Gold Panning in the Dominican Republic

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
in dem dere hills....
once upon a time in the middle 80's . a u.s. guy came here and you know the rest. Met a girl and was not leaving without her. BEING A YOUNG GUY FROM THE WESTERN STATES he knew how to work a river and they did work together.
Of course there were two or three of them working that section of river and he brought in to my friends shop a bag every two months. He did not really handle river gold so , for a small fee he would take it to another gold dealer.
Of course the story has a happy ending....
they got on a plane together.

sounds to me like you have read the history here on dr1 and have copied someone else's post....i could be wrong but i doubt it....if i am please forgive me....u might have added a little here and there subtracted a little , but...i smell something....:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
sounds to me like you have read the history here on dr1 and have copied someone else's post....i could be wrong but i doubt it....if i am please forgive me....u might have added a little here and there subtracted a little , but...i smell something....:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

The only thing I can smell is booze on your breath.

It's a 5 year old post.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

The only thing I can smell is booze on your breath.

It's a 5 year old post.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Can we get back on the Gold Panning Prospecting Track?
Has anyone seen a dredge or some people running a sluice?

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Can we get back on Gold Panning Prospecting track?

Has anyone seen a dredge or a sluice on a river in DR?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I have not. But are you talking a full sized dredge, trucked in and permanently set up? I wouldn't attempt it. You'd probably get shut down.

I would do a backpack sledge and hike up into the hills.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
In regards to panning, people are doing it in the campos in santiago. Have been for years, but you aint gonna make real money. Maybe enough to get by in the DR campo. my old timers used to share stories of panning in streams around the cibao regions. Done more as a hobby , during the weekends , or down time of farming the fields.
Just realize , a foreigner wandering around in thw campo for gold would be an instant target .

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I figured that "Instant Target" but I will try. I never figured to get rich. Just a hobby and enjoy the hunt. I saw the links on Jarabacoa gold. I think that fellow Tomalson or something like that was from Leeds SD in the US. He had got involved in something in SD and The DR he thought would be a safe haven. FBI extradited him back to SD.
I will try some test panning and get out the MD 20. I would like to find a nice spot that is reasonably productive. Not annoying anyone in a somewhat pretty part of the river. If anyone is interested PM me and we can share thoughts perhaps team up one day.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
A small dredge would be nice I thing in the rio. I have seen some very portable units. Just the motor and fuel is truly the lionshare of the weight. Some areas where you can work undisturbed are difficult to access. Can't haul too much there. And if you really want to work it probably better to camp out for a day or two. I will have much more to report next month as I plan to give it a shot.

Last edited:

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Oh I forgot if interested I put some prospecting small vids on my You Tube Channel. Look for JoeMoe Moe
Bazooka Sluice in DR

Marcion

*** Sin Bin ***
Nov 22, 2014
Be careful out in the bush.

If anyone gets nosey have a good story...you're with a NGO doing water samples or some BS. Pull out a Bible and talk loud. People disappear for very little money out there.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Be careful out in the bush.

If anyone gets nosey have a good story...you're with a NGO doing water samples or some BS. Pull out a Bible and talk loud. People disappear for very little money out there.

Stupid advice, spoken by someone with no clue.......

I have been in the bush prospecting all over this island and for the most part its quite safe, just be careful and don't let anyone know if you do find anything.....
I have met a lot of Dominicans panning for gold and have heard some good stories and at no time have ever felt uncomfortable or unsafe.....

My thoughts not yours....

DomAm

May 11, 2002
I spent an afternoon last year gold panning in a small river in San Cristobal, using a 4ft sluice. Brought about 3lbs of concentrate back to the states for analysis and came up empty. I was afraid that customs in Miami would confiscate and was prepared to tell them that it was souvenir beach sand :). I plan to do it again but farther and higher upstream where locals say that some gold has been found.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I spent an afternoon last year gold panning in a small river in San Cristobal, using a 4ft sluice. Brought about 3lbs of concentrate back to the states for analysis and came up empty. I was afraid that customs in Miami would confiscate and was prepared to tell them that it was souvenir beach sand :). I plan to do it again but farther and higher upstream where locals say that some gold has been found.

Hey bud don't waste your time bringing back concentrates. Pan it out to get your gold. If its real fine gold, blue bowl or spiral wheel it with Jet Dry. I think the only thing I would pay for analysis would be ore samples. I can say for certain I have samples that had Gold, Silver and Copper in it. Best I had 1oz silver per ton ore. I had gold in one strong head ore with gold in sulfides. I gave up on hard rock. With silver at 16USD per oz. moving 1 ton in DR mountains to grinder and float table, seemed unreasonable.
Bazookas are great for large sampling. You can run anything over it and get concentrates to pan fast. It's like the Gold Hog Pan. Totally different design but accomplishes the same thing. I would only run a sluice if I know there is gold in that area. Say on a day you are going deep to bedrock in a gold spot.

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
river mao

in 1980, i panned for gold with a hand carved wood "pan" in Moncion when I was a peace corps volunteer there
I had a small bit of gold I found put into clear lucite and still have it on my desk.
There were 2 strange Americans living in Moncion then and looking for gold.
A rumor existed that Trujillo had a secret mine a bit lower in the River Mao area by an area nicknamed Bulla.
No panning now as the river has been damed.

DomAm

May 11, 2002
Hey bud don't waste your time bringing back concentrates. Pan it out to get your gold. If its real fine gold, blue bowl or spiral wheel it with Jet Dry. I think the only thing I would pay for analysis would be ore samples. I can say for certain I have samples that had Gold, Silver and Copper in it. Best I had 1oz silver per ton ore. I had gold in one strong head ore with gold in sulfides. I gave up on hard rock. With silver at 16USD per oz. moving 1 ton in DR mountains to grinder and float table, seemed unreasonable.
Bazookas are great for large sampling. You can run anything over it and get concentrates to pan fast. It's like the Gold Hog Pan. Totally different design but accomplishes the same thing. I would only run a sluice if I know there is gold in that area. Say on a day you are going deep to bedrock in a gold spot.

...should have said I was gold prospecting instead of panning. My stay in DR was running out and didn't have time to pan all the concentrate. I still have some there that I've forgotten to pan!

DomAm

May 11, 2002

...should have said I was gold prospecting instead of panning. My stay in DR was running out and I didn't have time to pan the concentrate. I still have some there that I've forgotten to pan!