Good PN, Bad CESTUR?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i saw it yesterday and laughed so bad. good for german lady who was not robbed and safely delivered home.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Very interesting stories. Good for the 2 PN officers for doing the right thing. Most stories about the PN are in the opposite direction. My wife and I missed the purse snatch by about 5 minutes as we were by that location just before it happened. I am glad he was caught and the money recovered but I think this german woman needs a close friend to sit down and have a talk with her before she gets hurt. A black eye for the CESTUR.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I only have good stories to tell about PN actually. I was helped out by them a few years ago in Cabarete when I got really f**** up and couldn't remember where the hotel I was staying at was. They let me park at the station and drove me to my hotel, picked me up at 10AM and took me back to my car to pick it up.

I am stopped by them at least once a month in Santiago and it's just a friendly hello and I'm on my way.. I have always had a hard time understanding why people always had so many issues with them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i love PN and amet in POP, no shame. many of the officers know me from the pharmacy, some know me form costambar, others know me because of some family connections. always super nice and polite.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Is this the german lady i have seen several times at Cabarete beach, shouting at none for hours at a time?
I tried to engage her in conversation once to see if she needed help but just couldn't get through.

Anyone know her story and whether she is getting assistance of any kind?

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
There are many of these type of stories but it is easier to denigrate and more difficult to praise this class of Dominican infrastructure. It is the same in most countries. The police are despised until you need them.
Reminds me of a gun hating atheist liberal who is alone at home with 2 ladrones breaking in. He dials 911 and asks for armed men to come and save him and then prays to god they get there in time.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I had 3 problems with the police in DR in the past 14 years - both about 8 years ago:

- PN on the mountain, had to pay a bribe for renting a car and not driving it with the papers in it. I offered the $$, it was that or lose my car

- Loaned a friend my car, he got pulled over for not having papers, he spent the night in jail, got my car back -- the PN's were having a huge argument in the parking lot and I had another key --- one of my Dominican friends drove it out of the lot and right past them

- Amet in Sosua for driving a pasola without a helmut, almost took the pasola, I cried, they changed their mind, didn't have to pay anything

That's it. I have never been robbed, assaulted or really had anything bad happen to me (knock on wood) in my time spent in DR. I recognize most of the police on the street - I find them very nice all the time, in fact most of them are big flirts. I guess everyone has different experiences but I thought I would post to at least give credit where credit is due..

Aug 6, 2006
I know of no "liberal", gun hating or not, that does not approve of the police being armed. Everyone, atheist or godly, liberal or conservative, believes that the police properly have the duty to protect the citizens from robbery and bodily harm. That is not any sort of political issue.

I have had no bad experiences with the PN or the Tourist Police in the DR. I have asked them for directions on occasion and they have been helpful and professional. We have both helpful police and a few real dicks as traffic cops here in Miami.