Gringo Walking In Santo Domingo With Maleta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Britboy

Oct 30, 2021
Samana
Just been back to collect my passport from a motorcycle rental company in LT. She says she has lost it. Long story. Nightmare.
I have to travel to the capital to the UK embassy to collect the emergency travel document ant I am having sleepless nights contemplating walking through the capital with my suitcase and worldly items that have not already been ransacked. And then negotiate my way back to the airport. Never been to SD before am I right in thinking this is a bad idea.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Just been back to collect my passport from a motorcycle rental company in LT. She says she has lost it. Long story. Nightmare.
I have to travel to the capital to the UK embassy to collect the emergency travel document ant I am having sleepless nights contemplating walking through the capital with my suitcase and worldly items that have not already been ransacked. And then negotiate my way back to the airport. Never been to SD before am I right in thinking this is a bad idea.
Use taxis and ubers.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Walking through SD with luggage is not recommended for several reasons among which are:

- The city is big and it doesn't have a single place you can say "this is the center or downtown." There are signs pointings towards "Centro Ciudad" to the Duarte with Paris area, but in reality it was a long time ago when that was a sort of downtown for the city. Today the city has several areas that could be considered "downtown" and each area is dominated by one or two social classes, hence the experience you get in one is not the same as in another.

- The city has evolved to have several downtowns because of the relax nature towards urban codes. Despite you are going to the British Embassy, Dominican government offices are spread all over the city. Usually, government offices are in the "downtown" of a city, but alas SD doesn't one "downtown" area.

- The city isn't made for pedestrians. Sidewalk infrastructure is a mess, not even, tend to be less wide than in the UK, sometimes disappear either as it becomes part of some parking lot or in residential areas part or all of the sidewalk is used by the homeowners (illegally of course) forcing pedestrians to walk on the street. Having to go through this with luggage on hand multiply the difficulties. Sidewalks tend to be better along main avenues, but there is plenty on side streets and that's where things get interesting. Also, pedestrian crossing lights (which are few) are just there for show since no one follows them, not to mention many don't work.

- SD is hot not just because it's in the tropics, but it has a lot of cement buildings, sidewalks, asphalt streets, etc. All of that creates an extra layer of heat over the city that remains there well into the night. The city island heat effect can be felt if driving out of the city with the windows slightly down, especially in the evenings. As soon as you leave the built up area the air feels considerably cooler. If your time there coincides with the arrival of the Sahara dust, expect the city to be even hotter than normal. If you suffer from asthma or any respiratory diseases, expect symptoms to flare up more often due to the extra particles in the air.

The good news is that the British Embassy is on the same avenue of the main bus stop for Caribe Tours. If you arrive into the city via Caribe Tours, take an Uber or taxi from there to the embassy. It's a very easy and straight forward route.

If taking a taxi, always set the price before it leaves. Apolo Taxi (809 537 0000) is one of the more reputable ones. Taxi drivers will wait for you and go with you into the British Embassy if you tell them before hand. They will go to the airport from there, but again set the price before it leaves. Another tip is to remember the license plate of the taxi you are using, the name of the driver and any number of the unit.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Use uber. Nobody will notice or care about a gringo with a suitcase. Many in the capital have much more money and things than many gringos here. Use uber nothing to negotiate no need to explain directions, just put in your destination and uber will do the fastest route. The price is already set. Make sure your credit card/debit card is already connected to uber to avoid having to use cash which they will not have any change. Like someone else said the city is not made for walking. use uber you'll be fine. don't over complicate it. and you're not the only or first the capital has seen.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Use uber. Nobody will notice or care about a gringo with a suitcase. Many in the capital have much more money and things than many gringos here. Use uber nothing to negotiate no need to explain directions, just put in your destination and uber will do the fastest route. The price is already set. Make sure your credit card/debit card is already connected to uber to avoid having to use cash which they will not have any change. Like someone else said the city is not made for walking. use uber you'll be fine. don't over complicate it. and you're not the only or first the capital has seen.
I wouldn't say crime is imminent in a situation like that. The most common outcome is that nothing bad will happen except the natural difficulties of walking everywhere in SD during the heat of the day with a luggage in tow. However, most crimes are opportunistic. If a gringo is walking with his luggage and a criminal sees him walking on the street (on major avenues everybody passes through them), then opportunity is knocking. It doesn't matter if 100 people whisk by in Mercedes-Benz's, they will focus on what seem to be the easy prey and their moto will reach the gringo walking with his luggage in no time. What is such a gringo suppose to do when the guys approach him with a gun pointing at him? You don't need to understand the language to understand what is taking place in a situation like that.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
At the risk of sounding like a broken record take an UBER and don't over think it, you'll be fine.

Reactions: Big

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Lost ? It was sold for someone looking to make a trip under your name

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Has anyone notice OP hasn't been back since his first post?

Britboy

Oct 30, 2021
Samana
Walking through SD with luggage is not recommended for several reasons among which are:

- The city is big and it doesn't have a single place you can say "this is the center or downtown." There are signs pointings towards "Centro Ciudad" to the Duarte with Paris area, but in reality it was a long time ago when that was a sort of downtown for the city. Today the city has several areas that could be considered "downtown" and each area is dominated by one or two social classes, hence the experience you get in one is not the same as in another.

- The city has evolved to have several downtowns because of the relax nature towards urban codes. Despite you are going to the British Embassy, Dominican government offices are spread all over the city. Usually, government offices are in the "downtown" of a city, but alas SD doesn't one "downtown" area.

- The city isn't made for pedestrians. Sidewalk infrastructure is a mess, not even, tend to be less wide than in the UK, sometimes disappear either as it becomes part of some parking lot or in residential areas part or all of the sidewalk is used by the homeowners (illegally of course) forcing pedestrians to walk on the street. Having to go through this with luggage on hand multiply the difficulties. Sidewalks tend to be better along main avenues, but there is plenty on side streets and that's where things get interesting. Also, pedestrian crossing lights (which are few) are just there for show since no one follows them, not to mention many don't work.

- SD is hot not just because it's in the tropics, but it has a lot of cement buildings, sidewalks, asphalt streets, etc. All of that creates an extra layer of heat over the city that remains there well into the night. The city island heat effect can be felt if driving out of the city with the windows slightly down, especially in the evenings. As soon as you leave the built up area the air feels considerably cooler. If your time there coincides with the arrival of the Sahara dust, expect the city to be even hotter than normal. If you suffer from asthma or any respiratory diseases, expect symptoms to flare up more often due to the extra particles in the air.

The good news is that the British Embassy is on the same avenue of the main bus stop for Caribe Tours. If you arrive into the city via Caribe Tours, take an Uber or taxi from there to the embassy. It's a very easy and straight forward route.

If taking a taxi, always set the price before it leaves. Apolo Taxi (809 537 0000) is one of the more reputable ones. Taxi drivers will wait for you and go with you into the British Embassy if you tell them before hand. They will go to the airport from there, but again set the price before it leaves. Another tip is to remember the license plate of the taxi you are using, the name of the driver and any number of the unit.

Britboy

Oct 30, 2021
Samana
Absolutely fantastic.that's everything I need to know.I appreciate you taking the time out to help. Money is tight. Could you give me a ball park figure on the taxi

Absolutely fantastic information. That's all I needed to know.Thanks for taking the time outo to help.
One further thing could you give me a ball park figure on the taxi including onwards th o the airport.
Money is tight.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I feel the need to pile on , sorry

Why in the Ever Loving WORLD would you trust these IDIOTS who Run Rental Places with your Passport ?
If a Color Photocopy is not enough , Find another Place to rent from..
I have rented Cars Dozens of times , and have never ever been asked to give up my Passport .
this is just beyond ridiculous

I guess you wont be making that mistake again anytime soon ..

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I would like to thank everyone for taking there time to help much appreciated.Had no phone credit is the reason I was not responding.
Had a real tough time recently hence my paranoia about SD.
You really need to report the theft of your passport to the police unless you're not coming back.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Sol09

Jan 12, 2017
I feel the need to pile on , sorry

Why in the Ever Loving WORLD would you trust these IDIOTS who Run Rental Places with your Passport ?
If a Color Photocopy is not enough , Find another Place to rent from..
I have rented Cars Dozens of times , and have never ever been asked to give up my Passport .
this is just beyond ridiculous

I guess you wont be making that mistake again anytime soon ..
The local independent rental places typically require you to leave your passport or a large cash deposit.

Status
Not open for further replies.