Good news for foreign retirees in DR: You are entitled to be vaccinated here

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Vacunacion-envejeciente-Nuria.jpg

Foreigners with legal residence in the Dominican Republic have the same right to be vaccinated here as Dominican citizens, says Dr. José Natalio Redondo, president of the Tourism Cluster of Puerto Plata. Dr. Redondo also presides the Grupo Rescue that is affiliated to major private hospitals in Puerto Plata, La Romana and Punta Cana.

Dr. Redondo says those interested in the Covid-19 vaccines and that meet the vaccination phase requirements need only to go to the nearest vaccination center when the is in effect. An up-to-date cedula and residence card is required. Vaccinations have started with the general public that is 70+ of age.

For those living in Puerto Plata, the place to go is the Centro Sanitario Francisco González Hardy that is behind the Firemen Station on the Malecón. Vaccinations are 9am to 4pm. These are already happening in an organized matter. They began on...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
This is very good news.

Thanks, Dolores, for checking on this.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The report that the procedure can take up to three hours from the time you enter the center caught my eye. I wonder how much of that is wait time to get your vaccination and mandated wait to see if you have a reaction. It doesn't 3 hours to stick a needle in your arm and press the plunger.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The report that the procedure can take up to three hours from the time you enter the center caught my eye. I wonder how much of that is wait time to get your vaccination and mandated wait to see if you have a reaction. It doesn't 3 hours to stick a needle in your arm and press the plunger.
When we went (USA), we were on line about 40 minutes, then got to sit with person doing registration, filling out paperwork, signing things, took another 15-20 minutes. Gave us the blank vaccine card. Then we had to go sit and wait for nurse to come out. Finally went back, one person filled out the card (vaccine brand, lot number, date and time), and only then did we get the shot. Then off to another room where we had to sit for 15 minutes to make sure there was no reaction. It all took a couple of hours.

Reactions: Ken

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This is very good news.

Thanks, Dolores, for checking on this.
They just announced the importation 768,000 doses of the Chinese made vaccine last week.
They have to start giving them to someone :ROFLMAO:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think I will wait until the J&J vaccine is available, and then go home for a shot.
J&J Could be as early as tomorrow for the East Coast of the USA. I had similar thoughts when a friend called me today thinking it was Pfizer being administered in Puerto Plata and we were going until it turned out to be Chinese. Full Stop.

He is going to the US next week and will return and go back again if he is given a two dose vaccination type. Choosing which vaccine you get no matter the country might be problematic. I am considering the options.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They just announced the importation 768,000 doses of the Chinese made vaccine last week.
They have to start giving them to someone :ROFLMAO:

Oh they are. I know two people who got the Chinese vaccine today in Puerto Plata.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Because of my age, I would like to get a vaccine as soon as possible no matter what it is, even if the Chinese. it will provide some protection and reduce the chances of a serious case if I should get the virus. If nothing else, it will give me a little more confidence to fly to the US for a visit this spring or early summer where I can get a more effective vaccine.

The experts say it doesn't harm you to get another vaccine later if the first was not one of the most effective. However, if you start with 2 shots of Pfizer or Moderna they say you should stay with them. ,

Reactions: bob saunders

Hoosier

Jan 15, 2018
I got the notification today that I am getting my vaccination on March 9 at the VA hospital in Indianapolis. The problem is it is a two-shot (moderna) vaccine. I fly to Puerto Plata on 31 March. I can't change the date nor my Airbnb which might become my regular residence. Oh well, one shot is better than none.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
J&J Could be as early as tomorrow for the East Coast of the USA. I had similar thoughts when a friend called me today thinking it was Pfizer being administered in Puerto Plata and we were going until it turned out to be Chinese. Full Stop.

He is going to the US next week and will return and go back again if he is given a two dose vaccination type. Choosing which vaccine you get no matter the country might be problematic. I am considering the options.
Going to the US for the shots is without a doubt the best option if at all possible. DR gub plays too many games.
I did what your friend did. With28 days in-between shots with Moderna it was doable. Bite the bullet and get it done with a vaccine that has now been given to millions

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Both the Chinese & AZ shots are being given....ask which one in your area
The Chinese are responsible for this virus and anyone who is dumb enough to trust them going forward is a fool. Why the Dominican Government has decided to guinea pig with these people's lives is the question all of you should be asking. Let me guess, you and your family aren't going to take the one made in China but you're ok with it being given to hundreds of thousands of Dominicans?

You had the same attitude when it came to the curfew because ALL of your income comes in from abroad so to hell with the Dominicans who are suffereing.
Am I right or am I right?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The Chinese are responsible for this virus and anyone who is dumb enough to trust them going forward is a fool. Why the Dominican Government has decided to guinea pig with these people's lives is the question all of you should be asking. Let me guess, you and your family aren't going to take the one made in China but you're ok with it being given to hundreds of thousands of Dominicans?
Just like the curfew because ALL of your income comes in from abroad.
Am I right or am I right?
Quite a few countries have used this vaccine, Turkey and the UAE have found it works well.

Reactions: beachcomber