Great New Rest. in Sosua and Caberete

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
OK, did my German world tour in Sosua this past weekend, and overall was disappointed.
First stop, Parada tipico el chocho. It was their O'Fest weekend, so they had a set menu, and no schnitzel. I would have opted for their schweinehaxen, but they had no German wine. Took a hike.
Next stop, Orchidee, which came highly recommended. Not so much. The Jaegerschnitzel was if someone had opened a can of mushroom soup, and poured it over a pork chop. Also, no German wine.
Last stop, German bar and grill, which has no German vibe at all. Once again, NO German wine (I was becoming pretty cranky). The Jaegerschnitzel, however, was the shyte. As were the roasted potatoes. Think I made myself sick.
Next time, I'm bringing my own bottle of Mosel. Try an stop me.
Lastly, I found the level of service at all three to be sub-par.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Eating in Sosua and Cabarete is a disaster for us north-europeans, in my opinion. If we have to eat something we eat at Hexenkessel, at least german beer and a decent simple plate of food. Even the papas fritas (I cant stand the words french Fries) are not bad. And they know you use mayonaise with the papas ...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Eating in Sosua and Cabarete is a disaster for us north-europeans, in my opinion. If we have to eat something we eat at Hexenkessel, at least german beer and a decent simple plate of food. Even the papas fritas (I cant stand the words french Fries) are not bad. And they know you use mayonaise with the papas ...

I am from the US and trust me, I get your point. Try Beyerischerhoff the next time when in Cabarete. The non ocean side of Ocean Dream plaza just a short way down a side road off the main highway.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I am bored and a good cook, though not professional, but good in Thai and Javanese (Kokkie Djawa :)), Jndonesia. I cooked a traditional Javanese, several, on el dia de la virgen for 45 persons. Everybody was happy, very happy.
My wife asked me why not open something in Cabarete. Any thoughts?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am bored and a good cook, though not professional, but good in Thai and Javanese (Kokkie Djawa :)), Jndonesia. I cooked a traditional Javanese, several, on el dia de la virgen for 45 persons. Everybody was happy, very happy.
My wife asked me why not open something in Cabarete. Any thoughts?

I am all for a Thai/Asian restaurant in Cabarete. Never had Javanese food, just Thai, Sri Lankan, Indian, Malasian, Taiwanese, and Singaporean food. My favorite is Sri Lankan, but any of those would be better than what is there now. Just don't add pizza to the menu. Please.

(There actually is an Indian restaurant in what was the Pelican Bar/Aloha Cafe where the building is owned by Horst on the west side of Ocean Dream in front of Harmony. )

Last edited:

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Still the best place in Sosua is Taberna el Conde opposite Helados Bon...the quality, quantity, service and price are the best in town. I eat there once or twice a week. Nick the owner does specials each day that are very reasonably priced and he also has a great menu.
Mondays is curry night, Tuesdays is Tacos night, (best Tacos I have ever had), Wednesdays he changes his 3 weekly specials, Thursdays is burger night, (best burgers I have ever had, Little Piggy burger is awesome, a thick juicy patty with BBQ pulled pork on top with bacon on top of that!!), Fridays is pie night, (Usually steak and mushroom, chicken pot pie, pork pie and Shepherds pie), Saturdays is steak and shrimp night and Sundays is the traditional Sunday roasts.
If you like Chinese spring rolls he has them as an appetizer and these are the best I have ever had in 15 years living here in the DR...crispy, flakey and full of flavor.
His prices are so reasonable...oh, and the apple pie is to die for!!

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I haven't read the whole thread so in case it is not mentioned, Tilo who ran Orchide restaurant before is now back and cooking at Don Anderes hotel restaurant.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Still the best place in Sosua is Taberna el Conde opposite Helados Bon...the quality, quantity, service and price are the best in town. I eat there once or twice a week. Nick the owner does specials each day that are very reasonably priced and he also has a great menu.
Mondays is curry night, Tuesdays is Tacos night, (best Tacos I have ever had), Wednesdays he changes his 3 weekly specials, Thursdays is burger night, (best burgers I have ever had, Little Piggy burger is awesome, a thick juicy patty with BBQ pulled pork on top with bacon on top of that!!), Fridays is pie night, (Usually steak and mushroom, chicken pot pie, pork pie and Shepherds pie), Saturdays is steak and shrimp night and Sundays is the traditional Sunday roasts.
If you like Chinese spring rolls he has them as an appetizer and these are the best I have ever had in 15 years living here in the DR...crispy, flakey and full of flavor.
His prices are so reasonable...oh, and the apple pie is to die for!!
I eat at El Conde regularly and have never had anything that was less than spectacular until ladt night and it happens to be the apple pie that you rave about,it was horrible.About a quarter inch thick at most and the crust was like it had never been in an oven it was raw. That said,it is my favorite place to eat overall.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I am all for a Thai/Asian restaurant in Cabarete. Never had Javanese food, just Thai, Sri Lankan, Indian, Malasian, Taiwanese, and Singaporean food. My favorite is Sri Lankan, but any of those would be better than what is there now. Just don't add pizza to the menu. Please.

(There actually is an Indian restaurant in what was the Pelican Bar/Aloha Cafe where the building is owned by Horst on the west side of Ocean Dream in front of Harmony. )

I am going to think about. They even don't know how Rice is cooked the oriental way....Concon...my a+#

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
OK, did my German world tour in Sosua this past weekend, and overall was disappointed.
First stop, Parada tipico el chocho. It was their O'Fest weekend, so they had a set menu, and no schnitzel. I would have opted for their schweinehaxen, but they had no German wine. Took a hike.
Next stop, Orchidee, which came highly recommended. Not so much. The Jaegerschnitzel was if someone had opened a can of mushroom soup, and poured it over a pork chop. Also, no German wine.
Last stop, German bar and grill, which has no German vibe at all. Once again, NO German wine (I was becoming pretty cranky). The Jaegerschnitzel, however, was the shyte. As were the roasted potatoes. Think I made myself sick.
Next time, I'm bringing my own bottle of Mosel. Try an stop me.
Lastly, I found the level of service at all three to be sub-par.

Orchidee was closed for Months ... Who re opened it in Sept ?
Must be brand new People.. why does it not surprise me that it is no where near the same.

Cant blame it on the Reputation of the Old Orchidee, their Food was always Superb when Tilo and crew were there.

And you completely missed Rancho... best German food in the whole Town.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Orchidee was closed for Months ... Who re opened it in Sept ?
Must be brand new People.. why does it not surprise me that it is no where near the same.

Cant blame it on the Reputation of the Old Orchidee, their Food was always Superb when Tilo and crew were there.

And you completely missed Rancho... best German food in the whole Town.

That guy was the epitome of a gentleman, and when he saw you in town he would by you a cocktail. Great businessman.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I eat at El Conde regularly and have never had anything that was less than spectacular until ladt night and it happens to be the apple pie that you rave about,it was horrible.About a quarter inch thick at most and the crust was like it had never been in an oven it was raw. That said,it is my favorite place to eat overall.

Tom, if you know Nick then you know he would have resolved this issue in a flash, there is nothing he cares about more than his clients. I had apple pie last night and it was delicious and several other people also had some around me. Not sure what happened with yours but never fail to tell Nick if you are not satisfied. There are very few complaints at his restaurant but his customer service is second to none if there is ever an issue.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Tom, if you know Nick then you know he would have resolved this issue in a flash, there is nothing he cares about more than his clients. I had apple pie last night and it was delicious and several other people also had some around me. Not sure what happened with yours but never fail to tell Nick if you are not satisfied. There are very few complaints at his restaurant but his customer service is second to none if there is ever an issue.
Correct , he runs a very impressive little Restaurant there . And I believe the ex partner runs La Finca ? So there is always that little friendly Rivalry and Competition, which is good , keeps people on their toes..
Never be afraid to tell a restaurant what you really liked, or what is a little OFF that day.. he will appreciate it the honesty.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Correct , he runs a very impressive little Restaurant there . And I believe the ex partner runs La Finca ? So there is always that little friendly Rivalry and Competition, which is good , keeps people on their toes..
Never be afraid to tell a restaurant what you really liked, or what is a little OFF that day.. he will appreciate it the honesty.

The owners of La Finca own the entire building including La Finca restaurant and El Conde restaurant. One of the owners runs the La Finca restaurant and El Conde is rented out to Nick, he has no association with either of the owners apart from leasing the restaurant.