Getting Personal Goods Through Customs

bluenose

Dec 31, 2007
Looking for imput from other peoples experiences. My personal goods are presently in port in Santo Domingo. I shipped them with a reputable moving company from Canada. My move was set up for door-to-door service with my Canadian company and that I would not have to attend customs myself.
The moving company here in Santo Domingo, who takes over from my Canadian Company is telling me that if I want to pay the taxes on my goods that I do NOT have to come to Santo Domingo for Customs, HOWEVER, if I am wanting to claim the exemption with my residency papers that I MUST come to Santo Domingo for an Interview with Customs.
Any input would be appreciated. I would like to avoid going to Santo Domingo as I am in living in Bavaro and we know the distance is far.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If I recall.... and if it is the same....to get the exemption, you need to stand on the dock with your goods.... meaning -Yes - a trip to SDQ

While there... do your fingerprints.

If you have a car in the shipment, you'll be back again.....

Soory to say.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You will have en interview at customs office in Lincoln if you want tax exemption. Regardless of tax exemption I would want to be present when they inspect the container at the port.

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
We had a similar situation to yours. Paid for door to door service, we were told we did not need to go to SD, however, this was not correct (along with many other things we were told). To claim the exemption you must physically go to SD for an interview which does include fingerprinting. The interview can not take place until after your container is opened and inspected. We were required to be at customs at 7:00 am for the interview - we did not have any options for the day or time. Plan to be there the whole day. If you do not speak Spanish I would recommend you have someone with you who can translate - most of the people we met with did not speak English. Our process took probably 5 hours, but I was told by some people they had to come back after the 1st day. The exemption does not cover everything - we were charged for some items, even though we considered all to be household. After the interview in SD, they tell you to call back 1 week later to find out how much money you must pay (goods still being held). I would say the normal overall process from date of arrival to delivery is about 4 weeks. I would definitely recommend that you be there when the container is opened. We were not since our broker was suppose to over see all - many items were missing and we had extensive damage (which was not from shipping). Also keep in mind that ever day your shipment remains in the port you are accruing storage fees. I think there are only 5 "free" days. Good luck.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Which port zoey_kat ?

Your story is similar to mine but without the tragedies and multiple dock trips.

I was only interviewed for the car importation....
I think the port and your customs broker are really important.

I was guided to Caucedo for entry... specifically told to avoid POP and Haina.

I have said before...I worked backwards...
Contacted an RD customs broker first and arranged everything from the island end... much smoother , if you ask me

zoey_kat

Feb 2, 2007
Mine was thru SD same as Bluenose. Shipper/Broker was suppose to be an "expert" in imports into the DR.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Yes we used our exemption (saved about $9000US 4 years ago) and yes we had to go to customs with our papers after the container arrived for our intervew. We got there at 8am and did not get done till almost 1PM. Was it worth it YES!

Bob K