Government announces medical and trip protection insurance for all visitors

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"This insurance will be provided at no cost to the visitor until December 2020"

Why? this could be done with a temporary surcharge on travel to the country, pay the fee upon arrival...at least a pittance to help offset the costs.
Flights to the DR are already heavily taxed. The idea is to attract tourism (AI tourism in particular), not discourage it.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I could not get a flight home because of my fur kids. They wouldn't take them on cargo.
At first I thought it was a typo and you meant "four kids". But surely you wouldn't want to make your children travel in cargo!:giggle: So what are fur kids?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Many tourists will probably think even more about the risk of coming here if they are reminded of the risk of getting Covid here and they will not like the idea of DR health care. It will be real low budget tourism then. Another brilliant idea like the virtual school classes and earlier in the year the testing and form to fill in on arrival.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Many tourists will probably think even more about the risk of coming here if they are reminded of the risk of getting Covid here and they will not like the idea of DR health care. It will be real low budget tourism then. Another brilliant idea like the virtual school classes and earlier in the year the testing and form to fill in on arrival.
Is there one person left in the world who is unaware of CV19? Some people who have no insurance if they get sick with CV19 on a vacation might find the DR's plan for at least some insurance while they stay at an AI of some benefit, despite what it really could be like.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
No my Canadian travel insurance doesn't cover covid but didnt I was told before covid existed. But I totally agree look after the people here. I could not get a flight home because of my fur kids. They wouldn't take them on cargo. My insurance I was able to extend here to December. But right now there's no extending it further. Even OHIP in Ontario is not going to take action againstpeople still abroad. So maybe the insurance companies will work with people. Covid isn't covered anyway.

No, your Canadian insurance may not cover Covid, but does it cover a trip to a clinic or emergency room abroad for a high fever? For a troublesome cough? For difficulty breathing? Or are these afflictions now banned as well from your policies?

tempo

Aug 5, 2020
US
This is a smart move. This will alleviate the fear of potental tourists sitting on edge. If it also covers primarily the AIs, the geographic spread could be contained ( a model being mulled over in Cuba I understand). It may boost tourism during the most critical season. Given that any sensible tourist if sick would not travel(unless asymptomatic) plus the insurance industry uses Predictive Modeling, for their risk analysis and as we all know, make money as well. The risk- return scenario, I think is quite good, if the insurance ( and Re-insurance ) companies are willing to cover the downside and the Government working on the upside of renewed tourism.

Jan 9, 2004
If you were to grade this government announcement it would get an "A" for the hype and a "D" for substance as the bulk of AI/Hotel tourists come to the DR after December.............and the announcement references UNTIL December.

Like all these announcements...........you need to read the fine print.......closely.

And all those promised hotel protocols on coronavirus safety..............my client currently at a new hotel in Cap Cana........begs to differ.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: Caonabo and aarhus