Good Experience With Temporary Residency Renewal

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I just renewed my Temporary Residency and this year there were a few changes, as usual. I uploaded the documents as before and when I checked on the Migration website a few days later it said the documents were accepted and requested payment, which I did, and printed off the receipt, which they ask you to take to the Immigration office when you go. A day or two later I checked the site again and this time it showed a date and time for my appointment, which I could accept or decline. I accepted so I don't know what happens if you decline - presumably another appointment is offered. It seems that they don't send you an email any more - the onus is on you to check the site, although after accepting I did receive an automated phone call asking me to accept again, which I did, and the robot confirmed I had already done so.

I was pleased that my appointment was at 1p.m., which gave me plenty of time to drive down from Cabarete and have some lunch before going into the office. I went in a little early - about 12.30 and would you believe I was out of there again with my new Residency card in my hand half an hour later. Those of you who have renewed in the last few years will remember waiting for hours just to make the payment.

The next stage, at the JCE office, was a little worse than before, and I had to wait in line for about an hour to have the photo and fingerprints taken for the cedula. I believe this is because there are many more Haitians applying for cedulas after the Regularization process a couple of years ago.

However, overall, I was pleased with the efficiency of the service - something I never thought I would say about Residency renewal.

Next year it's my first Permanent Residency, so we'll see if it's equally efficient.
Can you do me a favor and send a link to the dom. office for the renewal tks

Reactions: Billp16

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I assume that DGM is not working at the moment but you maybe able to download your documents and wait for DGM start working.

As for the medical, once all your documents are reviewed and accepted you will see on the web site that if you wish to pay online, then once paid the web site will instruct you where to go for the medical. You have 3 days to go for the medical.Remember to bring a copy of this notice and the website (printout) to the medical. It was like this for me, if you do not pay online surly the website will instruct you how to proceed. (Paying online at this point makes it faster when you pick up your card, I used local credit card)

In short you must check on the website frequently for the next step. ( all surprise and not explain ahead of time)

good luck,especially at this time

XTraveller
I have american credit card and it will not work for paying online. I guess I have to go to immigration office and pay there. So after that i will get an appointment for the medical exam? then I will have 3 days to complete the medical exam, including the day of the payment?
thanks in advance

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have american credit card and it will not work for paying online. I guess I have to go to immigration office and pay there. So after that i will get an appointment for the medical exam? then I will have 3 days to complete the medical exam, including the day of the payment?
thanks in advance
I had the same problem trying to pay for the carta de buena conducta online. Had to go to Banreservas today and get it. i'm thinking it's not going to work on the DGM site either. Never saw posted that it had to be a Dominican credit card.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
thanks in advance

You say"I have american credit card and it will not work for paying online" What card is it Visa, Master Card, American Express???
Have you used this card in the DR before, Restaurant, Groceries ECT? Maybe for online purchases from DR you have to advice you Credit card supplier first?

Once the DGM system ask you If you want to pay, it should instruct you how to proceed? Let us know how to proceed if you do not pay online. I doubt you can just show up at DGM and pay ! Also maybe you can pay online with local Bank debit card?

I would advice all who live here to try and get Bank account, Debit card and Credit card I know its a painful and complicated and stupid process but once obtain makes things like DGM, Police Paper, phone and internet all easier.
I have Bank popular, Very difficult, Its like they have too many customers and they do not want more????.......but online system very good.

Xtraveller

Reactions: etolw

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Maybe a DR credit card would work, but I have a debit card with two banks here. The site won't let you select debit card.

• Haha

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
That was a new one for me, funny. No debit cards allowed...We only accept offering (not) so free credit

Never trusted Dominican Today much more than Google translate, but here is what they wrote

After receiving the documents online, they will be verified and then the system will issue the user a payment notice, which must be done with a credit or debit card.”

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
When you get to payment type, there is a drop down menu that offers either credit card or debit card, but when I clicked on debit, a red circle with a diagonal line appeared. On the main page it says you can pay by credit card. No mention of debit card nor that it must be a Dominican credit card.

• Haha

Billp16

Jul 20, 2018
When you get to payment type, there is a drop down menu that offers either credit card or debit card, but when I clicked on debit, a red circle with a diagonal line appeared. On the main page it says you can pay by credit card. No mention of debit card nor that it must be a Dominican credit card.

It accepted my Canadian credit card with no issue

Billp16

Jul 20, 2018
Sorry to bother you. I found the website for temp residence renewal. I set up an acct. I pushed the button on the website and they said they will contact me I guess. I don't know where to down load the docs on the list.. Will they contact me first? tks

Sign in - go to List of Applications - Pick a location at the top of the page - choose renewal of temporary residence - upload your documents

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
so this is how it went for me:
I am a permanent resident since 1999. I went to the immigration website, made an account. put in all the required information for the permanent renewal application. I was asked to pay for "no antecedente penal" or whatever they call it, basically its a police report, stating, I am all clean. I was not allowed to pay with an american credit card and options were only Dominican bank cards. So i went to banreservas and paid in cash. Now it was a waiting game for me. all documents were sent in digitally through web application on April 24th, 2020 and I finally i saw my application advance to the next stage on May 29th, payment for the residency (16,500 pesos, including fees for medical exam). basically it asks for a method of payment, cash in immigration office or credit card payment on the webpage. i chose immigration office because i assumed they would prefer dominican credit card, which i do not have. So i chose cash payment in person. I was given a form to print which will allow me to pay in cash. Then yesterday, June the 1st, i got a computerized call from immigration office to set an appointment. basically they gave me a date and time for the next day (june 2nd) and asked me to press 1 if i agree to that date. I pressed one and i got a text message with a code , confirming I got the appointment for 1pm. today, I went to immigration office and I was in and out in 20 minutes. not many people there. I paid 16,500 pesos and I was given 3 days to get my medical exam done at an approved place. no exact time was given, so i assume i would just go there and wait for my turn. then I will get a message on immigration webpage when my card will be given to me. i guess I will go to the office and get my picture taken and get my card. easy as that. the card will be good for 4 years.
oh, the list of documents asks for a 2x2 inch passport sized picture. do not take it. I was not asked for a photo. i took along a bunch of photos and he said, i don't need to give him any as they will take my picture when the card will be issued.

Reactions: bob saunders

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
so this is how it went for me:
I am a permanent resident since 1999. I went to the immigration website, made an account. put in all the required information for the permanent renewal application. I was asked to pay for "no antecedente penal" or whatever they call it, basically its a police report, stating, I am all clean. I was not allowed to pay with an american credit card and options were only Dominican bank cards. So i went to banreservas and paid in cash. Now it was a waiting game for me. all documents were sent in digitally through web application on April 24th, 2020 and I finally i saw my application advance to the next stage on May 29th, payment for the residency (16,500 pesos, including fees for medical exam). basically it asks for a method of payment, cash in immigration office or credit card payment on the webpage. i chose immigration office because i assumed they would prefer dominican credit card, which i do not have. So i chose cash payment in person. I was given a form to print which will allow me to pay in cash. Then yesterday, June the 1st, i got a computerized call from immigration office to set an appointment. basically they gave me a date and time for the next day (june 2nd) and asked me to press 1 if i agree to that date. I pressed one and i got a text message with a code , confirming I got the appointment for 1pm. today, I went to immigration office and I was in and out in 20 minutes. not many people there. I paid 16,500 pesos and I was given 3 days to get my medical exam done at an approved place. no exact time was given, so i assume i would just go there and wait for my turn. then I will get a message on immigration webpage when my card will be given to me. i guess I will go to the office and get my picture taken and get my card. easy as that. the card will be good for 4 years.
oh, the list of documents asks for a 2x2 inch passport sized picture. do not take it. I was not asked for a photo. i took along a bunch of photos and he said, i don't need to give him any as they will take my picture when the card will be issued.
That is the way it went for me last year, except I paid online so 1 less trip to DGM. Also same for me brought pictures and was told not needed. I also had made copies of a lot of extra documents (example house title) said not needed. If I remember well I think they only took copies of passport and cedula. The process is a lot easier, just missing good directions.

If not too late don't forget to bring receipt of payment to medical. (Bring all you have just in case). Also if I remember the medical will stamp a document to return to DGM.

Xtraveller

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Medical exam: in and out less than 30 minutes total. I was the only one there. Took urine sample with bathroom door open. Then blood sample was taken and then lastly, chest x ray was taken. They asked for the medical receipt i got from immigration office to prove i paid 4500 pesos and asked me to show my passport and photocopy of passport main page.
Now i will keep checking the immigration webpage to see when my card will be ready to be issued to me.
I guess the last step will be a trip to junta central to get my new cedula.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
so can anyone tell how how the process associated with the renewal of cedula will go about? it used to be free years ago, do we have to pay separately for it now? will they give me a date to go the the extranjero junta central office or do i have to make one through internet? any forms to fill out? fees?
thanks in advance

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
so can anyone tell how how the process associated with the renewal of cedula will go about? it used to be free years ago, do we have to pay separately for it now? will they give me a date to go the the extranjero junta central office or do i have to make one through internet? any forms to fill out? fees?
thanks in advance
Assuming you are asking about a cedula for a Resident, normally you go to the cedula office immediately after receiving your Residency card, or the next day if you're too late for some reason. There is a fee to pay and it depends on the type of Residency. They accept credit cards. You don't have to fill out forms, they just confirm the details that they have for you. That's how it has worked for me, anyway.