Good news for foreign retirees in DR: You are entitled to be vaccinated here

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Still swamped this AM.....
So I went to the country Loma Alta

Done in 25-30 minutes.....they did my paperwork......10 -12 minutes sit/wait time after incl in that 25 min
Sinovac...... 30 day 2nd shot booked

Easy peasy......
Get out of town to avoid the lines
Where is Loma Alta? I can't find it on Google Maps. I'm thinking it might be easier to drive there from Cabarete rather than go to Sosua or Puerto Plata. Thanks.

beachcomber

Oct 15, 2003
I might go for a hike down to Guananico and see what the deal is.

I am in the last of last tiers, and I still haven't made my mind up on whether I want to get vaccinated or not, but I guess it can't hurt to go for information.
Highlights.... bbc
China's coronavirus vaccines On paper, one of Sinovac's main advantages is that it can be stored in a standard refrigerator at 2-8 degrees Celsius, like the Oxford vaccine, which is made from a genetically engineered virus that causes the common cold in chimpanzees.

Moderna's vaccine needs to be stored at -20C and Pfizer's vaccine at -70C.

It means that both Sinovac and the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine are a lot more useful to developing countries which might not be able to store large amounts of vaccine at such low temperatures. bbc.

Sinopharm announced on 30 December that phase three trials of the vaccine showed that it was 79% effective - lower than that of Pfizer and Moderna.

However, the United Arab Emirates, which approved a Sinopharm vaccine earlier this month, said the vaccine was 86% effective, according to interim results of its phase three trial.
Analysts point to China's bid to win the vaccine diplomacy race, which has also reportedly seen China's President Xi Jinping pledge to set aside $2bn for the African continent, while also offering Latin American and Caribbean countries a $1bn loan to buy vaccines. It's unclear what the terms of such a deal might be.
It's not clear how much it might cost, but earlier this year, a BBC team in the Chinese city of Yiwu saw that nurses were administering the injections for a fee of around 400 yuan ($60; £45).Bio Farma, a state-owned firm in Indonesia said it would cost around 200,000 rupiah ($13.60; £10) locally.

That is still far higher than the Oxford vaccine, which costs $4 a dose, but lower than Moderna's at $33 per dose.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Is there a list of .edications that if taken would not qualify for the vaccine. I heard scuttlebutt about that today.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Our housekeeper's mother has a lot of medication
Her doctor won't authorize the vaccine for her

Ask your doctor Russell if you're a candidate

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
If you are American , you can go to Puerto Rico and get the Johnson and johnson Jab... they have it now, and for any of you who are like me and had allergic reactions...the J+J is your only option... and you only need one jab...I am going after the first rush settles down.........

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Is there a list of .edications that if taken would not qualify for the vaccine. I heard scuttlebutt about that today.
When I had my first vaccination (in the US), the one thing that was specifically mentioned was prednisone/steroids.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Waiting longer than two weeks is discussed here between injections of Sinovac:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Another Stella reference. Turkey. I'm wondering when Iraq will chime in.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Once vaccinated what proof to you have that you got it? This will become important once flying is up again to avoid any quarantine and to be allowed onboard.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You get a vaccination certificate......like baby's get.... or your dog/cat
Date and vaccine type documented.

Currently, JetBlue told me that they still require a Neg test to board
Rules haven't changed yet - they said

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
You get a vaccination certificate......like baby's get.... or your dog/cat
Date and vaccine type documented.

Currently, JetBlue told me that they still require a Neg test to board
Rules haven't changed yet - they said
They give you the certificate at the time of the vaccination or a later date?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
They give you the certificate at the time of the vaccination or a later date?
The CDC provided card. Has name, DOB, dates,
B7B903C2-396A-4F9A-98E6-B4CF9AF7B868.jpeg
vaccine you received and the lot number.