Guns/Firearms Control

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Big different between illegal gun owners and those in violation of immigration laws.
In my opinion of course...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
How swiftly this regime reacts and acts...... that's how

They pull no punches

I would hate to be in their crosshairs

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
The Minister of Interior & Police has said exactly that -

Register or we'll come and take it away
Actually, he said to the legal gun owners, renew your permits to make them up-to-date, or we will take your guns away. This has nothing to do with illegal guns in barrios and there is no way to register an illegal gun to make it legal.

Reactions: Radical

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Governments always want to get rid of legal guns.
They are the responsible ones in society.
And they scare the hell out of the government.
All governments ‼️
I have lived within a group where everyone carries a gun.
Makes people polite and respectful.
And when someone is having a problem...everyone keeps a eye on them.
One of the most idiotic things businesses do is post and promote no concealed weapons in the place of business. If you are a crook it is like having the place and everyone in it searched before carrying out your criminal act. Of course some good, smart people they carry still don't leave their firearm in the car when entering these places. When I am in the states I will not under any circumstances do business with any of them.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Do you mean that if you miss a renewal date because you were out of the DR what would the consequences be?
Then you could renew as soon as you returned and I don't expect it would be an issue.

After all, they have these periodic amnesty periods for those who never renew.

Or did I miss the point of your question?
No, my question is that if during the time between renewals you never leave the D.R. and your passport proves this would you still have to get the notice from your home nation?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Actually, he said to the legal gun owners, renew your permits to make them up-to-date, or we will take your guns away. This has nothing to do with illegal guns in barrios and there is no way to register an illegal gun to make it legal.
No
He was addressing all the unreg'd guns...... all owners are legal but not all are reg'd after their 1st reg'ion

Renew it or lose it is what he's saying ........
and for those now lapsed, 150,000 or so guns, get legal or lose it

Owners' choice......obey or not

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
No
He was addressing all the unreg'd guns...... all owners are legal but not all are reg'd after their 1st reg'ion

Renew it or lose it is what he's saying ........
and for those now lapsed, 150,000 or so guns, get legal or lose it

Owners' choice......obey or not
You've got the point but confused with definitions of the terms.

Once a legal gun is bought and registered in somebody's name (Traspaso), the license is issued and it doesn't have to be registered again (until the next change of an owner). The process every legal gun owner is undergoing every year is called renewal of the license (Renovación de Licencia). You can buy a legal gun in a gun store (Armeria) or from another legal gun owner. In both cases the process of registration in your name is called Traspaso and it has to be done only once. What you do after is renewal.

If your license is expired and you did not renew it on time, that does not make your gun unregistered or illegal. It's still registered in your name, but it's a subject to confiscation due to expiration of the license that was not renewed on time.

When they offer a so-called 'Gracia', that means that during that 'gracia' period (usually one month) gun owners with expired licenses can renew their licenses like nothing happened, so nobody will confiscate their guns if they come to renew their expired licenses during that period.... they also pay for the last renewal only, no matter how many years it was not renewed.... but that happens only during that 'gracia' period, if announced.

An unregistered gun is illegal gun, it can't be registered or issued a license.

Reactions: Radical

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You've got the point but confused with definitions of the terms.

Once a legal gun is bought and registered in somebody's name (Traspaso), the license is issued and it doesn't have to be registered again (until the next change of an owner). The process every legal gun owner is undergoing every year is called renewal of the license (Renovación de Licencia). You can buy a legal gun in a gun store (Armeria) or from another legal gun owner. In both cases the process of registration in your name is called Traspaso and it has to be done only once. What you do after is renewal.

If your license is expired and you did not renew it on time, that does not make your gun unregistered or illegal. It's still registered in your name, but it's a subject to confiscation due to expiration of the license that was not renewed on time.

When they offer a so-called 'Gracia', that means that during that 'gracia' period (usually one month) gun owners with expired licenses can renew their licenses like nothing happened, so nobody will confiscate their guns if they come to renew their expired licenses during that period.... they also pay for the last renewal only, no matter how many years it was not renewed.... but that happens only during that 'gracia' period, if announced.

An unregistered gun is illegal gun, it can't be registered or issued a license.
Yessir......you said it well....... better than I did

And they are acomin' for those who disobey........those who don't comply

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
And they are acomin' for those who disobey........those who don't comply
That will be a bit difficult, because..... where to come to confiscate a gun? Usually they have some old address from 10 years ago on file, or the same address that you have in your cedula (and nobody lives at that address anymore).

But, as I said before, their goal is to force them to renew on time, not to confiscate. They need money, not the guns (because confiscated guns have to be destroyed anyway).

(238,000-50,000) = 188,000 licenses not renewed on time.
188,000 x 9117 pesos = 1713996000 pesos or 29 million dollars per year in lost revenues for MIP and that fancy ballistics lab. They need to force them to renew on time for sure.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If your license is expired, are you still a legal gun owner?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
That would depend on if the law says continued possession of a firearm in that instance is a criminal offense or a civil one ❓
I would suggest the services of an attorney.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Yes. You are still a legal gun owner whose gun has to be confiscated because it was not renewed on time. If PN stops you with the expired license, they confiscate the gun (they will not arrest you for that, it's still a legal gun, but they may bring you to the nearest police station to file the papers). Confiscation doesn't mean that it has to be confiscated forever, it's on MIP's discretion. Normally in this case they may let you renew it and return the gun to you, and they put one 'Falta' to your license. When/if you accumulate 3 'faltas', your license is cancelled and your gun is confiscated permanently, and you're banned from getting a new one.

The same thing is if you don't renew your Marbete on time and you drive your car without it. They stop you and confiscate the car. You are still a legal owner of this car. You have to pay the fine fro driving without Marbete and you have to renew your Marbete paying the fine for late renewal. Then you can get your car back.