Gulab Jamun Anyone?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello All,

Not knocking habichuela and rice but sometimes I have a hankering for a thali followed by gulab jamun. Too bad there is no Indian community is Sto. Dom. When I search Google Maps, I find three possibilities and they are all problematic.

Let me dispense with the first one right away. It is "RANI Comida Indu." It has 3 reviews with one case of food poisoning, so forget that. The next two have numerous reviews, superior ratings, and strong indications of superior food. But the first, "Dhabi--True Flavors of India" is kerbside pickup only (British spelling) and the second, "Indian and Pakastani Desi Halal Food" is in a private apartment and very hard to find. For me, takeout only destroys the dining experience--actually there is no dining experience--and is a deal breaker.

Ten years ago in Gazcue there was an ashram that as part of it's fundraising served delicious and plentiful food in beautiful surroundings. I can no longer find it.

Any ideas?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had it for the first time in over 20 years at Taste of India. Unfortunately for you it would be a bit far since it is located in Puerto Plata City.
The good news is that it is the first food I would actually call Indian I ever had in the DR. I recommend it to anyone in the Puerto Plata area.

I hope you find what you want in your area.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I had it for the first time in over 20 years at Taste of India. Unfortunately for you it would be a bit far since it is located in Puerto Plata City.
The good news is that it is the first food I would actually call Indian I ever had in the DR. I recommend it to anyone in the Puerto Plata area.

I hope you find what you want in your area.
I am a regular at Taste of India,great food...

Reactions: windeguy

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
I am a regular at Taste of India,great food...
I guess I'm out of luck. The only viable place in Sto. Dom. with superior reviews is Dhaba: True Flavors of India. But it's take-out only. To me, leaving with food in styrofoam boxes, as opposed to the metal tray you find thali in, destroys the experience. You get it home, it's on the cold side and you end up microwaving. Maybe I'll try it once anyway.