Government to Fast Track Haitian Legalization

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Looks like the government is going to fast track getting Haitian workers legal:

DR government will grant legal status to Haitians, says Director of Migration
26 enero, 2022

https://hoy.com.do/gobierno-rd-otorgara … migracion/

The Director of Migration, Enrique García , announced today that in the coming days the Government will announce a registration plan that seeks to grant legal status to Haitian nationals .

“This one that will be announced soon if it will give you legal status. You have 10 Haitian nationals working on your farm, construction, we are going to give you the opportunity to fulfill a series of requirements that you already register it with Migration, "said García.

“It's a plan of record. The only difference is that you will have a contract, previously you did not have one (…) If you have your 10 nationals in your construction because you are an engineer, you will have to make 10 contracts to them. You will have to register it with the TSS,” he said.......

“We are going to start with those who have a passport, those who have a Haitian identity card and those who have a Haitian birth certificate. We are going to opt for those three documents, accept them all three. Somehow we have to start organizing this mess”, said the Director of Migration .......

Reactions: NanSanPedro

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is an issue with the Haitians that regularized their status with the regularization plan of a few years ago. They were suppose to continue renewing their legal status every year, but what happened is that they didn't. Technically, most Haitians that legalized their migration status became illegals again for not renewing. The government is going to give Haitians a second chance (instead of deporting), but they have to renew when the year is up.

I have a hunch the same will happen next year. Illegal Haitians that become legal revert to illegals through inaction.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
The Regularisation plan was very flawed. many Haitians jumped through all the hoops and paid all the fees to get it, but the results varied from person to person. In the case of a couple of brothers I know, one got a cedula and the other got a one year stamp on his passport, despite going through the same process. Then, it's an expensive process to renew every year - money that few Haitians have available.

Like NALs, I can't see this latest plan being any more successful.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
The Regularisation plan was very flawed. many Haitians jumped through all the hoops and paid all the fees to get it, but the results varied from person to person. In the case of a couple of brothers I know, one got a cedula and the other got a one year stamp on his passport, despite going through the same process. Then, it's an expensive process to renew every year - money that few Haitians have available.

Like NALs, I can't see this latest plan being any more successful.
I'm curious about the dude with the cedula, is it citizen or resident and did he pay the same?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm curious about the dude with the cedula, is it citizen or resident and did he pay the same?
A quick way to know the difference is see where it says Nacionalidad. It will say Dominicano/a or República Dominicana if it is a citizen, otherwise it will say the foreign nationality.

Reactions: NanSanPedro
Feb 7, 2007
Another way is to look at the back. If you're a resident, it will say "NO VOTA" in big black letters.
Not necessarily. Underage cédulas for DR citizens and cédulas for military and police also say NO VOTA and are also of green color, same as foreigner's cédulas.

So, effectively, as NALs says, the only way to know if one is citizen or not is the nationality information on the cédula.