Gringo (again)

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
So I was WhatsApping with a taxi driver in Bavaro that I have used before (he had given me his card). In order for me to ID myself to him I called myself a gringo. My kid was not happy with that when I showed him. He said not to use that again as it is impolite. Instead I'm to use Americano. Is that correct all over or is he overreacting?

Reactions: Grampa

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I believe "Americano" is mas suave. However if you really want to confuse the pop. tell them you are a "carpetbagger". That should do it...."dazzel them with fancy footwork.

Grampa

Banned
Nov 15, 2021
Kansas
Being specific i.e. americano, gordo, rubia is better, and to some gringo may have a slightly negative connotation yet in my experience the only ones getting their feathers ruffled are the actual gringos/tourists when called that by Dominicans. They incorrectly think it's some kind of slur or insult. I'm awaiting an answer from my better half and will post if it's anything new.

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
He said not to use that again as it is impolite. Instead I'm to use Americano. Is that correct all over or is he overreacting?

The context is important…gringo can mean “foreigner” …or , according to Google Translate’s alternative translation “dirty foreigner” .

Most of the time in DR it just means foreigner ….but I agree with the OP’s kid …in the context that the OP described ..(formal business)…. ‘gringo’ would be informal/impolite.​

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Any word that isn't a swear word isn't an insult unless it's paired with an explicit. For example, "ese gringo" simply means "that American/Canadian" (yes, Canadians are called gringos too, deal with it lol.) If it says "ese maldito gringo" or "gringo de mier--," um, not good and lets leave it at that.

Last edited:
Reactions: windeguy and Grampa

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
It does get old being called a gringo all the time. Some with more class say caballero. Even extranjero is better. I tell ‘em sabes tengo un nombre? And then some use my name after. Or I’ll tease and say como k gringo!? Soy dominicano, soy de la capital.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
They call me Loco Viejo.... not sure what it means , but I think it must be a Sign of Respect .. no ?

• Haha
Reactions: AlaPlaya

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So I was WhatsApping with a taxi driver in Bavaro that I have used before (he had given me his card). In order for me to ID myself to him I called myself a gringo. My kid was not happy with that when I showed him. He said not to use that again as it is impolite. Instead I'm to use Americano. Is that correct all over or is he overreacting?
I wish my day to day problems were as challenging as yours ;)

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Rubia gringa is what I have heard them call me. Honestly, I do not really care.

They always refer to me just as rubia. I don't think I've been called gringa and agree it's got a negative vibe. And maybe now a.bit old fashioned too.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I cant remember being called Gringo, other than by my wife when teasing me about having to pay Gringo prices. I usually get called Senor, Don, Caballero, Americano, esposo de Yris, Bob, Bos, Bod....etc.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Many kids in Samana call me "cienpeso?" Many adults call me "milpeso?" I have no idea what it means. My spanish is bad. When I just smile they say "conyo". Not sure what is going on. Before everyone jumps all over me, my Dominican wife from Bonao will tell you my story is true.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003