Guns/Firearms Control

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes. You are still a legal gun owner whose gun has to be confiscated because it was not renewed on time. If PN stops you with the expired license, they confiscate the gun (they will not arrest you for that, it's still a legal gun, but they may bring you to the nearest police station to file the papers). Confiscation doesn't mean that it has to be confiscated forever, it's on MIP's discretion. Normally in this case they may let you renew it and return the gun to you, and they put one 'Falta' to your license. When/if you accumulate 3 'faltas', your license is cancelled and your gun is confiscated permanently, and you're banned from getting a new one.

The same thing is if you don't renew your Marbete on time and you drive your car without it. They stop you and confiscate the car. You are still a legal owner of this car. You have to pay the fine fro driving without Marbete and you have to renew your Marbete paying the fine for late renewal. Then you can get your car back.
Is it the same if you are driving with an expired driver's license. not to divert from the gun topic, but just a quick side question?

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Is it the same if you are driving with an expired driver's license. not to divert from the gun topic, but just a quick side question?
Similar. Or, like I said before, It's like driving a car with expired Marbete. They take the car away until you pay for the new Marbete, but the car is still your property.

I mean, driving with expired license (or expired Marbete, or expired Insurance) doesn't make your car stolen, but you can't continue driving it until you get your papers up–to–date. The same with the expired gun license, they must confiscate your gun, but if you renew the license, they may give it back to you if you don't have 3 violations accumulated yet and if you didn't violate something else that may get your license suspended or cancelled.

Actually, there are some other conditions when your gun license can be suspended temporarily and your gun can be confiscated, but then returned back to you.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
You really believe that? Guess the same Policia that was supposed to come and lock up all the "Overstayers" will be out in force again.....................................
Sky ... you could be on to something....Just maybe the real ladrones are those "Overstayers"..... they mostly dont commit crimes.. they do spend money here...Soooo build a new overstayer prison............

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
By the way, not renewing on time can be caused by some reasons that are not always considered as an intentional violation. For example, if you got sick or had an accident abroad and just could not return to DR on time to renew your license. That doesn't make you a criminal and your gun illegal. You may present your hospitalization papers and entry stamps from your passport to MIP and they decide if they put one 'falta' to your license or not. They have a department where you can go and speak to somebody who is in charge of such decisions, and they can review your case. You don't need any lawyer for that kind of things if you speak Spanish.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Dear Mr. Know It All, if you are talking about the law, you should know that the law says that the citizenship of naturalized citizens can be revoked in the following cases: if you obtained it using false documents, if you changed your residence to another country during the first year after obtaining your citizenship, if you left DR for more than 10 years without coming back, and if in case of war you take the side of the enemy. Breaking the laws (including the firearms law) may lead to criminal prosecution, but can't result in revoking the citizenship.

Oh Eugene, you're such a stickler for details.
But please tell me,
Are you always such a stickler for the rules, 'Eugene?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I have full intention of getting my licence up-to-date and compliant with the law. But for the most part of 2020 I've been over 3000 miles away from Santo Domingo. That's made it quite tricky to do the ballistics check.

Now I'm back home and have a number of things to catch up on. I'm not the kind of fun lovin criminal Caonabo would have you believe. As much as he would love to kick me out of his country! Gotta love his quote "The law is the law"!

Just because it's the law, it doesn't necessarily make it right.

A few generations ago it was legal to own slaves.

Keep calm and carry on................

Owning a pistol here is a real pain the derrière. I'll probably sell it soon and replace it with a shotgun. One time licence, no more renewals. I only have it for home defence anyway. I never leave the house with my gun. But my main concern is that I have young kids. My pistol is well hidden, they would never find it. A shotgun is harder to hide in a place where I could retrieve it quickly when needed.

Blah, blah, blah, no excuses.......get ya steps in order flyboy.......get them in order.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
One of the most idiotic things businesses do is post and promote no concealed weapons in the place of business. If you are a crook it is like having the place and everyone in it searched before carrying out your criminal act. Of course some good, smart people they carry still don't leave their firearm in the car when entering these places. When I am in the states I will not under any circumstances do business with any of them.
Then I take it you do not do any business in any government office?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Then I take it you do not do any business in any government office?
Well, first of all I don't live in the states, only occasional visits so it doesn't come up as an issue for me. The last Government office I was in I believe was the DMV office in Reno Nevada, about 7 years ago, to get a license and there were armed police or security. I don't have a problem with Gov agencies, especially those with armed guards not allowing a fire arm nor do I have a problem with banks not allowing a fire arm. You are comparing apples and oranges. A government building and a retail business/restaurant are hardly the same thing.

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
Oh Eugene, you're such a stickler for details.
But please tell me,
Are you always such a stickler for the rules, 'Eugene?
I always renew my gun license on time, as well as I renew my Dominican drivers license, marbetes and insurance for my cars on time too. It doesn't take much effort to do so, as well as it's not that difficult to stop on red light, do not turn if there's Do Not Turn sign, do not park under No Parking sign, ... what else? ah, as a citizen, I have to renew my Dominican passport an cedula every 10 years. There are not that many rules here in DR, you can easily follow them all :)

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Well, first of all I don't live in the states, only occasional visits so it doesn't come up as an issue for me. The last Government office I was in I believe was the DMV office in Reno Nevada, about 7 years ago, to get a license and there were armed police or security. I don't have a problem with Gov agencies, especially those with armed guards not allowing a fire arm nor do I have a problem with banks not allowing a fire arm. You are comparing apples and oranges. A government building and a retail business/restaurant are hardly the same thing.
I have no idea of where you are or where you go. As it should be. But yeah, if the bar says no guns, you can bet there are some anyway.