Guzman Ariza

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chas123

Here I'll give you free Dominican legal advice.. Settling this outside of a legal battle will cost you a fraction of the price and yield much better results.. Don't believe me, keep trying the Dominican "legal" system.

I think you are 100% correct. I need to mediate with the mother, who can be accommodating at times (just have to catch her at the right day/time). any citizen, etc can go to the tribunal de niños, ninas, y adolescentes and get this done. as long as both parents agree

again, saving 1000's. I've already started at that court in bonao with early success. anyone can PM me for details. don't use these people. just need a little know how

C

chas123

My experience with them was a bad one too! When I was going through my divorce went to the Guzman Ariza office in Sosua and was quoted 2500 USD for the whole process, begging to end, no matter how many audiencias or whatever, 2500 and that's it! Then after the second audiencia the lawyer told me I had to pay 2000$ more, the reason was that the ex's lawyer had appealed or something like that so my lawyer was gonna have to go to the court a few more times. I told him that I was quoted 2500$ all in, no matter what happens, he said either I pay the extra 2000 or he wouldn't represent me anymore. I paid because I wanted to get everything over with ASAP.

sorry to hear that

C

chas123

I'm sorry that you've had this bad experience with Guzmán Ariza. I can assure that our standards for client service, which have helped us become the largest firm in the country and the correspondent in the Dominican Republic of some of the largest law firms in the world, are not as you have experienced. Please let me know the names of attorneys you have dealt with. You can write to my personal email address (fguzman@drlawyer.com) or to complaints@drlawyer.com. Thank you.

I will do that, and really appreciate you taking the time to reply

C

chas123

This. Time heals all wounds. I would speak to the mother, make amends, get back on her good side. Women here fight to have the father (s) of their children in their life and here's a mother who doesn't want the father around?.

I'm not interested, but there's a back story here that's not being told.

Being a financially independent person of means living in Sosua, I would think sitting down and trying to mend the relationship would be a piece of cake.

After all, there was a point in time you were both sufficiently interested in each other to make a baby.

I know women here who have multiple children with multiple fathers, and they all act like one big happy family.

A person of your intelligence and understanding should be able to figure out how they do it.[/QUOTE
Not sure how to respond to this one. If there is a backstory, it is simply that I came here a fews years back, in around 2015 (living in NY). I met this girl, a vacation fling as it were, and saw her a couple times subsequently on other visits. Mistakes happen, we had a child.

I am here solely to be close to my daughter and love her and would do anything for her. The mother uses that and my means as you say, to get things from me. She uses my daughter to benefit herself. That's enough information as I will not go into any other messy details.

As far as your experience with Dominican families, I can assure you, she is nothing like that, and neither is her family. 'And I know them well.

C

chas123

This. Time heals all wounds. I would speak to the mother, make amends, get back on her good side. Women here fight to have the father (s) of their children in their life and here's a mother who doesn't want the father around?.

Being a financially independent person of means living in Sosua, I would think sitting down and trying to mend the relationship would be a piece of cake.

After all, there was a point in time you were both sufficiently interested in each other to make a baby.

I know women here who have multiple children with multiple fathers, and they all act like one big happy family.

A person of your intelligence and understanding should be able to figure out how they do it.[/QUOTE
Not sure how to respond to this one. If there is a backstory, it is simply that I came here a fews years back, in around 2015 (living in NY). I met this girl, a vacation fling as it were, and saw her a couple times subsequently on other visits. Mistakes happen, we had a child.

I am here solely to be close to my daughter and love her and would do anything for her. The mother uses that and my means as you say, to get things from me. She uses my daughter to benefit herself. That's enough information as I will not go into any other messy details.

As far as your experience with Dominican families, I can assure you, she is nothing like that, and neither is her family. 'And I know them well.

this reply got mangled for some reason, let me try again

C

chas123

A person of your intelligence and understanding should be able to figure out how they do it.

As far as your experience with Dominican families, and with all respect, I can assure you, she is nothing like that, and neither is her family. And I know them well.

D

Dr_Taylor

Please be advised,Guzman,is not the best firm in the Dominican Republic,even though it gets top billing here.

I am very curious, now. What is the "top firm" in the DR? I am presuming that this firm is the corresponding firm for Arnold & Porter; Covington & Burling; or Cravath, Swaine in the U.S. Most nationals, in any country, could not name the top law firms, let alone afford the hourly billing. Who do Fortune 100 firms use in the DR for local counsel? As a general matter, Guzman Ariza does not have to be the best; however, their international billings strongly suggest that they possess a reputation worthy of serving as local counsel to those outside the DR. I am done with this dead horse. This reminds me of a potential client who asked me if a U.S. fourth tier law school was a good law school. I responded thus: It all depends what you seek in a law school. While you may never be considered for a Supreme Court clerkship, you will became a lawyer who can find the bathrooms in the courthouse.

B

bob saunders

I am very curious, now. What is the "top firm" in the DR? I am presuming that this firm is the corresponding firm for Arnold & Porter; Covington & Burling; or Cravath, Swaine in the U.S. Most nationals, in any country, could not name the top law firms, let alone afford the hourly billing. Who do Fortune 100 firms use in the DR for local counsel? As a general matter, Guzman Ariza does not have to be the best; however, their international billings strongly suggest that they possess a reputation worthy of serving as local counsel to those outside the DR. I am done with this dead horse. This reminds me of a potential client who asked me if a U.S. fourth tier law school was a good law school. I responded thus: It all depends what you seek in a law school. While you may never be considered for a Supreme Court clerkship, you will became a lawyer who can find the bathrooms in the courthouse.

These guys say they are the top law firm in the DR. http://phlaw.com/en/about-us/19 and my wife's family says in Santo Domingo http://aclaw.com/.

B

Big

Most lawyers never go to the court house. Every lawyer I have ever used has rarely if ever been in a courtroom. I have also never asked where he went to law school before retaining one. Never have asked a doctor, dentist or plumber where they were schooled. It may come up in conversation

T

TropicalPaul

Deleted

D

DR_Guy

Definitely Pellerina & Herrerra for corporate. Probably really good at other stuff too.

R

RDKNIGHT

all lawyers are the SC** of the world blood sucking vermon

S

sayanora

The "best" firm in the DR depends on your case period. There are attorneys that are the "best" for criminal, family, civil, real estate, and every other topic that lawyers can dig their claws into. The best business people and people in general are those that can avoid using their services. Obviously large corporations employ their services to avoid having to get involved but unless you're talking 1 million US+ if you are using an attorney you are just making people that don't deserve to be rich rich. just my humble opinion..

S

sayanora

I always laugh when I hear someone talking about a 4million DR house and a small mantencion hiring a lawyer, basically you're giving money away to judges and attorneys instead of just coming to an agreement that's cheaper and more amicable for everyone involved.

T

TropicalPaul

unless you're talking 1 million US+ if you are using an attorney you are just making people that don't deserve to be rich rich. just my humble opinion..

I disagree. If you are trying to do more than live a reasonably basic life in Dom Rep - for example run a business of any sort - you will soon find out that there is a huge amount of bureaucracy and procedures that you need to follow. Departments that you should register with, forms that you should fill in, documents you should file. Unless you have a lawyer on board, this all becomes overwhelming. It's honestly cheaper and less hassle to employ someone to sort all of that stuff out and make sure you are up to date.

F

Fabio J. Guzman

Please be advised,Guzman,is not the best firm in the Dominican Republic,even though it gets top billing here.

The two most prestigious legal directories in the world are Legal 500 and Chambers and Partners; both are based in London. Guzmán Ariza is a Top Tier firm in Legal 500 and a Top Ranked firm in Chambers. Also, personally, I have been ranked as the top lawyer in the Dominican Republic (the only “Senior Statesman”) in Real Estate and Tourism. (Apologies to all for tooting my own horn).

Of course, this does not mean that sometimes, despite all our efforts and internal controls, things don’t turn out as planned. Even then, however, unlike many firms in the Dominican Republic (and abroad), at Guzmán Ariza we don’t shy away from listening to dissatisfied clients, learning from them, and, whenever possible, trying to make amends.

I

irishpaddy

I always laugh when I hear someone talking about a 4million DR house and a small mantencion hiring a lawyer, basically you're giving money away to judges and attorneys instead of just coming to an agreement that's cheaper and more amicable for everyone involved.

if life were that simple ….that you could survive without lawyers ...what a world we would have

T

TropicalPaul

Of course, this does not mean that sometimes, despite all our efforts and internal controls, things don’t turn out as planned. Even then, however, unlike many firms in the Dominican Republic (and abroad), at Guzmán Ariza we don’t shy away from listening to dissatisfied clients, learning from them, and, whenever possible, trying to make amends.

I disagree. I sent an email to the dedicated complaints email at your firm, and the only response I got was from a junior admin person. I honestly think that Guzman Ariza needs to ask customers honestly what they think about the service they are receiving instead of assuming that things are perfect. Most big companies these days send regular surveys to their customers, or invite them to post a review online. It hurts to be told that your service is not as good as you think it is, but honestly it is better for people to tell you than just walk away and spend their money with another firm. Certainly there are a few people on this forum who have said that they don't think your service is all that great. I used to use your firm years ago, but now I spend thousands and thousands of dollars with another firm because, in my opinion, their service is much better than yours.

My issue is not with the quality of your legal work or your lawyers, but the difficulties in communicating with your firm and how hard it is to do business with you. In my experience, your staff in Santo Domingo don't answer the phone, it often rings and rings and rings. Then when you are lucky enough to get someone to answer, you get the Spanish inquisition before being put through to a secretary who tells you that someone will call you back and go away. And then nobody calls you back, so you call again, rinse and repeat.

F

Fabio J. Guzman

Thank you, Tropical Paul. We'll do our utmost to do better with our present and future clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.