HIV treatment worldwide are one example of the long term impacts. Still with us but not a death warrant in countries where good medical access is available. I expect the Covid-19 legacy to follow the same pattern.

Reactions: GringoRubio

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Long Term ??

we've only had 6 mos or so
wait a few yrs to opine on 'long term' effects
The problem is that there are people running around that blythely ignoring the risk and costs of the disease. That these risks haven't been scientifically established based on a long term data doesn't mean that these risk don't exist nor that we can't talk about them.

I was physically ill when I realized that the USA and other countries wouldn't attempt to keep Covid19 from getting a foothold citing economic damage when the risks were unknown. In hindsight, that was an amazingly short sighted and contemptible decision.

"Hope for best but plan for the worse" is a motto I live by.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The problem is that there are people running around that blythely ignoring the risk and costs of the disease. That these risks haven't been scientifically established based on a long term data doesn't mean that these risk don't exist nor that we can't talk about them.

I was physically ill when I realized that the USA and other countries wouldn't attempt to keep Covid19 from getting a foothold citing economic damage when the risks were unknown. In hindsight, that was an amazingly short sighted and contemptible decision.

"Hope for best but plan for the worse" is a motto I live by.

Right Blondie.....
the risk is there
but difficult to impossible to address 'long term' effects

There are (have been ) several different response to dealing w/ the problem.....
and varying rates of success

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are lots of people who aren't taking the virus as seriously as they should. Some here on DR1 and all the people on the news gathering in bars, parks and at the beach. If people gather the virus will spread. It's as simple as that. Masks and distance certainly help but are no guarantee of safety. If you have to go out, gear up. If you don't really have to go out, stay home. Prevent yourself or someone else from getting sick because you can. Otherwise the infection rates keep rising and healthcare becomes less available for everyone.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Right Blondie.....
the risk is there
but difficult to impossible to address 'long term' effects

There are (have been ) several different response to dealing w/ the problem.....
and varying rates of success

Long term affects are not a hypothetical to many with scarred lungs, cardio, and neurological after effects. That damage is life-changing and life-threatening. The body can adjust but it's cumulative and comes back to haunt you as you age.

Why so dismissive? Have I treated with less than respect?

Status
Not open for further replies.