Getting Information

Speedy Dolphin

Jul 26, 2022
USA
I have been to the DR 3 times. Love Samana and Sosua area. I will be going again at the end of this year. Exploring the posibilities of moving there.
Have some questions.
Rentals ? Crime ? Cost of living ?
Are gun permits allowed ?

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
That takes care of that. Thank you.
For a single guy or a couple, you can find a decent rental around USD 500. Food (grocery store-wise) is not cheap if you want the products from home, like Hellman's mayo, peanut butter, angus meats, good cold cuts, etc. That's not saying you cant live on the cheap if you wish, rice, beans, eggs, plantains, etc.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Spend some more time here, post a few times more, then ask questions.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I have been to the DR 3 times. Love Samana and Sosua area. I will be going again at the end of this year. Exploring the posibilities of moving there.
Have some questions.
Rentals ?
The Dominican Republic is a renters paradise. Decide in advance how you want to live and how much you want to pay.
Plenty of it everywhere you go. Keep your wits about you and your head on a swivel. You have a target on your back always. Remember that and it will serve you well.
Cost of living ?
It is a much or as little as you wish to make it. Lower if you live Dominican style. More expensive if you wish to life the life of the rich, famous or privileged.
For visitors, NO.
No importation of guns or ammunition basically either to anyone.
Permits only to permanent residents and citizens and they are very difficult to get now.
What this guy said.

Do not pay any attention to what people here on DR1 write about different places.
They are WAY too opinionated and biased to base a major decision like where YOU wish to live on anything they have to day.
Schedule a house hunting trip.
But your "collective boots on the ground".
Split your time between both places.
And figure it out for yourselves.

The best advice I have ever received on DR1 was to go (insert inappropriate language of your choice here) when I asked for information on specific questions.
You know what that forced me to do.
Figure it out for myself.
And now I am way better off...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Have some questions.
Rentals ? Crime ? Cost of living ?
I don't know where you come from, but rentals and general cost of living is lower than England, where I come from. Crime? You have to take precautions as burglaries and street crimes do take place, but they do in so many places around the world. Just don't be too flash with the cash.

If you are thinking of moving here, the general advice is to rent a place within your budget and you will get your own answers to the questions. You can then decide whether to move permanently.

nothing to ad

Jan 10, 2022
puerto plata
The Dominican Republic is a renters paradise. Decide in advance how you want to live and how much you want to pay.

Plenty of it everywhere you go. Keep your wits about you and your head on a swivel. You have a target on your back always. Remember that and it will serve you well.

It is a much or as little as you wish to make it. Lower if you live Dominican style. More expensive if you wish to life the life of the rich, famous or privileged.

What this guy said.

Do not pay any attention to what people here on DR1 write about different places.
They are WAY too opinionated and biased to base a major decision like where YOU wish to live on anything they have to day.
Schedule a house hunting trip.
But your "collective boots on the ground".
Split your time between both places.
And figure it out for yourselves.

The best advice I have ever received on DR1 was to go (insert inappropriate language of your choice here) when I asked for information on specific questions.
You know what that forced me to do.
Figure it out for myself.
And now I am way better off...
the only smart thing you have said in many posts

nothing to ad

Jan 10, 2022
puerto plata
everybody has there own opinion about where to live .. just come and look around you know what you want and need nobody else knows what you want by asking questions you will get 10000 different replys

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
the only smart thing you have said in many posts
Remember even a broken clock is right at least two times a day.

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery...
Glad you have finally recognized my intelligence.
You are way ahead of many others. 🤪
everybody has there own opinion about where to live .. just come and look around you know what you want and need nobody else knows what you want by asking questions you will get 10000 different replys
Pretty much duplicates what I said.

And I would add:
I have been to the DR 3 times. Love Samana and Sosua area.
Both Sosua and Samana are receiving major infrastructure upgrades from GOV🇩🇴 aimed at the privileged.
Both are on the come up.

EASTSIDE!!