Guzman 80 page Investors Guide-Employee Rights

Feb 16, 2016
-
@kenshireen
You received a guide written by a law firm.
I would not ever pose a question about the law here on DR1
All you get are lay opinions.
The best advice is going to come from a good Dominican attorney who knows the area of law you have a question about.
That has been my personal experience.
Why people wish to take issue with me about that I have no idea.
I have an attorney to advise me when I have a question about Dominican Law.
When my attorney is not an expert on the area of law that my question covers, one with the expertise is found.
This arrangement has served me well.

Reactions: JD Jones

kenshireen

May 21, 2022
usa
I think Ken you said your girlfriend worked at Secrets Cap Cana? I would find it extremely unlikely that she received no Christmas Bonus/Salary. I would seriously doubt the hotel/corporation would put themselves in that position with any employee. I think every employee in the DR knows the ins/outs of the labor laws.
She told me she got the "Doble". When I asked her originally I used the term Christmas Salary and she did not understand

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

kenshireen

May 21, 2022
usa
I think Ken you said your girlfriend worked at Secrets Cap Cana? I would find it extremely unlikely that she received no Christmas Bonus/Salary. I would seriously doubt the hotel/corporation would put themselves in that position with any employee. I think every employee in the DR knows the ins/outs of the labor laws.
I explained that she said she did get the "Doble".
When I told her that I was going to talk to the lawyer about vacation/working hourse she didn't want me to. I think she is concerned about losing her job.. She is not a savvy as you might think when it comes to these matters

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I explained that she said she did get the "Doble".
When I told her that I was going to talk to the lawyer about vacation/working hourse she didn't want me to. I think she is concerned about losing her job.. She is not a savvy as you might think when it comes to these matters
The double is the Christmas bonus.

kenshireen

May 21, 2022
usa
I just read your GF's situation to my Dominican husband. He was smiling and said "she's lying". We have many friends and family who work in hotels and everyone gets their Christmas bonus, everyone gets vacation. I'm curious to hear what's happening after you've been there for a month or two.
Just to be clear. She began working at Secrets in March 2021. Under the law she is entitled to 14 days after one year.
Which means that she should receive vacation between March 2022 and March 2023. They had originally given her the 14 days in November and then retracted. Then they told her in March/April 2023. She still has not got it. I know that for a fact because I have seen her for the 12 days at work EVERY DAY for the past year.

Now she is sick and is going to need an operation and my fear is that they are going to make her use vacation against the recuperation

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
yes, I know... But originally I used the words christmas bonus .. when I said doble she said yes
Have not looked at this thread for awhile and I saw this. So when you are confronted with the FACT that is it not possible to NOT get the XMAS bonus or Double pay or whatever you or she wants to call it HER story changes. Of course she got it. Well we know she got it and now you know also. Smarten up before it is too late.........................

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
If the facts are as originally stated, the employee has the right to sue the employer. She could also resign from her job for cause ("dimitir") and claim, not only what she's owed, but also her severance pay ("auxilio de cesantía). However, it should be taken into account that stature of limitations in labor matters are very short.

Reactions: CristoRey

kenshireen

May 21, 2022
usa
If the facts are as originally stated, the employee has the right to sue the employer. She could also resign from her job for cause ("dimitir") and claim, not only what she's owed, but also her severance pay ("auxilio de cesantía). However, it should be taken into account that stature of limitations in labor matters are very short.
She is a poor hotel worker.. how can she sue she has no funds for an attorney

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
You just got legal advise gratis from one of the lawyers who most likely wrote or reviewed before it was published the labor law document you reference.

Maybe you should explain exactly what is your relationship with thie woman you call your girlfriend (GF) in your original post in this thread (#1 above). Or, just set up a consultation with one of the lawyers at Guzman Ariza. You have previously represented that you are in a comitted partnership with your "GF." And, that you have suficient wealth to finance your new adventure in the RD. Lawyer fees are very reasonable here. The source of funds to pay an attorney seems clear.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
You just got legal advise gratis from one of the lawyers who most likely wrote or reviewed before it was published the labor law document you reference.

Maybe you should explain exactly what is your relationship with thie woman you call your girlfriend (GF) in your original post in this thread (#1 above). Or, just set up a consultation with one of the lawyers at Guzman Ariza. You have previously represented that you are in a comitted partnership with your "GF." And, that you have suficient wealth to finance your new adventure in the RD. Lawyer fees are very reasonable here. The source of funds to pay an attorney seems clear.
Good advice.

Feb 16, 2016
-

Why does he need to do that @franco1111 (refer the the question you posed to the OP in bold)?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Why does he need to do that @franco1111 (refer the the question you posed to the OP in bold)?
He doesn't need to. It is simply a proposition. Note the words: "Maybe you should explain..." Not "you need to explain..."

The OP said, in response to the post from Sr Guzman - "She is a poor hotel worker.. how can she sue she has no funds for an attorney."

The OP is distancing himself from his GF, as he calls her. As if he has no relationship with her. When, in fact, he has identified her a his future life partner, and is already, if he speaks accurately, spending a significant amount of time and money moving the relationship forward. If one consults a lawyer, it is best to present the facts of the case accurately. Or not :) . She is not simply an unknown to him "poor hotel worker." He may not know that he is responding to the managing partner - last time I had reason to know - of the law firm that wrote the labor law document he cites.

But as we say, para nada. Thanks for the comment.

Feb 16, 2016
-
He doesn't need to. It is simply a proposition. Note the words: "Maybe you should explain..." Not "you need to explain..."

The OP said, in response to the post from Sr Guzman - "She is a poor hotel worker.. how can she sue she has no funds for an attorney."

The OP is distancing himself from his GF, as he calls her. As if he has no relationship with her. When, in fact, he has identified her a his future life partner, and is already, if he speaks accurately, spending a significant amount of time and money moving the relationship forward. If one consults a lawyer, it is best to present the facts of the case accurately. Or not :) . She is not simply an unknown to him "poor hotel worker." He may not know that he is responding to the managing partner - last time I had reason to know - of the law firm that wrote the labor law document he cites.

But as we say, para nada. Thanks for the comment.
You are welcome.

You are one of the few that is willing to explain their thought processes and logic.
Your post is a prime example of how DR1 could be much better than it is currently if everyone stepped up presented detailed insights into their thoughts.
But my hope is probably in vain for DR1 as it is already moving into the commoditization of commentary and thought.

I asked another poster to elaborate on his thoughts and I got:
"You are a nit who picks".
So many intellectually bankrupt people posting.
I refuse to show up in court with them.

But as we say on the street: GTF!!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I asked another poster to elaborate on his thoughts and I got:
"You are a nit who picks".
So many intellectually bankrupt people posting.
I refuse to show up in court with them.

But as we say on the street: GTF!!
When it comes to the court of public opinion, I think it safe to say both you and I are convicted felons 😁😁😁