Government extends motorcycle inspection deadline to 5 November

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Gobierno-extiende-plaza-para-motocicletas-Presidencia-1024x576.jpeg

The government has granted a new extension for motorists to regularize their status. The motorists need to carry out the corresponding expedited inspection of their motorcycle and present their IDs to ride the bikes. Those that are unregistered and domiciled in Greater Santo Domingo are being given an extension through 5 November to comply with the requirement. Those not regularized face penalties ordered in Mobility, Land Transportation, Transit and Road Safety of the Dominican Republic Law 63-17 as of the expiration of the new deadline.

Most crimes in the Dominican Republic are committed by people riding on unregistered motorcycles. The National Motorcycle Registration Plan is part of the National Strategy for Citizen Security “My Safe Country” under the Ministry of Interior & Police that seeks to address the criminal acts and traffic...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OldSkool

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Does anyone know where to go to register a scooter in or around Sosua?
It seems to me that this is only being applied in Santo Domingo. All the places mentioned to register in the city and the article only refers to it and nowhere else. In all the time since this measure was introduced I have only seen two moto riders with the number on their helmets, but maybe it's different in the capital.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
This is supposed to be a countrywide program and sooner or later some agency is going to try and enforce it here on the north coast. I would prefer go through the process before that happens. I am however, having difficulty finding information on how to proceed. I read the article with interest hoping it would offer some specifics that do not pertain to only to Santo Domingo or Santiago but alas it did not.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Had to go out to flash my vax card today so I stopped into police HQ in Sosua to ask about the scooter registration issue. No one was really sure so they directed me to the Sosua Digisett office (AMET). Went there and they seemed to think I would need to drive my scooter all the way to Puerto Plata to the Intrant office there. Not much head way made but got lots of conflicting opinions. I don't really want to drive that far on the highway on a scooter-not a particularly safe thing to do in my opinion. If anyone hears anything useful, I'd appreciate a post.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Original issue not yet resolved but a bit of a related update.

We all know that falling behind on an official process in this country doesn't necessarily become a problem until it becomes a problem. I still had the original green license plate on my scooter that I was given when it was purchased a bunch of years ago. I was pretty sure this was going to compound my problems when trying to deal with the new registration mandate for scooters and drivers. Thus far Amet has left me alone so having the old plate was apparently better than the many who have no plate at all. Last week while going over paperwork I discovered that my scooter insurance was about the lapse. I dug out my original matricula as I would be needing that to renew the insurance and just on the off chance I went to Sosua City Hall. Spoke to the ladies in the tax department and sure enough they said they could issue me a new license plate to bring me into compliance. I took care of that today. No charge. Needed the scooter and the original matricula and Cedula. I now have a new plate that is blue like everyone else. Stopped into the office to get the insurance info updated and as far as I know I am for the first time in many years actually as legal as I can be documentation wise.

Was really glad I didn't have to drive the scooter on the highway all they way to Puerto Plata and back. Still no info on getting the registration number for the helmet but the ladies at City Hall did say that requirement hasn't come to Sosua yet. We'll see.

Reactions: Gadfly