Guachi ?? Please explain

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A good friend has Guinea Hens and geese in his years. Not the best place to walk barefoot, but no intruder goes unnoticed!!.

HB

I agree. I've had a couple friends who had them. Even the dogs were wary of them.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I had a watchieman at a car rental business I used to run in the country. Back in those days (about 9 years ago) I was out at Ave. Venezuela (S.D.) about 3 - 4 nights a week. I stopped by the office and saw no watchie, jumped the fence and started yelling out for him. No one showed. I realized he probably found an unlocked car and was working on his beauty sleep. I also realized if I woke him up I would be the one on the wrong end of his shot gun. I left and called my buddy the colonel and owner of the security company. He said he would investigate and get right back to me. He got back to me saying he spoke to his employee who said he heard me, was in the bathroom but I scared him and so that is why he didn't come out.
How the colonel would even communicate this excuse to me was mind boggling.
Now after more years living here I know enough to stay away from those guys, sleeping or otherwise.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Oh boy, Houston. We've got another person that duck, rolls, and comes up shooting. I wonder if they include testimonials as such in vacation or retirement brochures.

A tad more sensible than expecting the watchman to duck, roll and come up shooting.....duh

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Gary,

I returned one night and my man informed me that the dogs had gone crazy...
We'll? I asked...... he was too afraid to go near them.

We went to investigate..... they had trapped and a cat, dead as a door nail 
He's no longer with me.

It happens 

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Not our dogs. A bunch of them decided to come visit us, not all of them made it back out. :(
I had a friend with 2 big geese, a gander and his female. I came over to help him move some furniture and brought my lab who was very well trained. When I got there I left her in the car but my friend said the geese could defend themselves let her out.
Well I still had her lie down and stay and told my friend as long as they stay away she won't move.
Well the gander decided to get about abfoot in front of her nose and flap his wings in her face. In a flash she had the neck of that 40 lb gander in her mouth and shook him senseless. I yelled at her to stop and she did but geese are no match for a 90 lb lab.
God I miss that dog.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Agreed, watchmen serve 0 purpose..... aside from the "feel-good" sentiment ( that is if having a stranger sitting outside your house makes you feel good....lol ).

And trust ? Dont make me laugh.... a trusty watchman is one that doesnt invite his friends to empty out your whole house when you are not there.....
Anybody seriously think a total stranger is going to repel an armed intruder ( or a bunch of them ) for 10k pesos a month ? And futhermore to protect gringos ?? ....... lol contact me for a bridge I have up for sale. ;) ;)

Cameras dont serve any purpose either. Automatic lights, usless. Nobody is going to come and help you here.... get real.

Dogs, a bunch of them. The bigger and the more vicious, the better. The pack on the outside, and one of the dogs inside the house, with you.
Enough protection, ie high walls, gates, bars on windows/doors, that the intruders have to make a rukus to get in the " compound".
Then the dogs will raise hell. And you can pick the intruders off, one by one, from the safety of your house.

Also, contrary to most houses, leave a space, a LARGE space between the metal bars and your front door.
Also, for big houses, try and have another metal bar obstacle in the corridor leading to your bedroom.
And obviously keep a gun, or 2 in your bedroom...... no 911 here in paradise.

don't forget the barb wire, razor wire, claymores, tracer rounds and det cord on all door knobs

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
don't forget the barb wire, razor wire, claymores, tracer rounds and det cord on all door knobs
Good dog whose hearing hasn't faded and a shotgun just to protect your life. Steal my stuff, I'd be mad but replace it within a few weeks. My life is all I need, and this paddle ball and book of matches.. and this chair - that's all I need.

Polar Bear

Jun 23, 2011
S. M. at his finest! :D

Nice

Good dog whose hearing hasn't faded and a shotgun just to protect your life. Steal my stuff, I'd be mad but replace it within a few weeks. My life is all I need, and this paddle ball and book of matches.. and this chair - that's all I need.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

You joke, but those of who live in the campo like malko does have to take much different precautions than people in cities, condos, gated communities. Our house sits on 15 "L shaped" tareas, we have multiple neighbors and several corners that can't be seen from the house.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
You joke, but those of who live in the campo like malko does have to take much different precautions than people in cities, condos, gated communities. Our house sits on 15 "L shaped" tareas, we have multiple neighbors and several corners that can't be seen from the house.

They can joke all they want, but they are the ones living in la-la-la land.
As I said there is NO help to be expected in the dr, not saying there wont be but you cant count on it as granted.

There is actually a reason dominicans have bars on the doors and windows. 
There is actually a reason dominicans own guns.
There is actually a reason dominicans hardly ever leave their houses empty ( of people ).
There is actually a reason dominicans dont trust their own police.

But to each their own, if you prefer to put your security, and your families, in the hands of an under-trained, under-paid watchmen.......well........

And no, I am not a crazy end-of the-world wacko guy, just a normal person who understands that in the dr one needs a solid base for the protection of ones house. 
And there is more than enough stories in the newspapers and on dr1 to prove me right.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

I love the dog with geese stories, but how many thieves enter your property with a dog? :cheeky:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I love the dog with geese stories, but how many thieves enter your property with a dog? :cheeky:

Sadly most dogs, geese, watchmen, and large reptiles will die when they are tossed a prime piece of meat filled with poison.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016

They can joke all they want, but they are the ones living in la-la-la land.
As I said there is NO help to be expected in the dr, not saying there wont be but you cant count on it as granted.

There is actually a reason dominicans have bars on the doors and windows. 
There is actually a reason dominicans own guns.
There is actually a reason dominicans hardly ever leave their houses empty ( of people ).
There is actually a reason dominicans dont trust their own police.

But to each their own, if you prefer to put your security, and your families, in the hands of an under-trained, under-paid watchmen.......well........

And no, I am not a crazy end-of the-world wacko guy, just a normal person who understands that in the dr one needs a solid base for the protection of ones house. 
And there is more than enough stories in the newspapers and on dr1 to prove me right.

Yes it's true, I live in la la land. You speak of a bunch vicious dogs , bars on windows, high walls, guns. I don't clean poop and when things get that bad for me here, I am moving or going stateside.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Most Dominicans I know don't own guns.

Well there is 200 000 + legally owned/licensed firearms and an estimated 300 000 + illegal/ expired licenses in the dr , and thats just for civilians......
Thats a quite a big chunk. 
Especially since the cost is quite steep for a typical dominican.