Gringo Walking In Santo Domingo With Maleta

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I've only done it once here in Boca Chica and they made a copy. I would have said no had they wanted to keep the passport.
Giving up your Passport for a Rental of any kind is quite possibly the most AMATEUR Move you could ever make in the DR ..

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Exactly, just say no to passport confiscation unless it is under court order from the controlling legal authorities.

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation Bro.
But you created one of the best titles I have seen for a thread in a long time.
Some really good contributions being made also.
👍👍

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If the passport is close to expiring, then it might not be a big deal to leave it for a rental. Every new passport gets a new identity number. It will not be of much use for them to make copies of a passport with an expired ID number. Having a fake number will also not work.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Just report the passport it lost or stolen. People watch too much tv and spy movies. That passport is worthless. They have all kinds of security markings watermarks etc even on the photos, so if anybody tries to pull it apart and switch photos, everything rips and tears. And never LEAVE your passport with anybody. Like someone mentioned if they won't take a copy, they find a new company. Also always do a full color scan of your passport front and back and email it to yourself.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Just report the passport it lost or stolen. People watch too much tv and spy movies. That passport is worthless. They have all kinds of security markings watermarks etc even on the photos, so if anybody tries to pull it apart and switch photos, everything rips and tears. And never LEAVE your passport with anybody. Like someone mentioned if they won't take a copy, they find a new company. Also always do a full color scan of your passport front and back and email it to yourself.

Its especially worthless to the Person who is Missing it ..
Like when their Flight is the next day , and they need to leave the Country .

Some people do have JOBS , Appointments to keep ... a Stolen./ lost/ missing Passport has NO Value .. you are correct on that one ..

maybe you misunderstood that part ?..

no one needs to watch spy Movies to understand how Infuriating and inconvenient this can be, until the experience it themselves ..
So therefore to WILLFULLY Hand over your Passport to some FLUNKY at a Pesola Rental Sheit hole , is the height of Ignorance ...
The Reputable Companies never ask for it and there is a reason for that .

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Uber from Santo Domingo was only like 1200 pesos- give or take- to the airport, 3 months ago.

A British emergency travel document will set you back only about 100 quid, and can be ready in a few days ( 3, i think ) and you can pick it up at the embassy

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
I'm sad to read of this guy's plight. He mentions that he has had a very rough time recently and says his belongings have been ransacked, as well as having had his passport stolen. The DR can be a very very tough place for foreigners who arrive the first time, especially if they don't speak Spanish. It's easy for those of us with years and years under our belt, lots of contacts and lots of know-how to avoid those types of situations, but new guys are targeted.

Be kind people, be kind.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Just to add my 2 cents of advice. I presume you are coming from Las Terrenas, so you are best to get the air conditioned bus. I think it leaves twice a day and will drop you in the Duarte markets area. Which is a very rough area, and absolutely not the area you should be walking around in as a gringo, with or without a maleta. So just stay in the bus station, call an Uber, CHECK THE PLATE ON THE VEHICLE MATCHES THE ONE IN THE UBER APP, and go straight to the British Embassy. About 300 pesos probably.

By the way, I presume you are flying from Santo Domingo SDQ airport? If so I would suggest you get someone at the embassy to call a taxi for you to take you to the airport, and if you smile sweetly they may even find one of their drivers who will take you there. They will certainly use a reliable service.

There are no direct flights to London from Santo Domingo, so you may be flying from Punta Cana PUJ airport. If it's Punta Cana, you will definitely need to take a bus from Santo Domingo as it's a 2.5 hour drive. The bus will be from Expreso Bavaro, you can get times from expresobavaro.com.

I'm happy to help with more advice if you need it, I work in the tourism field, speak fluent Spanish and I've lived in DR for over 10 years. Just PM me if you need me.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If you need the embassy to find you a taxi you shouldn't leave your home country.
Any decent hotel will have a couple clean newer taxis out front with a copy of the drivers taxi license visible.
And their rates are comparable to the filthy broken down Corolla on mismatched tires and bad brakes with no AC.
If grabbing one at the bus station get the rate before getting into the cab. And under no circumstance follow a 'driver' to a parked car in the underground or to a spot on the street.
If he left his taxi he's looking for a patsy.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Its especially worthless to the Person who is Missing it ..
Like when their Flight is the next day , and they need to leave the Country .

Some people do have JOBS , Appointments to keep ... a Stolen./ lost/ missing Passport has NO Value .. you are correct on that one ..

maybe you misunderstood that part ?..

no one needs to watch spy Movies to understand how Infuriating and inconvenient this can be, until the experience it themselves ..
So therefore to WILLFULLY Hand over your Passport to some FLUNKY at a Pesola Rental Sheit hole , is the height of Ignorance ...
The Reputable Companies never ask for it and there is a reason for that .
I did not misunderstand anything. Sounds like you misunderstood. I'm talking about worthless to everyone BUT the person missing it. People act like they are going to resell his passport on the black market and swap out photos etc like in spy movies.

If people do have jobs, appointments to keep, flights etc and it is so valuable they should have thought about that BEFORE giving it to rent a $35/day Pasola. Miss your flight....your fault, miss appointments...your fault. Need to leave the country next day...your fault. Take it as a painful lesson learned! Zero sympathy, if someone is that careless with it maybe they should not be traveling far from home.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I did not misunderstand anything. Sounds like you misunderstood. I'm talking about worthless to everyone BUT the person missing it. People act like they are going to resell his passport on the black market and swap out photos etc like in spy movies.

If people do have jobs, appointments to keep, flights etc and it is so valuable they should have thought about that BEFORE giving it to rent a $35/day Pasola. Miss your flight....your fault, miss appointments...your fault. Need to leave the country next day...your fault. Take it as a painful lesson learned! Zero sympathy, if someone is that careless with it maybe they should not be traveling far from home.

Are you trying to back Peddle , or what are you saying ?

Giving someone your Passport to hold , a Person who can barely be trusted to make change is not " Careless" . its just Foolish

The person giving up the passport didnt Lose the Passport Carelessly , they DELIBERATELY GAVE it to a person, who they thought they could TRUST..

My warning is . DONT Trust such a person ..with such a Valuable Document
Just reporting it Lost or Stolen >? how does this solve anything when you need to get on a Plane .

what was your point exactly ? because I missed it somehow ..
and what does Distance from Home have to do with a Passport ?

Status
Not open for further replies.