Getting items out of Caucedo port?

Tibu

Mar 19, 2002
Hi all,

we plan to import a pool window from China. The company can ship it to DR/Caucedo port.
Is there anything we shoult consider before we order it (to facilitate the import process)?
Do you need an address where you can receive the original shipping documents by normal mail?
What is the normal procedure when the item arrives?
Is it necessary or recommended to get help from an customs agency? If so, can anybody recommend an agency?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards

Tibu

Jan 9, 2004
Hi all,

we plan to import a pool window from China. The company can ship it to DR/Caucedo port.
Is there anything we shoult consider before we order it (to facilitate the import process)?
Do you need an address where you can receive the original shipping documents by normal mail?
What is the normal procedure when the item arrives?
Is it necessary or recommended to get help from an customs agency? If so, can anybody recommend an agency?

Thank you very much for your help!

Best regards

Tibu
This sounds like a mis-adventure waiting to happen.

What size is the pool window? Why not ship to the US and use one of the various freight forwarders other people here use. While it may not be cheaper, it certainly will be less hassle and confusion.

At the port, they will value the window, regardless of what you paid for it...........and then apply taxes to it.

Unless I am missing something here (size etc.), you will be better off contacting one of the freight forwarders people here have recommended, have it shipped to them in the US and then forwarded to you here.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Tibu

Mar 19, 2002
Hi,
well, it's about 12x2 ft, 200 kg and anyway above the tax free limit. What would be the difference if it is coming through the US instead of directly to the DR?
Wouldn't it then be taxed in US (and maybe in DR)?
Best regards
Tibu

Jan 9, 2004
Hi,
well, it's about 12x2 ft, 200 kg and anyway above the tax free limit. What would be the difference if it is coming through the US instead of directly to the DR?
Wouldn't it then be taxed in US (and maybe in DR)?
Best regards
Tibu
Given its size and weight, Caucedo sounds like the better option. Is it fragile............the less handling the better.

Are they shipping FOB or CIS?

Contact the port @ 809-373-7300. They can perhaps direct you towards Aduana who can then give you a quote as to taxes, etc.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Feb 7, 2007
They will ship it LCL and you will be contacted by the local partner of whoever the Chinese seller uses as a local freight forwarder. You will most likely pay port charges, clearance charges, customs warehouse, and local transportation, on top of any duties and taxes imposed by DGA. You will also need customs agent to work on your behalf and file the paperwork. You need to do this quickly, because you only have a small window to files else you will be fined by DGA. You also pay customs warehouse by day, with a week minimum, based on weight, volume and value, and the week always ends on Saturday. So if your shipment comes in on Friday, on Monday you pay next week's charge.

You do not own the merchandise until you get a B/L, nowadays it's usually done with electronic release. The shipper must do this release of merchandise to you, until then you can not retrieve the merchandise.

Some unscrupulous sellers from China can hold your merchandise hostage (do Google search for horror china buying stories) and demand additional fees via the forwarder agent local partner, before they release B/L.

Know your seller and ship FOB using YOUR Dominican forwarder, not theirs.

If you are not experienced in this and do not educate and at least take a crash course in importing before you even start the process, this is a disaster waiting to happen.

This is nothing like buying on Amazon or eBay.

If you still decide to do this, do it via local forwarder in DR, know the incoterms, and insist on B/L electronic release upon payment and shipping. I purposedly used trade jargon so you start googling and doing some research.

• Wow
Reactions: cavok

Tibu

Mar 19, 2002
Hola Rubio,

thank you for your input.
Any suggestions of a dominican forwarder or where (keywords) to find one?

Best regards
Tibu

Jan 9, 2004
They will ship it LCL and you will be contacted by the local partner of whoever the Chinese seller uses as a local freight forwarder. You will most likely pay port charges, clearance charges, customs warehouse, and local transportation, on top of any duties and taxes imposed by DGA. You will also need customs agent to work on your behalf and file the paperwork. You need to do this quickly, because you only have a small window to files else you will be fined by DGA. You also pay customs warehouse by day, with a week minimum, based on weight, volume and value, and the week always ends on Saturday. So if your shipment comes in on Friday, on Monday you pay next week's charge.

You do not own the merchandise until you get a B/L, nowadays it's usually done with electronic release. The shipper must do this release of merchandise to you, until then you can not retrieve the merchandise.

Some unscrupulous sellers from China can hold your merchandise hostage (do Google search for horror china buying stories) and demand additional fees via the forwarder agent local partner, before they release B/L.

Know your seller and ship FOB using YOUR Dominican forwarder, not theirs.

If you are not experienced in this and do not educate and at least take a crash course in importing before you even start the process, this is a disaster waiting to happen.

This is nothing like buying on Amazon or eBay.

If you still decide to do this, do it via local forwarder in DR, know the incoterms, and insist on B/L electronic release upon payment and shipping. I purposedly used trade jargon so you start googling and doing some research.
Good info Rubio, but as this person appears to not know the system or process, my thoughts are that this should be shipped CIS.

The reasons behind that are many, but suffice to say shipping FOB means sellers responsibility ends once the item gets onto the ship/plane.....likely a ship.

Further, the item is glass............likely enhancing the possibility for damage en route. If it is CIS, it is sellers (or their insurers) responsibility......if the seller is reliable..........as you allude.

If it arrives, cracked, chipped, broken (FOB) you are on your own........unless you, as buyer purchase insurance on the item.

Respectfully,
PLayacaribe2

Tibu

Mar 19, 2002
Any suggestions of a dominican forwarder?
It seems that there are some people around who know the answers, which would be more helpful than telling me what can go wrong...

• Wow
Reactions: Tamborista
Jan 9, 2004
Any suggestions of a dominican forwarder?
It seems that there are some people around who know the answers, which would be more helpful than telling me what can go wrong...
I do import autos for clients but I am not a forwarder, nor do I use a freight forwarder, so I have no suggestion(s).

As to telling you what can go wrong...............please read the second sentence of your first post........i.e., Is there anything we shoult (sic) consider before we order it (to facilitate the import process)?

Rubio and I have tried to give you general guidance in response to that request.

Absent a recent recommendation from someone who has recently imported goods of this nature (some forwarders specialize in certain types of goods (raw materials/finished goods etc,) google is your next option. Lots of freight forwarders names will appear, so do your due diligence.

Echoing what Rubio said above, this process is nothing like buying on eBay or Amazon.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2