Getting to Las Galeras

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I am heading to Las Galeras in January and would like to know the best way to get there. I'll be leaving from Santo Domingo so I guess that a bus to Samana is the best way to start, but what then? Thanks!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Are you leaving from the city or the airport? Either way, you can take a Caribe bus lines to Samana City. From there you would need to get a local bus or taxi to complete the route to Las Galeras, which is about 30-40 minutes away. If you are going to be in Las Galeras for a week I would consider renting a small car and drive from SD. It is an eary ride. Good luck and good travels.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Thanks Steve. I plan to arrive at SDQ and spend a few days in the capitol. I'll be traveling to LG from there. Any idea what the taxi from Samana to LG costs? I've been vacationing in the Dominican Republic for 15 years now but as good a driver as I think I am. I'm terrified of driving there.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
There is a bus to Las Galeras from SD so if you're staying a few days in SD this will work well for you. 3x per day 0630, 0800 and 1230. If you do choose the Caribe tours bus then you can get the guagua for 100 RD to LG.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Thanks RV! Does the bus leave from the same place as the one going to Las Terranas?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I would rent a Car ,and enjoy the drive... Once you get past the crazyness of Samana City it is like you stepped BACK IN TIME, and you dont want to miss a thing .. its that nice .. You could also stop in Samana City to look around briefly and maybe check out where to catch the Boats to Cayo Levantado ( a MUST see at least once) so you familiar with it,, but with luggage probably a good idea to leave someone in the Rental car..but its a nice little stop along the water front.
Then along the rest of the ride, enjoy the sights of coconut trees , but make sure you arrive in Las Galeras before dark, as you need to know where to go once you hit town which is very small but you can still make a wrong turn.
But be sure to Stop along the way ( there is really only ONE road , after Samana City, you literally cant get lost ) to buy some Bread or Bananas , or drink coconut water, enjoy a cold Presidente with the windows wide OPEN . You wont regret it ..
I'm getting all verklemt just thinking about it .

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I have heard great things about El Monte Azul and Playa Rincon and would not miss either one! Thanks!

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
The OP said: "I've been vacationing in the Dominican Republic for 15 years now but as good a driver as I think I am. I'm terrified of driving there."

In reply I'll say that I visited the DR for twenty years before I got up the courage to drive and that was in Samana from las Galeras and Las Terrenas. As another poster has said, it's pretty laid back up there. Unless you're dedicated to guaguas then I believe it's by far the best option.

wbr

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
So Ron, yes, same area.
Once you get to LG go to the End of the Road Caf?, great coffee and burritos but better yet, good info on the area.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011

The restaurant at El Cabito in Las Galeras is worth a visit also. It sits on the cliffs overlooking the bay. Great views (especially at sunset!) and the fresh grilled seafood hits the spot. *If your brave enough (or reckless enough) you can even jump off the cliff there (maybe a 20 meter drop) then climb back up the rope ladder.*

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
No way am I jumping off the cliff! lol. But, I will definitely try out El Cabito and give a full report when I get back home. Thanks!

Last edited:

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
So, what is the best way to get to Playa Rincon from Las Galaras? I'm booked at the Hotel Playita.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You go towards Samana and after seeing a large rock quarry on your left there will be a road coming up on your right. That road will take you to Playa Rincon. On this road there is a point where you meet an intersection, right is the way to go. If you are unsure just ask anyone which way is PR.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
You go towards Samana and after seeing a large rock quarry on your left there will be a road coming up on your right. That road will take you to Playa Rincon. On this road there is a point where you meet an intersection, right is the way to go. If you are unsure just ask anyone which way is PR.

So if I am not driving?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Make friends with a Taxi dude or check out excursions. The dive shop across from End of the Road Caf? can be a good source of info, ask for Diane.