Got a strange phone call "we won RD$100'000"... REALLY? New Domi-Nigerian Scam?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Got a strange phone call "we won RD$100'000"... REALLY? New Domi-Nigerian Scam?

We just got a phone call from 829-830-1638

The caller identifies himself as from "Do?a Gallina", a raffle organized by "Programa De Cavada".

Our phone number has been selected to win RD$100'000.oo

We are only to do the 5 following things:

1) keep the line open! (btw. he's on the line now over 30min!).
2) go to the nearest super market and buy 3 Do?a Gallina Sopitas, a Risazon and tell him the bar codes (like I read bar codes!).
3) buy 2 RD$100.oo Orange recargas at a BANCA
4) he will then give us a code to charge them to a BanReserva number (like BanReserva uses pre-paid cell phones)
5) and then we would be invited to go to BanReserva with our Cedula and get our RD$100'000.oo

Besides that they probably just get the RD$200 "recargas", I wonder what else the scam could be?

OH! And by the way... just found this on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mBb30OPCUw

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
What amazes me, we got the Tiguere waiting on the strip for over an hour, and he's calling from an 829 numbers, a cell phone.
My wife got all excited, I think they must create LINES at the phone recarga booths!

Oh well! ... :D J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
What amazes me, we got the Tiguere waiting on the strip for over an hour, and he's calling from an 829 numbers, a cell phone.
My wife got all excited, I think they must create LINES at the phone recarga booths!

Oh well! ... :D J-D.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Got the same phone call 2 weeks back....... on my wife's phone. Now I call her do?a gallina.:D
I ask the guy who he is..... he says licenciado whatever. I told him it was real sad to be a licenciado and have to work in a call center........

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Oh and I actually got a texto/message through claro adverts for the same thing.
Now we know where they get the numbers.......

Aug 6, 2006
Con gusto te pago el martes por una hamburguesa hoy.

I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.

-------Guimpi, el amigo de Popeye

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I had something similar (A SCAM) happen a few months ago. I was in a gua gua when someone(TRYING TO SCAM) called my cell claiming they were from Orange and I had won a 5,000 peso credit in a drawing. All I needed to do was email him some basic information. I just said "no thanks, don't bother me again".

The gua gua driver explained to me several people were running scams around the island. I think it had something to do with people needing to register their sim cards/ chips with service providers while wanting to keep them anonymous and active.

If the DR ever starts letting those trashy scamming pieces of sh*t from west Africa come in and set up shop, I'm leaving.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
If the DR ever starts letting those trashy scamming pieces of sh*t from west Africa come in and set up shop, I'm leaving.

Methinks that horse is long out of the barn. They don't have to actually *come* here, just get someone to fall for the trick and send the money via WU or Xoom.

Martina Oslov

Jan 6, 2015
I felt obliged to post because I got a call like that, too. It was from an 866-288-2780 phone number. Caller said I got picked in a drawing and I needed to pay the processing fee to claim the prize. Lol! I knew right away that he was bluffing. But I'm concerned that others might fall victim so please be warned. Remain vigilant. If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This person is FULLof $HIT, I may add!

No complaints filed for 829-830-1638. Be the first to leave a comment/complaint about the telephone number using the form below.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The caller identifies themselves as employees of Dona Gallina, a Dominican company.

They say its a raffle from Roberto Cavada's TV program (A Dominican program)

They also tell you to go to Banreservas, a Dominican Bank.

That should be Dominican enough.

OMG, I was quoting, and referring to Martina's post about a website referencing 1-866 numbers in the USA.
I am sorry I ever posted on this thread, really, I am.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Oh, c'mon. What else would you be doing if you weren't here letting us give you a hard time?? :cheeky:

In a few weeks, we'll probably get the first of the "Beloved dearheart of God, I am blahblahblah, the sole daughter and heir of Mr. blahblahblah, the now-deceased Minister of Treasury of Zamunda...." emails.