Government is looking for a partner to build the Amber Highway

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Autopista-del-Ambar-DGAPP-1024x655.png

The Abinader administration announced it is going ahead with the construction of the four-lane 32.7 km Amber Highway (Autopista del Ambar), a shorter route to connect Santiago with the North Coast. The construction is budgeted at US$400 million.

The intention is to reduce the ground travel time for international and domestic tourists to get from Santiago to stay in the around 10,000 hotel rooms on the Atlantic Coast. The Atlantic Coast is known as the Amber Coast due to the amber mined in the northern mountain range the new highway would cross.

Public Works Minister Deligne Ascención and the executive director of the Public-Private Partnerships Agency (DGAPP) Sigmund Freud made the announcement on 17 May 2023.

The project initially had been protested by environmentalists. It is not known if this is the same project protested by environmentalists or if changes have been...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Finally, the north coast gets some attentio
If only they could solve the water and power grid Cangreo bridge issues and the Abinader might poll better.
You think the Cangrejo Bridge will be finished before the Amber highway ?
They should have partnered on the bridge with La Sirena and Jumbo and a real bridge building company - we'd all be using it by now.

Reactions: David B

Kricke87

Feb 16, 2021
Sosúa
Okay? I don't even understand the purpose of it. This Monday I went on the current Carretera Turistica between Gran Parada and Gurabo, and except for all the curves it's a lovely road. Even going in a "slow" pace it only took around 50-55 minutes from start to finish, so for those with bigger cars and some guts (especially coming from Santiago) you could probably go that road in less than 40 minutes. So why spend $400 Million (🤯) on a road that at best only would shorten the travel time with like 10-15 minutes?
If they are so eager to spend that amount of money on road, it would make more sense to use it to widden the current road between Puerto Plata and the entire North Coast, like they announced like 5 or 6 years ago (4 lane road the entire way).

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The catalyst for this rekindling of the highway project seems to be the major development for Playa./Punto Bergantin.

We know the Congrejo Bridge problem has land owner issues to make it 4 lanes. I suspect the increase to 4 lanes
for the north coast highway is also being reconsidered since there is interest in the bridge being 4 lanes.

Reactions: bachata

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Okay? I don't even understand the purpose of it. This Monday I went on the current Carretera Turistica between Gran Parada and Gurabo, and except for all the curves it's a lovely road. Even going in a "slow" pace it only took around 50-55 minutes from start to finish, so for those with bigger cars and some guts (especially coming from Santiago) you could probably go that road in less than 40 minutes. So why spend $400 Million (🤯) on a road that at best only would shorten the travel time with like 10-15 minutes?
If they are so eager to spend that amount of money on road, it would make more sense to use it to widden the current road between Puerto Plata and the entire North Coast, like they announced like 5 or 6 years ago (4 lane road the entire way).
You will never fully enjoy this country if you think logically !!

Reactions: MariaRubia

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
100% aGREED.
I wonder who will be awarded the contract?

It took them about 12 years to finish this road. They do not need to carve up what's left of the natural prestine countryside so that people can shave 15 minutes off their commute.

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
This is the most important paragraph of that article

A tender is underway to choose the builder of the new toll road. Freud of the DGAPP said that the tender winner will be responsible for funding the road. He said the government would not guarantee the company’s borrowing for the construction. He said the government will contribute US$20 million over two years at the start of the project and will contribute in kind located in Punta Bergantín, Puerto Plata.

Another pipe dream that likely will never get completed but will give something to talk about the next 20 or so years.

Reactions: cavok

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
Its a great ride on a motorcycle

Reactions: CristoRey

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The best I've ever been able to do that route is 45 minutes and that was pushing it a little. With a sports car, I could probably knock off another 5 minutes.

The new proposed route is 20 miles long - so 20 minutes max. By the time this new highway is complete 15 years from now, traffic will be so heavy on the Ruta Touristica that the new highway will probably save an easy 1/2 hour to 35 minutes.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I love to drive over the mountains on Carretera Turística, last time I was in DR I left from Sosua at 9:00 pm and at 10:00 pm I was having dinner in Santiago Llanos de Gurabo.
Not bad for a night and slow drive.

JJ

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I love to drive over the mountains on Carretera Turística, last time I was in DR I left from Sosua at 9:00 pm and at 10:00 pm I was having dinner in Santiago Llanos de Gurabo.
Not bad for a night and slow drive.

JJ
Now imagine if it was a straight line highway.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
The Turristaca Road is great ....After so many years they did a wonderful job. Nevertheless I would love a modern highway , it's a completely different relaxing drive. It would increase traffic tremendously between Santiago and the coast. I would just bop over to Pricemart and Bravo and it would be no big deal.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Now imagine if it was a straight line highway.
It would be nice but La Turística should be maintained in good shape as well the others roads.
La Turística has it's own activities for the people who are looking for a relaxing trip.

All the vendors on the side of the road: Dulces, quesos, longaniza, puerco asado, carne de cerdo salada and all kind of fruits.

JJ

Oct 19, 2015
canada
The catalyst for this rekindling of the highway project seems to be the major development for Playa./Punto Bergantin.

We know the Congrejo Bridge problem has land owner issues to make it 4 lanes. I suspect the increase to 4 lanes
for the north coast highway is also being reconsidered since there is interest in the bridge being 4 lanes.
Ok they have a problem getting the land for 4 lane road. Why not just build a new 2 lane bridge where the other bridge was, for NOW. Then when they get the land to build the other 2 lanes, build another bridge !