Government invests billions in education, students gain little in capacities and skills

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019

The president of the business for education group, Educa (Acción Empresarial por la Educación), Samuel Conde said over the past seven years the government built 42,500 classrooms, considerably increased wages of teachers and added more sections in pre-school, elementary and secondary levels, and improvements in vocational learning programs.He says these have been “fat years” for structural accomplishments after the allotment of 4% of the GDP to education. But he says tests continue to show learning skills have not improved.

Conde warns:“As we face the beginning of a new cycle and the next seven years of the Education Pact, it is important to point out that if only structural achievements are obtained without improvements in learning, and if those of us who subscribed the Pact continue to be condescending without daring to courageously denounce the constant non-compliance with the...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 21, 2007
It is a sad state of affairs. I believe - very generally speaking - there is an entitlement mentality among the public school teachers. I believe that - generally speaking- there is little value for education. I believe-generally speaking- because people live for today only, they do not set educational or life goals for themselves or their children. And I believe due to this systemic problem, there is little hope for this generation. Maybe we can hold out hope for the next.

I could write a book on this. As could Bob, I am sure. For me, the frustrations are many and our work is all uphill.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Total B.S.....the best thing I ever saw at the public school was two female teachers having a fistfight....,,,

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A few years ago we had a young guy that just wouldn't behave and was easily triggered by other students would would piss him off just to get him into trouble. My wife finally had enough of his bullshit and told him he wasn't allowed back next year. His mother put him in public high school. After about two months he came back and literally begged Yris to allow him back. She relented and he was a model student for the next two years until he went off to New York.

Reactions: CristoRey

CristoRey

Double soy latte-sugar free syrup w/ 1% milk
Apr 1, 2014
No surprise to me. Yris uses a test designed for grade seven students to evaluate potential teachers that have already passed their university course and many can't even pass a Grade Seven exam.
Exactly.

CristoRey

Apr 1, 2014
It is a sad state of affairs. I believe - very generally speaking - there is an entitlement mentality among the public school teachers. I believe that - generally speaking- there is little value for education. I believe-generally speaking- because people live for today only, they do not set educational or life goals for themselves or their children. And I believe due to this systemic problem, there is little hope for this generation. Maybe we can hold out hope for the next.

I could write a book on this. As could Bob, I am sure. For me, the frustrations are many and our work is all uphill.
They live for the moment. Little to none of them in the public school system having set forth goals.. only dreams which will soon be broken shortly after having their first child out of wedlock.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
They live for the moment. Little to none of them in the public school system having set forth goals.. only dreams which will soon be broken shortly after having their first child out of wedlock.
We have a few parents that had their children in our school and didn't bother registering them for the current year, never asked for their paper, never registered their children in others schools, and now they want to register and have their child pass the current grade with only going to school for 3 months. My wife doesn't even explain or listen to their excuses, just no, we are not registering any more children for this year.

Reactions: CristoRey

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
We have a few parents that had their children in our school and didn't bother registering them for the current year, never asked for their paper, never registered their children in others schools, and now they want to register and have their child pass the current grade with only going to school for 3 months. My wife doesn't even explain or listen to their excuses, just no, we are not registering any more children for this year.
It's not always that easy. My friend moved to a new area and tried to register her children at the local village school. The school was closed for months, so she was unable to do so. When she finally got to see someone the place was already full (with existing pupils, I assume) so the kids will now be starting at a school several miles away, for which they will need daily transport.

CristoRey

Apr 1, 2014
From what the civil registry just released recently in press, tens of thousands of birth certificates have errors on them so this could definitely be a problem for parents trying to register their children for school however living here this long I am smart enough to understand several of these "parents" will cut corners and skip the line at every given opportunity when it comes to "me first".

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It's not always that easy. My friend moved to a new area and tried to register her children at the local village school. The school was closed for months, so she was unable to do so. When she finally got to see someone the place was already full (with existing pupils, I assume) so the kids will now be starting at a school several miles away, for which they will need daily transport.
There are always exceptions. These children I am talking about were registered the school the previous year. The parents know the numbers to phone, whom to talk to, and they have friends that registered their children in the three available months, plus there were posters on the school stating the how, why, when....etc.