getting driver license in DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Personally (gracias a dios) I cannot speak definitively about car accidents and insurance
but there is a strong sense/feeling here that after the allotted 90 days -
not all plans are equal

We had a report a few yrs ago about a medical claim/hospital visit by a non-resident who had an RD health policy -
Turned out non-residents' claims were capped at lower number.... not really full coverage
The guy was out ~$2,000US he reported

Can an insurance person speak to that?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
For sure, but being dragged into court for an accident will probably end up badly for any non-native.
Cedula or no cedula,
DL or no DL,
Citizenship or not.......

Not just non natives. Dominicans who are well off can be pulled in to court by someone looking for a payoff, insurance or no.

I know of two instances where a vehicle belonging to a native was involved in an accident that was clearly the other persons fault, and both times the natives had to scramble to move possessions out of their name and into a corporation for protection because they were sued by the other party.

So imagine for a non-native.

• Love
Reactions: MikeFisher

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Personally (gracias a dios) I cannot speak definitively about car accidents and insurance
but there is a strong sense/feeling here that after the allotted 90 days -
not all plans are equal

We had a report a few yrs ago about a medical claim/hospital visit by a non-resident who had an RD health policy -
Turned out non-residents' claims were capped at lower number.... not really full coverage
The guy was out ~$2,000US he reported

Can an insurance person speak to that?
Could you clarify a bit more. Is this a Car insurance medical claim or a standard medical claim that is said to be capped at a lower number for a foreigner?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
They don't care which I have found out many times with my insurance and also many friends don't have a license and they have gotten paid out so...I will not miss the know it alls posting here all the time at all. Once i'm gone bye bye dr1!

well it has for me and the wife multiple times and for my friends....so um....
nice for you and your wife.
anyways, what is the reason why you and your wife and friends all drive here without a driver license and obviously are involved in accidents/incidents once in a while?
but never mind, to each their own.
I bailed once a buddy of mine out at the courthouse in Higuey.
he was sitting in his parked car(nice parked as it has to be with all lights on) when a idiot without nothing hit him in da Äzz" of the company car.
those company cars been company rentals from Avis, all happened about 10 years ago.
he had no DL and no Residency, the kid who hit him did not even have a insurance, while the company Avis Rental had the Avis Full Coverage.
whle the stupid been at a medic(a friend of their family) my buddy been taken in and called me from there.
on top of the Avis Full Coverage I left a personal check for 700.000.- Pesos to manage to take him hoe and not stay in a cell in beautiful Higuey.
teh stupid Kid, producing the accident, simply had a sneaky street lawyer from Veron who pointed out to the Fiscal that my buddy has no residency and no valid DR-DL, that was for them enough to take him in, without questioning the non-existence of the Kids papers/insurance etc.
of course many come by with nothing, even in daily accidents,
but the risk is high that one sunny day something goes bad and then without the appropriate papers or against a sneaky street lawyer you are nuked and earn the card "do not leave jail for a long time".
again, nocomplint from my side, but teh last almost 3 decades I saw myself sadly a good number of smartasses who simply got their future nuked to shi.the.l for very simple things not complying with.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Note: This is satirical:

Mike your personal experience of problems arising from someone who did not have a DL and your need to bail them out is totally irrelevant. After all, we have it on good word that someone else and their friends never had a problem. That should settle this once and for all.

Nobody should ever pay attention to know it alls who understand the laws in the DR.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Note: This is satirical:

Mike your personal experience of problems arising from someone who did not have a DL and your need to bail them out is totally irrelevant. After all, we have it on good word that someone else and their friends never had a problem. That should settle this once and for all.

Nobody should ever pay attention to know it alls who understand the laws in the DR.

Except that the friend's problems were mainly due to a medieval justice system and were only aggravated by his lack of DL/residency.

Anybody who thinks that a plasticized piece of paper is going to save them from a corrupt justice system is in for a rough awakening.

Place your bets, roll the dice.

Understanding the laws in the DR is one thing, expecting said laws to be enforced/applied, equally and every single time, only shows that one doesn't get out and about enough.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I do know that if you have conductor the casa an go there to report the accidente that both the intrant cop y insurance will report to the fisal the problem an you get your judgement right there as to who is at fault. Last time was a kid hit me when we reported it he had a temp license an no insurance (samana santa party was more important than paying his insurance). Fiscal said he was at fault no matter what due to no ins and temp license without a licensed driver with him

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I do know that if you have conductor the casa an go there to report the accidente that both the intrant cop y insurance will report to the fisal the problem an you get your judgement right there as to who is at fault. Last time was a kid hit me when we reported it he had a temp license an no insurance (samana santa party was more important than paying his insurance). Fiscal said he was at fault no matter what due to no ins and temp license without a licensed driver with him
exactly.
when you or your opponent take the right steps, i.e. a lawyer, it will all matter who has the appropriate papers or who not.
if somone hits me and he/she does not have his DL and Insurance up to date or a foreigner no residency to show,
be assured that person get's the go to jail card right away til the damage on MY car is fixed and paid for completely.
and nobody will ëven ask about "who was at fault".
and it doesn't matter if my opponent is a foreigner or dominican.