getting driver license in DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Waste of time trying verifying a foreign license.

This process... driv license - is the simplest of RD processes

Reactions: tht

csteinwand

May 11, 2020
Puerto Plata
i am in the process of getting my license. i had to get a certified copy of my driving history report, and then have that apostilled. will have translated by my lawyer here in the dr

erod

Apr 9, 2017
erod, do you have a Dominican Cedula , as in being a legal resident in the DR?

(Others are correct in stating you cannot use a US license to get a DR license. You have to just go through the procedure here. )
hi, yes i have a dominican cedula. i will go through the procedure of taking the test etc. For some reason I thought i could just go there and swap my usa license for a dominican one without taking any test. thanks everybody for your response. i really appreciate it

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
A blind man can go to any driving school, pay the fee and get a license..................
I was looking for a driving instructor recently for my mujer. I was told 7000 pesos for the license all in. No need for a test, instructions or to show up for anything. Just go and provide a blood test.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My experience was sort of like that - a few yrs ago

I had to take the test - but I had an 'assistant' w/ me..... no road test

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I never took a road test. My first license was "purchased in Santo Domingo" and renewed several times in Puerto Plata before it was found to never be in the system. Oh my.

So then I just took the video test, which I failed the first time because of the accent of the questioner which I could not quite understand.

Dealing with the people in Puerto Plata is actually a pleasure. They are very nice unlike the people in US motor vehicle offices.

There should be no problem for the OP to get a DR license.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Dealing with the people in Puerto Plata is actually a pleasure. They are very nice unlike the people in US motor vehicle offices.
Coming from NYC that made me laugh. One could only compare the US motor vehicle office in NYC to North Korea, Siberia, or Communist China. That's about as close as I can come to a comparison.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Awhile back I asked my lawyer if I could get a drivers license without a cedula and he told me yes, I never followed up with him. However, the guys is no flake so he must have said yes for a reason. Just my two cents.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Awhile back I asked my lawyer if I could get a drivers license without a cedula and he told me yes, I never followed up with him. However, the guys is no flake so he must have said yes for a reason. Just my two cents.
I would like to know how, as I never heard that before.

Reactions: MikeFisher

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I believe that there are certain types of visas (not tourist cards or tourist visas) that allow the holder to obtain a Dominican license or, alternatively, drive on the license from their home country for an extended time over the usual permitted time.

Think, diplomatic visas or visas for NGO workers like Peace Corps volunteers.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
the holders of certain visa types can drive/get dr license without becoming a resident/cedula.
the average Joe, coming on a tourist visa, has to get residency/cedula to be eligable for a DR Drivers License.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I believe that there are certain types of visas (not tourist cards or tourist visas) that allow the holder to obtain a Dominican license or, alternatively, drive on the license from their home country for an extended time over the usual permitted time.

Think, diplomatic visas or visas for NGO workers like Peace Corps volunteers.
I've been told USA driver's license is ok
while in the county on 30 day tourist stamp, day 31 no longer valid because technically in the county illegally. Please feel free to correct me if this information is wrong.

• Love
Reactions: CDNBear

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I think you're right on that

and the extension allows for further 'legal' driving
under the "exception" that certain vehicle insurances have their own certain fine print.
some would allow a foreigner to drive Insured (even without a valid license at that moment by the view of a CESTUR Agent) for more than 30 days of the tourist card validity
while other contracts could state the opposite. I say "could" , as i don't know all of the existing "fine print" variations.
i just got a good 2 years ago, when i bought my actual car, some hints on that as a warning by my car dealer's cousin, who is running the insurance company for their clients, including that they also run a rental car company together.
there are many hints and traps etc etc to look out for.
99.9% of drivers will never face any such troubles,
but it would be a life time P.I.T.A. if YOU/ME would be caught on denial of coverage in such once in a life time "hit".
to myself it doesn't matter,as I have my DR license.

Reactions: CDNBear

Michael DR

Banned
Jun 7, 2020
Earth
Please ask him how. What the process it and let us know.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
The number under you picture on your dr driving licence is the same as your cedula. Will your no flake lawyer create one for you?
It will be a false driving licence. They need a cedula number to put it in the system. You also need a cedula number to check if you do not have any unpaid tickets..........

Nowadays with all this stuff computerized very difficult to falsify and even if it was it will be pick up quickly.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Please ask him how. What the process it and let us know.
the process of such "lawyer" is easy to explain.
he know's or has a compu savy son/niece etc comfy to use photoshop.
and he has or know's somebody who has a simple machine printing plastic cards(like CC's, DL's, Cedulas, Carnets etc etc).
you pay him some $$$ and he give's you a 5 cents worth plastic and that's it.
done deal.