Global Phones in the DR

CandaceL87

Mar 24, 2011
How do they work?? I have been living in the DR for the past 2 months and I'm just now seriously considering getting a cell phone. I still have my Sprint service from the states. With all the talk about Sprint getting the iPhone 4S and it POSSIBLY having global phone capability, I wanted to know how this global phone stuff really works??

Is it worth it, to keep a sprint service? Or should I just get the phone and put it on a Claro plan??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Don't even think of using a US based cell phone. Take any phone you want/have to Claro [or any other DR carrier] and get a local plan. They charge the same for local and international calls in most cases.

AE

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Don't even think of using a US based cell phone. Take any phone you want/have to Claro [or any other DR carrier] and get a local plan. They charge the same for local and international calls in most cases.

AE

Agree with AlterEgo! I have a pay-as-you-go with Orange and calls to US and Canada are the same cost as local. If you decide to go with the non-commitment pay-as-you-go stuff, it's dead easy to get re-charge cards in most colmados, etc...no fussy stuff, etc! I was with a Cdn company (Rogers) back home, only to face a $300. bill one time for having my phone ON for a short time in another country. Go local and it's worth it :)

CandaceL87

Mar 24, 2011
Thanks!! I'm gonna go that route... just buy the phone and then switch it to Orange or Claro :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You can buy a cheap cell phone all hooked up with some minutes already on it for about $15 US. Then you can add more minutes when you need them.