good stuff happens

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I saw an ad (Japan, I think) where they are using machines where people can deposit plastic bottles, then give a credit towards transportation. That would work if you already have a recycling system in place, as it's just an alternative collection method.

This I found interesting though. Perhaps when they become available DR1'ers can buy the first one for the DR? I imagine the economics of it aren't going to put it at a home level any time soon, but maybe businesses? Oh, and as I recall the Japanese government has very friendly relations with the DR, and donates substantial amounts of money for projects. (Machine uses bottles as well as bags.)

Japanese Inventor Turns Plastic Bags into Oil | Earth911.com

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
DR Women "Recycle"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They "Re Purpose" plastic bags from the Colmado, into shower caps, and Rain Hats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Sep 4, 2012
gee, why all this negativity? ;)

JD is correct, recycling happens in DR on daily basis and massive operations are involved. machines used in recycling process can be very costly too yet companies invest in them. if you have ever seen a rubbish truck you will know what i mean: there are huge bags of goodies like plastic, metal and glass piled on the top and to the side.

the problem is, indeed, that there is no recycling on a personal level. this is why this action of notebooks for rubbish is so important. dominicans need to know there is money to be made of that stuff, that it's worth something. it would be great to see recycling points in every city where one could drop plastic or cardboard/paper at a small fee. even it it would be 1 peso per pound. the quantity of trash is so huge people could make a living out of that. granted, it would be very little money but at least it would be honest money. with the current level of unemployment it would still help...

my dad, back home, is a pensioner. he's one of those old dudes who cannot sit still. so to fill his day he does dumpster diving. every morning he leaves home with his bicycle and checks several rubbish bins, collecting cans and other metals he can find. once every week he takes it to the metalera and sells it. he gets little money but it's enough to buy some beer and plants for my parent's garden. now, if dominicans could be the same way...

I'll mention it again, there isn't enough empowering from the government or the business side to make this a personal quest. In other words, there aren't many incentives to get the populace to change their mind on their own for the good cause that recycling is.

In order to get Dominicans triggered the government and business most emphasize the earning power $$$$ behind recycling and I guarantee the story at the end will be different.

If Dominicans see there is profit to be made by recycling, they likely would do it because of it at at the very least.

This is a country driven by needs not by causes.

May 12, 2005
The lack of cleanliness of the streets is one of my biggest pet peeves. At one time the streets were spotless and kept that way. No good reason for all that garbage to be on the streets and sidewalks.

Sep 4, 2012
Give the populace an incentive to do so and you'll see the surge, notice I said incentive and no education. This country is driving by need and greed. The education may come later.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the incentive, in a way, is already here. there are places that buy glass, metal and plastic. the problem is the wages of work are low while the wages of sin are high. not many want to work all month long for 200 dollars if they can steal more within a minute or suck off more within whatever time the client will last.

Sep 4, 2012
Those are not incentives rather haggles and add more turbulence to an already brewed storm. The incentives have to start from the top. The places that buy and re-sell the recycled items are middle sources (exploitation at its best) hence the poor reaction from the poor Dominican to react to it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
BS. no one is exploiting anyone. those "middle sources" make very little and only survive by dealing with large volume. the more you process the more you earn, but the margin is very low. no large company has time and resources to deal directly with individuals, it is more profitable to have a middle man. nowhere in the world does a recycling company buy directly from individual. we are talking about tons of stuff moved on a daily basis, who on earth can pay per kilo/bottle/can?

look for example at coca cola. they recycle glass bottles. but they do not buy from individuals, even thou you can buy just one crate of stuff at a local distribution centre. but if you show up there with 10 bottles no one will buy them from you. coca cola buys directly from botelleros and pays per transport, monthly, weekly, whatever the deal is. cheque or transfer. opening a place where individuals could drop their bottles for pennies is counterproductive.

Sep 4, 2012
DV8 if it is a clear cut and profitable sweet deal as you expressed, go ahead and start picking up plastic and bottles, go to the middle man and make a fortune. :bored:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
did you read my posts at all? i said it's a whole day of work, 6 days a week and one may make 10k pesos a month. this is better than nothing and this is honest money. no where did i say it's going to make anyone a millionaire. granted, few good middle men can make a lot of money but they need to move lots of goods every day and have lots of cash available to pay the individuals and afford to wait until they are paid back by their clients. why are you so bent on proving me wrong?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2012
10K per month...lol. Sure it will, come and snap to reality. Wouldn't you thing if that was the case more people will be involved? Me thinks, yes.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i repeat it one last time: you can make this 10k a month by working whole month long, digging in the trash, walking around in a scorching heat, searching the beaches and streets. its a hard and stinky job. not many are willing to do it. this is why not many do. because why bother?

May 12, 2005
i repeat it one last time: you can make this 10k a month by working whole month long, digging in the trash, walking around in a scorching heat, searching the beaches and streets. its a hard and stinky job. not many are willing to do it. this is why not many do. because why bother?

A lot of people are lazy and lack a work ethic. If it came down to collect bottles or not eat, I'd be digging through dumpsters everywhere.