Gringo Round Up in Sosua ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Migracion should have those numbers if you know who to ask. I am going to guess that less than 10% of the visitors to the DR say more than 30 days.
Based on AI turnover---by far the largest travel segment---you may be correct.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
As far as I remember the Border agent can set whatever time he wants when he files the I94 up to 6 month.

http://immigration.terra.com/visa_tourist_b2.html
For How Long Can I Stay in the U.S. with a Tourist Visa:

People admitted to the United States on a B2 Tourist Visa are usually issued a 6-month stay. The maximum length of stay for visitor visa holders is 6 months. The immigration officer at the port of entry determines how long each visitor is allowed to stay in the country. Most visitors have their I-94 cards stamped with a 6-month stay, however the immigration officer has the right to issue a shorter stay on a case by case basis. Upon entry into the United States, the foreign visitor has the right to request an extension of stay.

THat has been the experience of people I have known also. They are asked how long they ar planning on staying and even if they answer a couple of weeks they get 6 months.
Der Fish

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Based on AI turnover---by far the largest travel segment---you may be correct.

That is exactly why I base my guess of less than 10% of tourists stay longer than a month. Reportedly about 90% of tourists go to Punta Cana and stay at an AI. Doubtful many are spending more than a week or two.

The 10% or less that stay in condos or non-AI hotels/Aribnb listings are a far less significant number to the DR government and decreases the chances of change in that tourist card situation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
May I ask your methodology in making this assertion?

The vast majority, reportedly around 90% go to Punta Cana and stay in AI resorts. Numbers are published by the DR government on how many tourists enter the country through various airports and Punta Cana is "the" entry point by far and away. Not many AI tourists are going to stay longer than a month. Sure there are some that go to the north coast and visit the ageing AIs. The number of people wintering over and spending more than a couple of weeks time in non-AI hotels, condos and Airbnb rentals are a much lower number. Then you have your Sosua/Boca Chica three day long weekend vacationers so far down in importance the government would rather they remained home (my what a controversial comment that last one is. )

Tourism on the north coast is way, way, way down from years gone by.

Other than that, my guess is just a guess, so I would not call it an assertion which would imply it was a fact.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Punta Cana puj  gets 66% of arrivals , then Santo Domingo followed by Puerto plata which accounts for 90% of flights in DR...they say tourism up over 5% not down...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am going to guess that less than 10% of the visitors to the DR say more than 30 days.

May I ask your methodology in making this assertion?

This nitpicking is becoming tiresome and repetitious. Leave Windy and the others alone. He already indicated that he surmised his conclusion so you already have the answer to your question, which leads me to wonder about your motivation in asking.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Punta Cana puj  gets 66% of arrivals , then Santo Domingo followed by Puerto plata which accounts for 90% of flights in DR...they say tourism up over 5% not down...

Tourism on the north coast is way down despite a small uptick reported recently. Yes tourism in the DR and the south coast is up considerably.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
The problem is; of that 10% who overstay, what percentage of them are in the NC? I would guess the NC is the leader of that demographics and therefore is feeling it the worst, not to mention the immigration police hit that area the hardest. Sadly it seems the NC is getting no help to increase/support the tourism sector. It's very sad because overall it has more to offer as far as diversity.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The NC is getting support from the Ministry....

We see it in our area for a new hotel..
They talk to the new developers in any area about new builds or rebuilds.

I doubt you will find an investor who doesn't interact with the Tourism people during their projects.

Read the North Coast redevelopment thread.... quite a bit of activity recently.
Albeit late.... but it's creeping forward nonetheless.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
The Dr government implemented a tax free incentive for hotels renovating 50% or more rooms .. to hotels 15yrs or older.. plus new build tax breaks ..

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
North Coast rooms booked is up 5%  so tourism isn't down

A small uptick is what I mentioned. I did not say the north coast was down year over year. It is way down from a past highs or even the average. 5% up from miserable is still miserable.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
These growth stats never seem to match what the people and business owners say. Those with first hand experience are always wrong and the Guv stats are always right.The only exception are Realtors, they will agree that the economy is getting better, get in now and make money on your investment!

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
All of Caribbean got hit with tourism slump ..but DR is surpassing the rest in recovery ...I think we need another pizza joint to help! :) 

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
This nitpicking is becoming tiresome and repetitious. Leave Windy and the others alone. He already indicated that he surmised his conclusion so you already have the answer to your question, which leads me to wonder about your motivation in asking.

It's not nitpicking, and I believe if Winde had a problem with my question he would have PM'd me as he has done in the past, when he has requested clarification on an issue, but not for the eyes of the entire DR1 world. I correspond with Winde on other threads, including a baseball thread on here. This is a forum. People discuss issues. It's not just one way pontification or diary entries. People converse. Which leads me to wonder about your motivation as a Mod. Is it not to encourage the open sharing of ideas within the DR1 community, in order for it to remain the #1 source of DR related information?
You mention leaving Winde, and the "others" alone. What others? I have not received one PM from anybody having an issue. It's actually been quite the opposite. Are you directing this message to others on this thread, or am I just the lucky one?

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
From my post in the Overstay Chart topic in the Living Forum:

Left Las Americas 2 weeks ago and had overstayed one day (plane schedules don't really take the overstay chart into account :) ). Had to pay 2500 pesos at the cashiers window and got a receipt. I joked to the woman officer if they were not going to arrest me for overstaying so I could stay longer and she said no :). Then she said something interesting: She said next time when you come, instead of buying the tourist card on entry ask for the 90 day visa and that will only cost you 2.000 pesos. So it seems that this rumored 90 day visa does exist (or at least this customs officer thought it did).

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
From my post in the Overstay Chart topic in the Living Forum:

Yes I have heard it exists but yet to see one in a tourists passport ?
Yes now is the time to buy more property in the North Coast, it's going up like a rock in a deep pool I'm sure mine is worth 75% of what I paid - But my Realtor friend called to say "I have a great deal "..
Always ask what happened to the last owner...was he found under a mattress or in the cistern, how many machete marks did he have, or was he disappeared ?
Not that I believe in ghosts but I won't buy a property where the last owner was killed or vanished - maybe I don't believe in ghosts - but it's just bad juju.

thompstr

Mar 21, 2018
i agree with you

I plan on moving to dr in near future
Buy a house retire
From what i learnt from dr1 its not that hard to get a rez card, not that expensive
Obey laws pretty plan and simple

Status
Not open for further replies.