Guayacanes?

M

Matilda

I'm wondering if either of you, Mountainannie or Matilda, have been to Guayacanes or Juan Dolio recently? I would agree with Caonabo having visited both recently, Juan Dolio several times. Both have a decaying air about them to me, which is a shame with such potential.

No I haven't been back since I left in 2010, although my husband goes back every so often. Juan Dolio was always going to go downhill once you took away the hotels. That meant no tourists, which meant no one working in tourism (there used to be loads of reps, tour operators, gift shops), and meant less bars, and restaurants. The condos are owned in the main by Dominicans from the capital who come for the weekend and don't leave the apartment. As there were less jobs in Juan Dolio that led to less employment for Guayacanes and added to that a mayor of Guayacanes who has done zero for the last 8 years. Too many people sucking any money there is out of the economy. Both have potential but I doubt will ever realise it.

Matilda

M

mountainannie

I'm wondering if either of you, Mountainannie or Matilda, have been to Guayacanes or Juan Dolio recently? I would agree with Caonabo having visited both recently, Juan Dolio several times. Both have a decaying air about them to me, which is a shame with such potential.

I was probably in Guyacanes last in 2015? But it would be hard to imagine that it could be a whole lot MORE run down than it was then. As noted, the small buildings looked as if they were owned by folks who worked in other's condos - with the exception perhaps of some that were on the beach. The one dive shop had already moved to Bayahibe.

I only went there for the swimming and the beach and lunch at Los Pescadores. That restaurant had a big following from folks in the Capital. I doubt that it will ever close as it was not dependent on the ex-pat tourist trade.

I never much cared about what was going on on the sidewalk - as long as the swimming was great and the sand relatively clean - having a place to have lunch was always an great Add On.

That is why I always preferred Guyacanes to Juan Dolio.

Juan Dolio - not so much the little beach on the town side accessible from the village - near Flor de Moto and another small hotel - had a small OK beach.. I think Riva posted about it? There was a Cafe/Coffee place -- "Bogart's" perhaps? Styled as if it came out of SoHo in NyC.. And a woman in front who gave Great Massages... Plus a small beach that was reef protected.

As Matilda pointed out - the sea on the Other Side - on the strip where the condos were built - is dangerous - with plenty of rip tides.

That end always looked like a Ghost Town.

We had a thread there called something like "the South Beach of the DR" - RE speculators were MAD about Juan Dolio and building like maniacs - expecting a gold rush.

Never happened...

don't expect it ever will.

Bayahibe is a cute town.. sorta sweet - with several dive shops and a couple of boutique hotels - but too far away from SD for a day trip for me. Others do it for lunch.

T

tht

Guayacanes.. take it for what it is. It's a fishing village with some restaurants, food is good on most of them. Guayacanes belongs to San Pedro not to Santo Domingo or Distrito Nacional. Playa Vicini is the local beach for folks from San Pedro, that's where they go to the beach.

M

mountainannie

Guayacanes.. take it for what it is. It's a fishing village with some restaurants, food is good on most of them. Guayacanes belongs to San Pedro not to Santo Domingo or Distrito Nacional. Playa Vicini is the local beach for folks from San Pedro, that's where they go to the beach.

We can fight about that.. Perhaps it Belongs To San Pedro.

But it is Also Where folks from the Capital go to the beach.. That is middle class folks who are not speeding out of town in their Alfas to their places in Casa De Campo.

D

drstock

Bayahibe is a cute town.. sorta sweet - with several dive shops and a couple of boutique hotels - but too far away from SD for a day trip for me. Others do it for lunch.

In my opinion, Bayahibe is an example that other tourist towns would do well to follow. In the main town it's clean and tidy with some good, reasonably priced hotels and restaurants. It has old buildings which reflect the "realness" of the town. Of course, nothing is perfect and last time I was there we walked down through a small park to the "Punto de Vista de la Punta" and there were broken stairs and railings with rubbish strewn around, but that's the exception. Nearby are the new condo developments in Dominicus and the big all-inclusive. However, the main town retains its original charm. Of course it benefits from a major influx of visitors from Punta Cana daily, visiting the Isla Saona, but the town's money seems not to be wasted as it is in so many other places.

C

Caonabo

You are 100% correct.

Guayacanes is a small community within the province of San Pedro de Macoris. Some may be confusing the province with the municipality of the higher population and same name, San Pedro de Macoris. The province is obviously the larger entity consisting of San Pedro de Macoris proper, Consuelo, Quisqueya, Ramón Santana, San José de los Llanos, Juan Dolio and yes, Guayacanes.

The swimming on the condominium side of Juan Dolio, such as in front of Marbella is probably the safest as THIS is where the reef exists to provide calm waters for it's residents/visitors, as opposed to the public beach on the town side accessible from the village, which is CLEARLY the most dangerous, aside from Guayacanes. One look no further than local reports of locals, often teenagers drowning. Unfamiliarity with rip tides along with consumption of alcohol usually have tragic conclusions.

Some of the more tranquil, secluded swimming locations along this shore are actually on privately owned property, and one need take caution if/when trespassing. Keep in mind that the Presidential Summer Residence is also located along these shores, and security is very high year round, as can be expected. Trespassing is not encouraged.

A reference was previously made to Giulia's Cafe, within Juan Dolio. When in the region, either golfing or attending to my properties, this is always a mandatory stopoff for myself. Giulia and Yehuda have been not just successful business owners, but also personal friends of mine for many years. True treasures of, and to the community. The restaurant/bar is operational all days but Wednesday, from early morning until 6pm. They are currently enjoying their summer vacation, and will reopen in July. By far, the best traditional English Breakfast to be had in the RD, as well as an entertaining cast of characters to spend time with and experience the pulse of the local area.

Again, as goes Juan Dolio, goes Guayacanes.

C

Caonabo

In my opinion, Bayahibe is an example that other tourist towns would do well to follow. In the main town it's clean and tidy with some good, reasonably priced hotels and restaurants. It has old buildings which reflect the "realness" of the town. Of course, nothing is perfect and last time I was there we walked down through a small park to the "Punto de Vista de la Punta" and there were broken stairs and railings with rubbish strewn around, but that's the exception. Nearby are the new condo developments in Dominicus and the big all-inclusive. However, the main town retains its original charm. Of course it benefits from a major influx of visitors from Punta Cana daily, visiting the Isla Saona, but the town's money seems not to be wasted as it is in so many other places.

Agreed, but the last thing that Bayahibe needs is a "major influx". It is fine as is.

M

mountainannie

You are 100% correct.

The swimming on the condominium side of Juan Dolio, such as in front of Marbella is probably the safest as THIS is where the reef exists to provide calm waters for it's residents/visitors, as opposed to the public beach on the town side accessible from the village, which is CLEARLY the most dangerous, aside from Guayacanes. One look no further than local reports of locals, often teenagers drowning. Unfamiliarity with rip tides along with consumption of alcohol usually have tragic conclusions.

I grant that you are living near by and probably reading the local papers more

BUT that being said

I have been swimming out in Guaycanes perhaps about 40 times over 15 years

and have never experienced a rip tide -

Perhaps there is one at Playa Vincent or on the rocky side - but ....

The swimming beach by the restaurant Los Pescadores is reef protected

and by far the best swimming I have had on the Island - aside from Punta Poppy in Las Terrenas.

Which brings me back to my original query..

Now that Matilda has helped me PinPoint the location....

The hotel that I had in mind is just across the beach from Los Pescadores. --

So the Next Time anyone goes there from any direction, would you be so kind as to stop for a minute in the Village and see if that hotel is open and inquire for me about the prices?

It was closed for many years, but I have heard reports that it opened again.

T

tht

Playa Vicini..

..Playa Vicini.. not Vincent! Named after the Vicinis a well known very powerful (putting it mildly) family. The Vicinis constitute a significant part of Dominican history.

C

Caonabo

I grant that you are living near by and probably reading the local papers more

BUT that being said

I have been swimming out in Guaycanes perhaps about 40 times over 15 years

and have never experienced a rip tide -

Perhaps there is one at Playa Vincent or on the rocky side - but ....

The swimming beach by the restaurant Los Pescadores is reef protected

and by far the best swimming I have had on the Island - aside from Punta Poppy in Las Terrenas.

Which brings me back to my original query..

Now that Matilda has helped me PinPoint the location....

The hotel that I had in mind is just across the beach from Los Pescadores. --

So the Next Time anyone goes there from any direction, would you be so kind as to stop for a minute in the Village and see if that hotel is open and inquire for me about the prices?

It was closed for many years, but I have heard reports that it opened again.

Let us keep in mind, and agree that nature does change over the course of time.

You have had no shortage of three posters stating the reality of which currently exists in Guayacanes, here and now, but you wish to maintain a solid footing of a certain past. Reminiscing is fine. We all do it. As we get older, a little bit more than previously. But in the end, the actuality of the situation today, is the reality in which we face.

The three posters speaking contrary to the leitmotif presented are, or have been within Guayacanes RECENTLY. Times change.

My best advice is to come for a visit, and investigate for yourself, as it seems the current reports do not meet your standard of acceptance.

M

mountainannie

Let us keep in mind, and agree that nature does change over the course of time.

You have had no shortage of three posters stating the reality of which currently exists in Guayacanes, here and now, but you wish to maintain a solid footing of a certain past. Reminiscing is fine. We all do it. As we get older, a little bit more than previously. But in the end, the actuality of the situation today, is the reality in which we face.

The three posters speaking contrary to the leitmotif presented are, or have been within Guayacanes RECENTLY. Times change.

My best advice is to come for a visit, and investigate for yourself, as it seems the current reports do not meet your standard of acceptance.

Yes - I can believe that even nature changes over time. Hard to believe that the reef that protected the swimming area at Guyacnes would have so eroded in 3 years that riptides would be present but I grant you that possibility.

Which brings me back to my original question of whether or not the one hotel there is open?

I did not know of any Air BnBs open there - but then AirBnBs would not have been my choice as a stay when going anywhere in the DR. I prefer something that is professionally managed.

There was - to my knowledge - only one hotel in Guyacanes.

I did actually stay once in the main house at little motel that was opposite the Swiss Deli - but it was an improvised visit and we were three folks quite desperate to find a place over New Years. My suspicion was that the motel, which was accessible from the highway, was a "pay by the hour" sorta place.

So - the hotel access the beach from Los Pescadores - anyone?

I am not interested in Juan Dolio...

Thanks...

D

dulce

Caonabo,
You are correct on my part. The only recent info I have about Juan Dolio and area is from DR1. I thank you and others in the area.for the recent updates.
When I speak about JD I do mention that I am talking about the past. That is why I do not give advice about it.
What I do know is that JD is no where near what it was when I lived there.

C

Caonabo

Yes - I can believe that even nature changes over time. Hard to believe that the reef that protected the swimming area at Guyacnes would have so eroded in 3 years that riptides would be present but I grant you that possibility.

Which brings me back to my original question of whether or not the one hotel there is open?

I did not know of any Air BnBs open there - but then AirBnBs would not have been my choice as a stay when going anywhere in the DR. I prefer something that is professionally managed.

There was - to my knowledge - only one hotel in Guyacanes.

I did actually stay once in the main house at little motel that was opposite the Swiss Deli - but it was an improvised visit and we were three folks quite desperate to find a place over New Years. My suspicion was that the motel, which was accessible from the highway, was a "pay by the hour" sorta place.

So - the hotel access the beach from Los Pescadores - anyone?

I am not interested in Juan Dolio...

Thanks...

Si Dios lo permite, I will be returning to this part of the country more or less around day one of July. If you have not received the information you are seeking as of that time from other sources within this forum, I will inquire for you.

C

Caonabo

Caonabo,
You are correct on my part. The only recent info I have about Juan Dolio and area is from DR1. I thank you and others in the area.for the recent updates.
When I speak about JD I do mention that I am talking about the past. That is why I do not give advice about it.
What I do know is that JD is no where near what it was when I lived there.

Again my visits to this region of the country are strictly limited to my golf and business agenda, but while there, I do like to drive around and see what is new and what not. If you have any specific items you would like to know about or seek information for, please PM me and I will attempt to find those answers for you as well. They should not be too hard to come by. It is a small area to navigate, and a stop at Giulia's usually answers all that you can not find on your own.

M

mountainannie

Si Dios lo permite, I will be returning to this part of the country more or less around day one of July. If you have not received the information you are seeking as of that time from other sources within this forum, I will inquire for you.

many thanks!

D

Dr_Taylor

Has anyone been out to Guayacanes recently? It is SUCH a gorgeous beach. Outside of Las Terrenas my pick for the most beautiful beach in the DR.
Yes, I was there for Holy Week recently while visiting a friend. Even thought it was packed with locals, it was a good experience. I have to return during a non-holiday time.

M

mountainannie

Yes, I was there for Holy Week recently while visiting a friend. Even thought it was packed with locals, it was a good experience. I have to return during a non-holiday time.

During Semana Santa it must have been packed! At that time, lots of folks from the Capital travel out even by bus. Those with cars bring their coolers. There are guys at the beach to rent out both chairs and umbrellas. You will find that during the week, in season, you can always find them to rent you chairs and umbrellas, and go back and forth to bring you cold Coke and beer. Maybe even go over to the "other beach" - where they have stands for cooking fish? They do not cook fish on the beach by Los Pescadores - because - well "Los Pescadores" is one of the Best Fish Places .... The Swimming is fabulous!

R

Riva_31

Hemingway is building 2 condo Hotels, 24 floors, maybe bring some more activity to the airea, they have some apartment and a building but looks like the management of that part will be diferent than the new one, also build small boutique hotel. Hodelpa has another 6 floor building that is on hold for remodelation while they finish they new hotles in Santo Domingo and Punta Cana, Emotions in Juan Dolio is running pretty well.

C

Caonabo

As mentioned in DR1 Daily News of Tuesday, 25 June 2019.....

Mayor of Guayacanes and Juan Dolio robbed

In the early hours of Monday morning, 24 June 2019, masked men in military gear entered the home of the mayor of Juan Dolio and Guayacanes, John Francisco Hazim Albainy. According to the Police report, they came while he was sleeping on his terrace, hitting him with a pistol, taking money, things from the home, and two motorcycles.

It appears he was sleeping when they entered at 2:20am, and then made him go into the bedroom and open the safe where they took a Cartier watch, gold Cartier bracelet, three gold chains, his cell phone, RD$9,000 in cash and other valuables. He was left tied up with tape across his mouth.

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualid...en-su-vivienda

F

frank recktenwald

Again my visits to this region of the country are strictly limited to my golf and business agenda, but while there, I do like to drive around and see what is new and what not. If you have any specific items you would like to know about or seek information for, please PM me and I will attempt to find those answers for you as well. They should not be too hard to come by. It is a small area to navigate, and a stop at Giulia's usually answers all that you can not find on your own.

Ahhh, Juan Dolio's own National Enquirer. ;)
They're still there?