Government announces measures to combat the sale of adulterated and forged alcoholic beverages

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Alcohol-adulterado-La-Verdad-Noticias-1024x512.jpg

The Ministry of Industry & Commerce announced new measures to attack the sale of adulterated alcoholic beverages and forged alcoholic beverages in the country. So far this year, 127 persons have died from adulterated alcohol. Hundreds are seriously ill. The first quarter total compares to 247 persons who died from adulterated alcohol in the first quarter of last year.

Industry & Commerce Minister Víctor (Ito) Bisonó spoke at the press conference at the Presidential Palace on Wednesday, 28 April 2021. Vice President Raquel Peña presided the press conference.

Bisonó said the government is enacting clear and forceful actions coordinated from the highest levels of government to attack the problem.

He said since February 2021, the Specialized Fuel and Merchandise Trade Control Corps (CECCOM), together with the Attorney General’s Office and the Ministry of...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Concerning to say the least. I guess it depends on the definition of a "grocery store". If this is the case where I generally shop, I'd be horrified.

XTraveller

Aug 21, 2010
This is a very serious problem, this appears to be a hugh operations. I suspect that we will not know the people behind this. Just like in the past with sand in the brown sugar or feces in the salami or contaminated powder milk for children.

Since this may affect tourism I think it would disappear relative fast but without any guilty party found. Welcome to Dominican life.

For myself Beer is King and I may start to buy cans.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I think they're referring to colmados. Places like Playero and Super Pola are "supermercados", so a natural translation for that would be "supermarkets". I'm glad I drink beer.

Well that's an excellent translation... Yes, supermercados would be supermarkets but I do not exactly consider a colmado (unless a really big one) to be a "grocery store"... There are those mini-markets, not sure if that's in or out with this news....

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
From the article above:

The Ministry of Industry & Commerce announced new measures to attack the sale of adulterated alcoholic beverages and forged alcoholic beverages in the country. So far this year, 127 persons have died from adulterated alcohol. Hundreds are seriously ill. The first quarter total compares to 247 persons who died from adulterated alcohol in the first quarter of last year.

Twice as many people died in the first quarter of the year last year, but this year it suddenly is a crisis. I guess better late than never.